Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

I've been using Sonys for years, with the Zeiss lens and have been very happy with my pictures. Now I want to upgrade to 10mp and I'd have to buy separate bodies and lenses to get the Zeiss, bringing the cost to over $2000. Is the Zeiss lens really so much better than the sony one? Also, a salesman from sny told me on the phone that they wouldn't be offering a 12mp camera in the near future. I'm not sure I believe that, since other brands (Nikon, Canon) already have them.
janeywaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:24 PM   #2

I really don't know too much about Sonys SLR lenses, but I can tell you that you really won't see much of a difference at all in resolutionbetween a 10MP and a 12MP camera.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:26 PM   #3

My concern is enlarging. I plan to enlarge the photos to poster size and above. Won't the 2 more mp's make any difference?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:30 PM   #4

Do you really want to ENLARGE your photos printing them in 4x6 size?
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:36 PM   #5

What I do is bring a disc with the file on it to the printer and request a size. My 6mp camera now only lets me enlarge to a little over 8x10 without losing quality. I want a larger poster.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:43 PM   #6

Please more specifics.
What size do you want?
What printer do you use?
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:57 PM   #7

ok, I'll be very specific- I'm having a show of my work. I'm blowing my pictures up to enormous sizes. I am not doing the printing, I go to a commercial printer. they are printed on regular matte paper (not photo paper). In other words, they are now posters. With my 6mp camera, I lose too much quality when the pictures are enlarged. I will do better with 10 or 12 mps.

so does anyone know the difference between the Zeiss lenses and the sony lenses?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:08 PM   #8
Administrator

You need to prepare the images properly for printing.

For example, if you're printing at 20x30 inches, you'd need a minimum of around 13.5 Megapixels (after cropping) to get up to 150 pixels per inch.

To get to 300 pixels per inch of detail, you'd need a 6000 x 9000 pixel image (54 Megapixels) for a 20x30 inch print. See this chart for details:

http://www.cordcamera.com/callme.asp...CUTDigiBorders

But, larger prints are usually not viewed from closer distances. So, you can get away with far less, provided you prepare the images properly.

By prepare, you need to interpolate them (which adds pixels that were not captured by the camera, based on the values of adjacent pixels).

We have an entire forum dedicated to this process here:

Resizing and Interpolation Forum

Some photos enlarge better than others. For example, a Portrait tends to enlarge quite well. But, a landscape with lots of foilage may not do as well.

Lin Evans has a great post on this topic HERE

One camera that would give you 10 Megapixels right now is the Sony DSC-R1. You can read more about it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/r1.html

It's getting a bit hard to find. But, some vendors still have them in stock.

Sony has one Zeiss Zoom lens on the way (due in Spring 2007) for the new Sony DSLR-A100 (basically, an upgraded Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D) that would be worth keeping an eye on (and it would also work on KM DSLR models), giving you the same angle of view you'd have with the lens on the DSC-R1 (same angle of view you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera).

Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5

They also have some Zeiss branded primes on the way (for example, an 85mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/1.8 ). They'll list for $1,299.95 and $1,399.95 respectfully. We'll need to wait for reviews to see how good they are.

I'd suggest taking any camera/lens combination on a case by case basis, and ignore the brand labels.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:43 PM   #9

Thanks so much, Jim for all that info.

First of all, I know about the new Zeiss lens. It's about $1300 at sony. I decided not to get an SLR. I did a lot of reading on the R1, and there are things I don't like about it, such as its weight and need to be held by two hands to shoot. However, I'm getting the impression that it's great on photographic quality, which is my primary concern.

As for the enlargements-believe it or not, I've had some posters made in sizes 20x24 and 30x24 which are pretty clear, with my H2. Those are photos which have hardly been modified, which I"m sure makes sense to you. the more I enhance, the smaller I can enlarge. However, some of my prints are supposed to have an abstract, popart look, and it's working out. I believe that once I get a 10mp camera, I'll be happy. I'd love for Sony to come out with a 12mp-do you think they will? soon?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:52 PM   #10
Administrator

The printer you use can have a big impact on quality. Most have their own RIP to interpolate the images. I'd still suggest preparing them in advance (I'd interpolate them to around 240 pixels per inch before handing them off to a printer).

I have no iinfo on Sony's plans. But, I'd suspect that they'll introduce 2 or 3 more DSLR models next year, and chances are, one or more of them will be 12 Megapixels or higher resolution. They want to grab a large portion of the DSLR market and they'll need competitive cameras to do it.

I'd probably avoid 12 Megapixel non-DSLR models (the photosites will be so small that I'd expect terrible images from a 12MP sensor the size of a fingernail). ;-) Sharp recently announced a 12MP sensor for non-DSLR cameras. But, I wouldn't buy a camera using a 12MP sensor that small.

Keep an eye on our Breaking News page in February. The next big trade show will be PMA in March 2007, and manufacturers tend to start launching new models leading into it (you'll probably see a lot of new cameras announced during the February/March timeframe).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote