Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:42 PM   #21

OK ..... I solved a problem ....
Reducing image size before saving to small jpeg helped a lot ....
... as did editing my previous two posts to reduce image size .... otherwize the ballroom pics could only be seen by extensive scrolling.

This was taken 1/200sec at f13 ... I was impressed by the sharpness and the tonal range. I did manual with help of histogram and the blown-highlight warning lines.

All the best

Glyn
Attached Images

Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:20 PM   #22

Hi, Glyn!

I am still learning how to use the camera myself, so I'm afraid I can't answer your questions concerning the indoor action shots. Maybe Nicholas will be able to help? But I loved seeing the ballroom pictures despite your reservations about the noise. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Here in the States we currently have a very popular show on t.v. called "Dancing With the Stars" that has revived interest in this type of dancing. Is it very popular in the U.K.?

BTW, thanks for asking about my friend. Her birthday is next week, on the 14th. I have the picture printed, matted, framed and wrapped in bright RED paper ... hope she likes it! Cheers, Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:24 PM   #23

The seaside home with the widow's walk is lovely ...

My neighbor is from Yorkshire. I showed her your pics and, tough horsewoman that she is, I definitely saw a tear in her eye! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:01 PM   #24

see next message ( posted twice)
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:04 PM   #25

Hello All and Glyn2,

Try manual focus. Once positioned at an event with optimum light ( as best as possible ) I would make sure the performers are 'equi-distant' from my camera from one side of the viewfinder to the other.

Then by maintaining the camera in the same position at all times ( as best as you can hand holding ) you should max zoom into the performers as they are going by you.

Manually focus as best you can at max zoom. once you are satisfied with your focus,

return your zoom to the desirable mm to cover the scene.

Do not move your focus ring !!

The wider image will still be in focus from your max zoom setting ( yes, this works ).

Now you will be ready to capture the action with almost no shutterlag due to focusing.

Going with 1/125 and high ISO should let you capture some good, focused pictures.

I re-worked one of your images to show a captured moment can be 'saved' at times.

Regards, Nicholas
Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:36 PM   #26

Hi Nick

Thanks for re-doing that image .. was it Neat image that you had recommended earlier that you used?
I was a bit sad when I posted it .. because It was one of my first with the R1 ... and I had needed to give it such strong post processing that I might as well have used my Caplio.
I will certainly put your advice into practice. I had already been considering that. The caplio has a great moe wher it is simply turning off focus and putting it at an apeture setting which and focus distance which maximized in-focusness between infinity and as close as it can get. THen thre is the very low latency between pressing shutter and taking picture. That is definitely what I want with the R1.

Ideally someone will mess with the firmware and publish the results but until then,I will definitely use your manual focus method .. and also see what I can do to maximize depth of feild. With my old Eos1 I would be riding the zoom constantly and follow focus would just do its job.

I think with practise I will learn to juggle the manual focus. I must say it is a joy to be back to using big chunky rings to adjust zoom and ofus ... though the R1 focus ring is indeed bery easy to jog.No probllem ... just anotherlearning curve! I have alerady come to love this camea .. and last Monday and Tuesday were spent being very pleasently surprised by the quality of the shots travelling to and from the comp and staying over in Bognor where the other posted picture is taken.

Ria ... Hi

Dancing with the Stars .... the English version of that is 'Strictly Come Dancing' .... Many years ago there was a ballroom program called 'Come Dancing' .... around the 1960's. Then there was that film 'Strictly Ballroom' so the program name was a blend of those. Some of the judges from the English version have been on the American version ..... Mr Tollioli and also the Woman who was fonder of the Hot Gossip dance group.
When I compete then the 'judges' are professional dancers and some of them are the ones who have been the 'professional partners' in the TV program.

I'm glad the quality did not interfere with your enjoyment ... I have some which were taken with my compact Ricoh Caplio .... I will have a look for them and post one or two.

That picture of yours .. matted and framed .. yes .. I can imagine that. I bet it looks very good. I am sure she will enjoy it. I was looking at Nick's Baptism pictures and something similar about his and the one you took .... the peoplebeing photo'dare obviously fond of the person behind the camera.

All the best

Glyn
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:53 PM   #27

OK .... this and the following are taken on Ricoh Caplio GX8 compact camera. And both are cropped from wide angle = 28mm.

Thing about dance compeittions is that we I get to see the same people week after week ... refining their skills. The feeling is very much one of competing 'WITH' rather than 'against' ... we tend to have great admiration of and suport for each others' developing skills.
Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:56 PM   #28

And this was taken from the passenger seat of the car driving home along the motorway.

Best wishes

Glyn
Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:29 PM   #29

Ria asked about threshold on unsharp mask. I usually just use 0. But on Glyn's ballroom pic here, it helped a bit. I used:

Unsharp Mask
Radius: .1
Amount: 1.70
Threshold: 25

I think the threshold maybe helps to preserve a bit of the "wanted" blur in this case? I'm not really sure....I'm just playing around eyeballing this. As with the other one I tried here, I found I couldn't really improve on the color. Played around with saturation and a few other things, ended up setting them back to 0. This is sharpened only.

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:56 PM   #30

I can get sharper with USM
Radius: .2
Amount: 2.50
Threshold: 0

But it also starts to look "noisy". I'm not sure which is better (and it might be different on the full sized file):

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote