Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:41 PM   #1

Is there another external flash that works well with the Sony R-1, other than the Sony HVL-132? There are no tilt and bounce options with the Sony Flash.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:37 AM   #2

I just bought a Sony HVL-F32X on eBay ... haven't tested it yet, though. It does have bounce and tilt capability. (I hope!)

Product Description
Sony HVL-F32X High Grade Flash - Get outstanding flash coverage of up to 48 feet with this Deluxe Sony High Grade Flash. Offers innovative built-in model light mode, manual lighting control for increased creativity and a bounce and tilt head with built-in diffuser for easy use. Advanced automatic TTL Pre-Flash exposure control is offered through the dedicated hot shoe connector. Pre-flash adjustment - detects appropriate exposure before firing flash Allows detection when conversion lens attached AF assist lamp allows AF photography even when subject is too dark Test flash - sets the focal length of light adjustment sensor by DSC data, then fires the test flash Red-eye reduction, bounce flash function, equipped with wide panel, modeling flashflash external for dscf828,717,707, cd500, v1
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:45 AM   #3

RiaRia wrote: Ido soagree with Ria Ria i alsohave aSony HVL32 X great flash on my R1 . I bought mine and there are plenty more on e bay uk at good prices new and used ,why get something else when the Sony does a great job, but this isonly in my opinion of course , others may differ ?.:shock:
Quote:
I just bought a Sony HVL-F32X on eBay ... haven't tested it yet, though. It does have bounce and tilt capability. (I hope!)

Product Description
Sony HVL-F32X High Grade Flash - Get outstanding flash coverage of up to 48 feet with this Deluxe Sony High Grade Flash. Offers innovative built-in model light mode, manual lighting control for increased creativity and a bounce and tilt head with built-in diffuser for easy use. Advanced automatic TTL Pre-Flash exposure control is offered through the dedicated hot shoe connector. Pre-flash adjustment - detects appropriate exposure before firing flash Allows detection when conversion lens attached AF assist lamp allows AF photography even when subject is too dark Test flash - sets the focal length of light adjustment sensor by DSC data, then fires the test flash Red-eye reduction, bounce flash function, equipped with wide panel, modeling flashflash external for dscf828,717,707, cd500, v1
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:11 AM   #4

I have this flash unit for almost 3 years now. Never had any trouble, however its a

battery hog. if you don't want a Sony flash I believe Metz may have one that may work for your camera:|
digital demon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:26 AM   #5

I know 3 flashes dedicated to work with R1

SONY F32x flash
METZ flashes 54 MZ-4 with adaptor
Gullmann brand

You can find more information on

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

and

http://www.adorama.com

Well, I'd like to add something:
Personally I own F32 x and found this flash adequate to a task.

Flash is inexpensive and does have tilt for a bounced light. I want to repeat myself DOES HAVE TILT

Flash does not have swivel that may be inconvenient when camera in portrait position and flash light has to be bounced from a wall, not a ceiling.

Flash works on 4 AA batteries and it is not the fastest one but it is good for money you paid.

From my experience the worst behavior of this flash it is often losing communication with camera due to soiled contacts. They have to be cleaned up.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6

Many thanks for the answers. I will check out the HVL F32X Flash. The Metz is a bit too high in price.

MT
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:12 PM   #7

Hi, MT: **I forgot to mention that there is a bracket that is available for the*HVL-F32X;* hopefully*that will help with the lack of swivel.* *Since *I use rechargeables;* the battery draw isn't that much of an issue, either. * *Please let us know what you decide and how it works out with the R-1.* Good luck!* Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:06 PM   #8

Thanks Ria-

Iwill have some results for all to see shortly. I am thinking about using a slave flash which I already have on hand, and that is quite small but powerful (Bower SFDS). If that is not satisfactory, then off to the HVL-F-32X, I go.

MT
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:09 AM   #9

Can a Slave Flash mounted on the R-1 hot shoe harm the camera?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:22 AM   #10

If you use hot shoe mounted flash as a slave and trigger it by built-in camera flash, you will not damage camera shoe
If you use hot shoe mounted flash as external and trigger it via hot shoe, there is a very slim chance you can damage camera shoe
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote