Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:24 PM   #1

Well, Noble Lords and Ladies, every year I make the same dumb mistake, it seems, of taking a new camera to the Renaissance Faire before I have mastered it! I had lots of really wonderful images - at least, they looked that way in the viewfinder. I took over 500 photos before I realized that I had hit the exposure compensation (+.7) by mistake, which for small hands like mine is very easy to do. I wish there was some kind of lock for the wheel so that this wouldn't happen. So far, this has been the only complaint I have had with the camera.

BTW, the earlier poster who was asking questions about the Zeiss lens was concerned about the weight of the R-1. I am a female, too, and that was a big concern of mine before I got the camera. But it has been a complete non-issue. I carried it for nine hours, took over 850 frames, and had absolutely no problems with the weight. (And I have severe carpal tunnel, too!)

Am posting these after only a quick levels, (hope I'm getting better, Nicholas!) slight curves and sharpening, lowered resolution and cropping. Hope the lower resolution will still show the image quality. Cheers! Ria
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Hi Ria

I've had a look at this and the other two you've posted.
Beautiful pictures ... you sure know how to set up your subjects ... that renaissance boy picture looked like a very realistic pre-raphaelite painting. Very powerful.
Viking girl looked almost translucent skinned. I think your adjustments on the second pic gave modelling for the bone structure .. but lost the translucence a bit. NB .... this is a matter of subtle degrees. I think they both look good. I was amazed at how sharp those eyes are .... some rare qualities of moisture in the eyes.
The picture on this thread has also got a liveliness to it.
Allthree subjectsare obviously posing for a picture but are freely themselves within it. I notice the people enjoying being photographed by you.

I think you take lovely portraits. That picture of the old lady with the tiny Kitty was heartwrenching.

Jane, the one intrested in the Zeiss lenses .... latest I have heardis that she IS going for the R1 .... I am member of DPReview website and she has been inquiring there too.

Please will you say a bit more about what you have been doing with resolution .... I have only been adjusting image size and filesize in the jpeg save options so I'd love to know a bit more what you are doing with that.

All the best

Glyn

Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:38 AM   #3

Hi, Glyn:

To answer your question, depending on the file I either use the "Save for Web" function, or change the resolution in the Image Size box (usually lower down to 72 for the web.)

On some of the pics I was trying to show fine skin detail so I didn't lower the res. quite as much.

Hope this helps! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:19 AM   #4

Ah!
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"That's making sense. Thanks
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote