Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 13, 2003, 3:29 PM   #1

Default Questions about Sony CD350

I read the review of the Sony CD350 on StevesDigicam.com but I still have a few questions:

1. What is startup time with a blank CD?

2. Can it let you shoot photos and store them in the buffer while the CD drive starts?

3. Can you zoom in and out while recording video? If not can you at least zoom to the amount you want before you start recording video?

I am now hesitating between this and the Minolta Xt, I'm leaning a lot towards to sony due this its high video quality and cheap media.

Thanks
ch2s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:14 PM   #2

Quote:
I read the review of the Sony CD350 on StevesDigicam.com but I still have a few questions:

1. What is startup time with a blank CD?
I've got the cd250 so I'll take a stab at em. :twisted:

1. I got one startup of 15 seconds after I had formated a cdrw, and after that I got 2-3 in a row with 3-4 sec startups.

Quote:
2. Can it let you shoot photos and store them in the buffer while the CD drive starts?
2. you can shoot a pic about every 3-4 secs while the camera does write the pic to the cd.

Quote:
3. Can you zoom in and out while recording video? If not can you at least zoom to the amount you want before you start recording video?
3. Well, I can zoom in and out while recording video with my 250. :twisted: So, the 350 should also. But,mine is limited to 3x optical only.

Anymore questions?
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:19 PM   #3

Do you like the CD250? Would you recommend that I get the CD350?

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you like the CD250? Would you recommend that I get the CD350?
Thats a pretty loaded question. 8)
I love my 250, it takes some really great photos, and is fairly easy to use. Sometimes the cds are a blessing and a curse all in one. I've had a couple of disc errors that lost some photos, but nothing that I really wanted or needed. I do love the fact I can take the cd straight out of the camera, into my cdrw drive and copy all the pics.

I have to point out that the 250 and 350 are more of the point and shoot type of camera. You have some control over some settings, but f-stops and shutter speeds are all auto only.

These are also not small cameras. I think mine feels just about like the SLR 35mm camera I had while in HS.

I would recommend any of the cd based cameras from sony, but I'm kinda biased. :twisted:
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:21 PM   #5

One other question I forgot.

When you use CDRWs, and you then decide to delete a photo or video, do you get the space back or do you have to reformat the CD to get the space of deleted files back?

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2003, 7:37 AM   #6

Quote:
One other question I forgot.

When you use CDRWs, and you then decide to delete a photo or video, do you get the space back or do you have to reformat the CD to get the space of deleted files back?
You do get the space back. But I have found that your better off waiting until you have viewed your pics on your pc before you delete them. Or better yet, reformat the disc after you get all your pics off the disc. It seems to work better, and well with the large number of pics I can get on a cd, I really don't worry about deleting until I see them on something besides the lcd on the back of the camera. :P
Old Jun 14, 2003, 3:25 PM   #7

The only thing keeping me from being sure about getting the CD350 is the size, would you feel comfortable carrying it with a neckstrap around your neck for a few hours?

Also, another thing I thought about: Would there be problems if you try to take pictures or video where there is a lot of vibrations (like on a bus riding on a bumpy road for example)?

I first wanted the Minolta Dimage Xt but the video quality is quite bad compared to the sony CD350 and the fact that the sony uses $1 CDs is a huge plus.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2003, 4:35 PM   #8

Quote:
The only thing keeping me from being sure about getting the CD350 is the size, would you feel comfortable carrying it with a neckstrap around your neck for a few hours?
Oh yeah, no problem there. The neck strap that comes with it is very confortable.

Quote:
Also, another thing I thought about: Would there be problems if you try to take pictures or video where there is a lot of vibrations (like on a bus riding on a bumpy road for example)?
Yeah, _that_ is a problem. We have taken some photos while riding in a car, and had a few not be recorded on the cd. My GF was holding the cam too close to her body when it tried to access the disc and the pic fail to be saved.

Quote:
I first wanted the Minolta Dimage Xt but the video quality is quite bad compared to the sony CD350 and the fact that the sony uses $1 CDs is a huge plus.
Video was not a big deal for us (we got a camcorder the same time we got the digicam), but the use of _cheap_ media was. We've only had a couple of problems with the cdrw (dirty or something like that), but with the ability to put the disc straight into a cdrw drive, we saved the pics we couldn't download otherwise.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:52 AM   #9

I'm reading the manual of the CD250/400 (they dont have the manual for the 350 online) and it says with CDRW you only gain the space back if you delete the last video/image taken, is this true?

If so then I think it is a serious problem because I often takes 5 photos/videos and then delete them all but the best one, so I would be wasting a huge amount of space if it works like this, can you confirm this?

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm reading the manual of the CD250/400 (they dont have the manual for the 350 online) and it says with CDRW you only gain the space back if you delete the last video/image taken, is this true?

If so then I think it is a serious problem because I often takes 5 photos/videos and then delete them all but the best one, so I would be wasting a huge amount of space if it works like this, can you confirm this?
On this, you are right. With my 250, I can take upwards of 300 1600(3:2) pics. ( I don't use the sony mavica cdrws anymore) In this case, I don't delete _any_ photos until I get a chance to see them on my monitor. The lcd on the cam is _not_ the best way to review pics you have taken.

Quote:
But I have found that your better off waiting until you have viewed your pics on your pc before you delete them. Or better yet, reformat the disc after you get all your pics off the disc. It seems to work better, and well with the large number of pics I can get on a cd, I really don't worry about deleting until I see them on something besides the lcd on the back of the camera.
You'll get the camera you get, all of us here a fond of the cams we have and all have differant reasons to get said cams.