Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:51 PM   #1

There are tons of fake Sony Memory Stick DUO high speed cards all over ebay and unfortunately I got one. The 1GB is fake and the 2GB is real. The fake ones have the writing engraved into the back of them where the real ones have smooth, shiny hologram writing. The fake ones have shiny gold contacts and the real ones have matte finishes. The packaging of the fake ones have round seams where they are bonded shut and the real ones have oval seams. And as you can see, my fake one was made out of cheap plastic and completely broke apart and is now unusable!
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:07 PM   #2

Looks like I also got a fake. Did you have any performance problems (data storage)other than what appears to be crapola plastic casing?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:15 PM   #3

Yeah, it always worked fine and there is a true 1GB of storage on it. Since the casing fell apart it won't lock into a Memory Stick Duo slot, but I still use it in an adapter with my V3 and P200. I do notice that in burst mode, the real Sony stick saves images faster so I guess the data transfer rate is a bit slower with the fake one.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the info - I guess that I will minimize handling the stick, if that will decrease the possibility of damaging the casing.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

very handy info thanks very much!

this should be stickied.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:47 PM   #6

I regret being contrary, but I think it might be possible that you're simply seeing the differences between a 1GB and a 2GB device. I have both, and the 1GB device has precisely identical laser engraving as yours (with the exception of the SN). Other features are the same as well. Mine has held up perfectly well over the past year, so I do not have your case failure problem.

The 2GB device has a printed label similar to yours.

Both devices were shipped direct from Sony.

Certainly it's possible yours isn't a real unit, but based on what I see, you cannot use the engraving/printing method or contact appearance as a point of differentiation.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:12 AM   #7

interesting points you bring up shinigami...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:08 AM   #8

hereis a very handy guide that outlines some of what CSN has written above:

[align=left]Currently, there are a huge number of fake SONY memory sticks on the market.
As well as eBay, and many (seemingly reputable) on-line stores, fakes seem to have appeared on Bartercard as well.
They look so real that even suppliers can't see the differences.
And, of course, all on-line sellers use pictures of the genuine items (taken from the SONY web site) in their listings.
The following information should show you how to recognise fake SONY memory stick pro duo products.

[/align]
[align=left]1 - Prices
The prices of fake MS Pro Duo are usually very cheap. The real prices for genuine Sony sticksas of March 15th 2006 are

2GB HS High Speed with Red Stripe A$999 Discount Street price A$800+
2GB Standard SpeedA$299 Discount Street price A$???+
1GB HS High Speed with Red stripe A$244 Discount Street price A$???+
1GB Standard Speed A$159 Discount Street price A$???+

However, watch out, some Bartercard sellers are starting their auctions (or listings) at the retail price of the genuine article.

2 - Seals
Original Sony Packages have long (shaped like a staple) heat seals. Note, they are heat sealed. Fake Sony packages have round seals, and the seals seem to using glue not heat.

3 - Capacity
Some fake 2GB MS Pro Duo cards used to show 1948MB and 1959MB of memory space when tested. Genuine ones have a capacity of 1909MB while some devices will read them at 1910MB. WARNING: Fake 2GB cards may now show any of these figures - including the 1910 figure of genuine sticks - BUT some fakes have a true capacity of only 1GB. Try transferring as much data as possible to your card and see if it will hold close to 2GB - most 2GB fakes won't hold anything like 2GB.

4 - Transfer Speed
The transfer speed of a real HS (High Speed) card (red stripe) is about 80Mbps. Fake ones will have a slower transfer speed. 1948MB fake one actually can do about 65Mbps to 70Mbps - the 1959MB one can do at most 60Mbps.

To test timing, try transferring a 1GB file to the stick and use a stopwatch, or the second hand of your watch, to calculate the time of the file transfer. This is the easiest way.

5 - Physical Structure
A fake MS Pro Duo is often thicker than a genuine one. Try fitting it into an adapter, and you will find that it has problems. It doesn't seems to fit into the adapter easily (feels like its squeezing in). The newer fake versions (1959mb versions) even have problems fitting into a PSP (PlayStation Portable)

The words on the rear of a fake MS Pro Duo card are printed on, while on a genuine Sony card they are engraved into it. To know if it is printed on or not, just use your thumb to feel it. On a fake one, the words feel a bit raised. On a fake, you cant feel the words.

On a fake, the metallic stripes, also called the connectors, could have black holes - as the metal stripe did not fully cover the black plastic. This is most often seen on the1959mb fake version and the 1948mb newer version fake. A genuine Sony stick is fully covered to the bottom.

6 - Package
Most fake packages actually look exactly the same as the genuine Sony packages. Most people can not actually see any differences. Even the hologram seems real.

REAL SONY PACKAGE SEALS
Note also that this is a genuine Japanese market package - so has the "PSP Compatible" logo

FAKE SONY PACKAGE SEALS
Note also that this fake English Language package has a "PSP Compatible" logo

However...............

At the side of the package there are 4 pictures. Look carefully! On some fake packages the pictures are not in the correct order.

Some fake packages have the Sony "PSP Compatible" logo on the top right corner of the pack. But note that the genuine Japanese Sony package also has this logo. So if the package you are checking has Japanese writing all over it, this point can not be used to determine that you have a fake. However, if you are checking a Chinese or English language package, this is a good sign that the pack is a fake. (See pics above)

On the rear of some fake packages the black printing has white spots in it. Good quality printing on genuine Sony packaging will not have any white spots.
[/align]

The above is taken directly from --> http://reviews.ebay.com.au/SONY-Memo...00000000797785

================================================== ===

Or in summary: