Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1

What is everyone's opinion here? From what I've read, the H5 performs better under low light circumstances. The FZ50 has a 10+mp sensor, as opposed to a 7.1mp one for Sony. The FZ50 also appears to be the winner in terms of speed, etc. Any thoughts as to which is the better camera, producing better quality images?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:44 AM   #2

Hy, Johnny
H5 and FZ50 are so different...

FZ50 is higher level camera. It is bigger, heftier has many advanced features like manual zoom ring, manual focus and (most important for me) hot shoe
FZ50 I would compare with FUJI S9100 camera or SAMSUNG 815 PRO

H5 is smaller, lacks of some important features I've mentioned above and can be compared with a cameras like CANON S3 and some long zoom KODAK P cameras.

I'd advise you to look at mega pixels is least important feature while compare cameras.
For me most important are lens and hot shoe.

If I need to select between H5 and FZ50 ,my choice is FZ50
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3

Yes, but, the H5 performs infinately better in low light, don't you think? That fact probably counteracts those other ones, as ultimately, image quality should be the most important factor?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:24 PM   #4

John, perhaps you know something that I do not.
I mean taking photos in low light suggests flash to be involved.
Since H5 does not have hot shoe be ready for photos to be taken with built-in flash (even so you can deploy secondary slave flash). I do not know the worst photos than those are taken with built-in flash - even so they are less noisy with H5.

I'd like to learn how you are going to take low light photos and rein on a built-in flash at the same time.

BR
Simon G
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, high iso (low light) peformance refers to pictures taken WITHOUT the use of flash. And, it's not even debatable, according to EVERY SINGLE REVIEW I've read, that the H5 is an infinately better low light performer than the FZ50 or FZ30. Again, I don't even think that this is debatable, at least from what I've read.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:58 PM   #6

JohnnyNewbie wrote:
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, high iso (low light) peformance refers to pictures taken WITHOUT the use of flash.* And, it's not even debatable, according to EVERY SINGLE REVIEW I've read, that the H5 is an infinately better low light performer than the FZ50 or FZ30.* Again, I don't even think that this is debatable, at least from what I've read.
I have no words, you are right!!!
Good luck to you from R1/H1 owner
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:01 PM   #7

Are you being sarcastic? I would really like the answer to this debate, as I'm trying to learn and absorb as much as I can. From what I've read, ISO's above, say 200 are basically unusable on the Panny, and on the Sony, ISO's up to 400 and even 800 (depending), are usable most of the time
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

JohnnyNewbie wrote:
Quote:
Are you being sarcastic?* I would really like the answer to this debate, as I'm trying to learn and absorb as much as I can.* From what I've read, ISO's above, say 200 are basically unusable on the Panny, and on the Sony, ISO's up to 400 and even 800 (depending), are usable most of the time
I'm not sarcastic at all.
I just do not like the word 'infinately'
Secondly, there is a lot of hype behind definition of 'low light performance'.
Thirdly, for me camera without hot shoe is out of considiration.
Forth and the last point is

http://www.neocamera.com/guide_camera_models_large.html

Good luck

P.S Folks around suggest the best in low light performance is FUJI brand
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:09 PM   #9

Yes, I agree, however, Fuji doesn't have image stabilization, so, for me, Sony is a nice compromise. Fuji wasn't even part of the topic, so, I'm not sure the point, but, again, the consensus is (and I've not seen a single review to dispute this), that the Sony is a FAR (since you don't like the word "infinately") better performer than the Panasonic in low light.

I appreciate the fact that the use of a hot shoe is important to you but, that wasn't what we were discussing...remember...we were discussing low light performance and, the fact is, it's not even close.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:13 PM   #10

By the way, if you wish to bring cameras into this that aren't really related to the initial topic, then the Sony R1 blows EVERY OTHER CAMERA out of the water...period...including the Panny, and the Fuji's