Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:12 PM   #1

Hi ...

The RM-DR1 ....the one WITHOUT the clip, is discontinued. This I checked with Sony Style Europe and ordered the RM-VD1 that day.

thread on DPreview whichsources an adaptor to go between the LANC jack [specific to R1, other cybershots and some vid cameras] and the more trad remote release units: Here is the link that was provided.

http://www.jg-ic.com/jgrs1.html

Anyway, I have recieved the remote lead RM VD1.

I'll share some first impressions:
It is easy to fit on the R1 and can switch the camera power on and off in a solid way which will not be triggered accidentally.

Its LED lights are powered by the R1.

The 'photo' button has a more firm distincton between half-press for focus and full press for shutter release than the R1 itself. I would be able to wait holding the Remote button on focus lock for ages comfortable whilst waiting for correct moment to release.

The clip has a powerful grip and I could fit it on a 2cm diameter tube without it slipping off.

The cable is 1.5 meters long [5 feet] and tough yet flexible with good strengthening at entry points to jack pluch and releast unit itself.

I actually wanted to have longer lead ... so I soldered up a simple 2.5mm jack extender with parts and dual core lead from my local electronics shop. I am pleased to say that it did work and I can now work from 4.5 meters. A member of DP review who had also done that is stable at 15 meters.

Best wishes

Glyn Powell

Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:29 AM   #2

Hi Glyn,

I used mine today. I spliced in a telephone cable and it is almost 75' long ( I believe about 25 meters?? ). I have it wrapped around my monopod.

In fact I used it today so I couldhold my off camera flash away from my R-1 and shoot the picture.

I find this easier sometimes than having my off camera flash on its own stand. The remote lets you shoot this way.My remote has the clip, it is actually made for the Sony video cams I think, but it works.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:19 PM   #3

Hi Nicholas ....

Brilliant . I never thought of that ....

If I want to use off camera flash, I am using my Canon EZ430 flash .... with lead from hotshoe to flash ... operating on full manual. i have yet to use that combo with the R1 .... so far been using it with my Ricoh GX8.

Camera on Tripod. Walking around holding the flash .. that makes a lot of sense.

How are you connecting your off camera flash to the R1 ..... given that I have not yet tried my EZ430, I am slightly cautious about possiblity of mismatched trigger vltages .... something which has nto caused a problem with my Ricoh .... but having taken a chance there, I consider myelf lucky. I would nto want to take a risk with the R1!

All the best

Glyn
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:59 PM   #4

Hi Glyn,

I use pocket wizards. A transmitter on my R-1 and the receiver with my Canon 550EX in my hand or on my stand.

Sometimes I will put my bracket on my R1 and have my second 550EX controlled by the transmitter and the hand held/pole 550ex with the pocket wizard receiver.

I found the Infra-red signals between the 550EX when on my Canon D60 never worked in sunlight. They were unreliable. So I took the plunge and bought 2 Pocket Wizards, no regrets.

I use my Canon 550EX on manulal flash. With digital it is easy.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:43 AM   #5

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for that ... I was wondering how the flash connectivity works.

Iwill look into pocket wizards. The idea of being able t walk freely with the flash whilst using remote on an already set-up camera is a choice I will be keen to have.

Ragards

Glyn