Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1

Hi All,

I'd like to share the view we had from our ship the Spirit once we docked in port:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gall...69088/Original

R-1.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:09 AM   #2

Hi Nicholas

What a lovely view!

As I mentioned previously, I am still new to viewing panoramas with the scroll bar so am still being blown away by the experience. And something about the panorama format and your composition led me to be peering into the distance a lot more than if I had been looking at a standard 'picture' ratio.
Fantastic place withfantastic lighting

Two further things I noticed

Firstly, the parnorame was going well beyond a maximumnormal scan ... very exciting. It did not occur to me that this could go as far as 360 degrees. I had the sense of sitting on the railing looking at the nearby table ten slowlyrotating until I was again looking back onto the ship. Very intresting indeed.

Secondly, Nicholas, please shareyour thoughts on exposure. I saw some lines on the sea and wondered what theywere and suddenly realised that you had been shooting INTO the sun. Indeed, the sun was only just hidden above the top of the frame. However there was no massive glare-out and the sky retained consistant colouration through all angles

Best wishes

Glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:32 AM   #3

Hi Glyn,

*** ALL PLEASE NOTE *****:

WITH AN OPTICAL VIEWFINDER, DSLR, DO NOT POINT YOUR CAMERA TOWARD THE SUN FOR ANY REASON.

THE EVF OF MY R-1 ENABLED ME TO CAPTURE THIS IMAGE WITHOUT EXPOSING MY EYES TO DANGEROUS SUNLIGHT FOCUSED IN AN OPTICAL VIEW FINDER.

This was an 180 degree pano. The ship is so big that it shows both on my left side and my right side. My R-1 was sitting on the same railing you see at the bottom of the image.

I used aperture priority at f13. My R-1 set shutter speeds, from left to right for the multiple overlapping images, from 1/200 sec up to 1/640 andup to 1/1250 for the sun shots.

The program Autostich blends exposures very well.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Hello, Nicholas:

It's good to get home from a long stressful day (and in this case, long night and day) at work and be treated with one of your relaxing panoramas ... reminded me of another type. I thought Glyn or anyone else new to viewing this type of photo might like to know about another variety, called 360 degree (or Virtual Reality) panoramas. One of my favorite sites is http://www.panoramas.dk - (I could spend days on this site!) They take a while to load, especially if you are on dial up, but it's worth it.

HINT: Don't forget to look up and down, as well as scroll right and left.

Here's one of my favorites; but there are tons more.

http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen5/f38-matterhorn.html

This is what I want to do when I grow up! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:45 PM   #5

Had another look at your panorama, Nicholas... yes it actually does make a difference to my day. For a few minutes Iam somewhere else and the feeling endures.

Ria, that's a mountain I'd like to climb. I saw a film about the first ascent when I was a child and it really did make a lasting impression. Thanks for introducing me to 360 degree full panoramas.

All the best

Glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote