Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:16 AM   #11

You say you are not interested in the R1 because of 'it's weight and need to be held by two hands'. If that is the case, then you should forget about looking at any dSLR as they are the same size as the R1 or larger and heavier.

Actually, the R1 is not that heavy at all (I own one). As for needing to hold it with two hands, yes, that is true, but it is also true of ALL cameras if you want to get a sharp image, unless you use a tripod, which I am guessing you do not. For making big enlargements, sharpness is one of the prime criteria.

The larger sensor of the R1 and all other dSLR's is one of their greatest strengths. The larger (than p&s) sensor provides less noise and greater dynamic range.

I think you should not dwell on the manufacturer of the equipment, but on choosing the best equipment for the job at hand. Yes, zeiss make good lenses, but they can also make no so good ones too. Leitz also make great lenses (panasonic), as do nikon, canon, pentax and many others.

If you really want a 12MP camera, then as Jim suggested, stay away from the small p&s cameras and buy into a dSLR line.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:53 AM   #12

thanks Amazing! I was concerned about the Zeiss lens because I've been using them all along and I'm very happy with them. I now have an H2 and love it-there is nothing I can complain about! If only it had 10 mps!

I think I've decided on the R1-the clarity of image is the most important thing to me. My H2 is only one lb. so I'll have to get used to a camera more than twice as heavy. I've done enough reading up on the R1 to be convinced!
janeywaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:32 PM   #13

The R1 is an amazing camera. I have had mine for a year now and love it. To get the most out of the camera, you should shoot raw. The sony supplied software sucks (to put it politely). I would suggest looking at either RawShooter or Silkypix.

Shooting raw will be most important if you want to make big enlargements.

Enjoy your camera.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:53 PM   #14

The R-1 is the best camera that I have ever owned.

May not be the case for others but is for me.

JimC,

Have you heard anything about an R-2 replacing the R-1?

The only 'tid-bit' I have heard was a B&H salesman's responseto my question

if the R-1 will be updated, he replied 'There has been no statement by Sony.'

I asked his opinion if the R-1 will be updated, he replied 'He thinksit will'

Tis was about 3 weeks ago.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 5:47 PM   #15
Administrator

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
JimC,

Have you heard anything about an R-2 replacing the R-1?
I could be wrong. But, I doubt we'll see a replacement for it.

For one thing, no other manufacturers "jumped on the bandwagon" and introduced models with this same sensor (as is normally the case when Sony introduces a new sensor).

So, Sony wasn't able to supplement it's R&D and manufacturing costs with sensor sales to other camera manufacturers, making it less appealing for them to repeat this kind of model.

DSLR prices have dropped a lot lately with DSLR sales being the fastest growing market segment. So, that appears to be where the action is (and manufacturers would have more revenue from lens sales from a DSLR).

IOW, the "Prosumer" market as we know it seems to be ending, with more users making the jump from a limited feature set camera directly to a DSLR. You no longer have the price difference between a Prosumer and DSLR model to warrant keeping both types in the lineup.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:06 PM   #16

Thanks JimC for your response.

Upgrading the R-1does appear unlikely, for your reasons given. Especially with the $600 D40 just announced.

I still believe that the wedding photography business can be capturedwith a camera along the line of the R-1,if technolgy permits it.

I understand that the R-1 as it is now, is about the best compromise that can be made between reading a live image off a sensor and the heat caused by such an action.

Too bad the Alpha A100 is too mechanically noisyfor my purposes.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:23 PM   #17
Administrator

I see complaints from time to time about mirror slap/shutter noise in forums (especially from new KM DSLR owners, and the Sony shutter sound is about the same).

To my ears, it's not bad at all. If anything, it's a bit "tinny" sounding to me (it needs to be more "authoritative" with it's slap). :-)

I've got one older Nikon film body that's much louder, and I kind of like it's sound. lol I guess the KM/Sony DSLR models are a bit louder than some though. I think some Minolta film bodies I have are a bit quieter. Maybe we should suggest that Steve use a decible meter to see how models compare in this area (only kidding). lol It's really not something I pay much attention to, as long as it's loud enough for me to hear it fine.

If you're shooting in a church or somewhere that it could be distracting, it may be nice to have a quieter camera. But, I wouldn't want one that's too quiet. I tend to listen to a camera while taking a photo, and that helps me to know when I can release the shutter button (helping to make sure I'm not going to contribute to camera shake while the shutter is open in less than optimum lighting).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:18 PM   #18

nickphoto123 wrote:
[quote]Thanks JimC for your response.

Upgrading the R-1¬*does appear unlikely, for your reasons given. Especially with the $600 D40 just announced.

I still believe that the wedding photography business can be captured¬*with a camera along the line of the R-1,¬*if technolgy permits it.

I understand that the R-1 as it is now, is about the best compromise that can be made between reading a live image off a sensor and the heat caused by such an action.¬*

Too bad the Alpha A100 is too mechanically noisy¬*for my purposes.

Regards,¬* Nicholas

Here is Simon's part

Nicholas
I have no doubt R1 is the best and the last one of big P&S cameras. Great lens and great sensor make it unique. All companies that have successful SLR production, concentrate there affords on SLR's and abandon PRO P&S cameras (Canon, Nikon,Oly, and now SONY with acquisition of KM)
I have no doubt camera is capable to take weddings, When I want fast action from camera, I set focus in manual mode and squeeze almost simultaneously focus button on the left and shutter. The focus is always OK.
Secondly, I want to express all my gratitude to a Jim who is very friendly, supportive and caring moderator.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote