Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:03 PM   #11

Greg and Nick-

I was afraid of the lack of inventory, so I ordered mine on the 1st of November, while I was on the way to do a workshop and had it delivered to a friend's house.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:08 PM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Greg and Nick-

I was afraid of the lack of inventory, so I ordered mine on the 1st of November, while I was on the way to do a workshop and had it delivered to a friend's house.

MT/Sarah
Where did you get yours Sarah? How much if you don't mind me askiing? I checked this morning and I see the last opened box R1 at J&R is gone. I wonder if Nicholas went for it or not. I expect mine to arrive by the end of next week.

God Bless - Greg
wyomingwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:07 PM   #13

No. it wasn't me lucky enough to get it.

Been searching but not satisfied with sellers and not sure what I found has USA warranty.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:08 PM   #14
Administrator

A few concerns if those photos are typical:

* For a number of those photos, you were zoomed in all the way to 48.5mm with your Sony (which is equivalent to 190mm on a 35mm camera). The DSC-R1 won't be able to zoom in that much (it's maximum zoom is equivalent to 120mm on a 35mm camera). So, you'll have a wider angle of view at it's maximum zoom, requiring you to crop or use digital for equivalent framing compared to your DSC-F717.

* The lens on your existing Sony is much brighter (anywhere from twice to 4 times as bright, depending on how much you zoom in). The lens on the DSC-R1 will have a maximum available aperture of f/4.8 on it's long end (maximum zoom). In contrast, the DSC-F717 has a maximum available aperture of f/2.4 on it's long end. Lower numbers are better.

To put that in perspective, the lens on the DSC-F717 is approximately 4 times as bright when you're zoomed in much compared to the lens on the DSC-R1 (f/2.4 is 4 times as bright as f/4.8 ).

That means you can get shutter speeds 4 times as fast for any given lighting condition and ISO speed using your DSC-F717 compared to the DSC-R1 if you're zooming in to it's long end. Now, the DSC-R1 does have higher available ISO speeds. But, you'd need to shoot at ISO 1600 with the DSC-R1 to get shutter speeds as fast as you could shooting at ISO 400 with the DSC-F717 at the DSC-R1's maximum zoom (which is only equivalent to 120mm)..

So, I'd make sure to use the camera in the conditions you plan on using it more often to see if it's performance is acceptable or not.

One other thing to take into consideration...

I noticed that most of your photos were using Auto ISO, with the speed varying quite a bit (ISO 200, 250, 320). You may find that you'd get faster shutter speeds by leaving it set to ISO 400 in low light. That will mean higher noise levels (grain). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting and aperture.

ISO 400 wouldn't have been a huge difference. But, every little bit helps. You were getting shutter speeds of around 1/30 second at ISO 320. ISO 400 would have probably got them up to around 1/40 second.

Your DSC-F717 has an ISO 800 setting that you can use, too (but, I'd probably save it for emergencies). That would have got your shutter speeds up to around 1/80 (more than twice as fast as you were getting in most photos in that series).

If you need to use higher ISO speeds, here are some good products to help reduce it's appearance.

The stand alone demo of Neat Image doesn't expire and is free for home use. Ditto for the "Community Edition" of Noiseware.

Neat Image

Noiseware

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:46 PM   #15

Thank you Jim for a great explanation of the difference between the 717 and the R1. You can probably tell by looking at my pictures that I am quite the amatuer but I am trying to learn as much as my mind will allow. I will keep this post for reference as I learn the ins and outs of the R1.I appreciate the links to the software suggestions. Thanks again Jim.

God Bless - Greg
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:59 PM   #16
Administrator

In light that low zooming in, you'll probably need to use ISO 800 or 1600 with the DSC-R1 to get shutter speeds as fast as you were getting with your DSC-F717. Auto ISO probably won't go that high, so you'll need to set it that way if your shutter speeds drop too slow.

If you find the noise/grain to be higher than desired at the viewing/print sizes needed, try those noise reduction tools (they can work wonders).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:05 AM   #17

Greg-

I purchased mine from Abe's of Maine and it was $653.00.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:03 AM   #18

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Now the BIG question..Where did you find an R-1 for sale.

I decided to by a second new one for back-up. Can't find a new one.

Nicholas

FYI - if you are in the Atlanta or Miami area, some "Brandsmart USA" stores may still have some R1 models. Brandsmart does not sell via their web site, and they refuse to quote prices over the phone (and don't take phone orders). Think "New York City store" attitude, but they do have off-the-wall and hard to find items - it's just you have to physically go into the store to get the stuff.

I had not at all planned on getting a R1, though I had always thought they were interesting, but I do odd things this time of year during the holidays.. my local Brandsmart had ONE R1 left new in box for around $670 (not cheap, not too bad I suppose), and before I knew it, the credit card was whipped out and poof, here I am tonight looking at the thing. A relative wanted one so it's about to get shipped out to them and I'm sure they'll be happy with it. I've taken it out to do some test shots.

Gotta admit, indoors shots have not impressed me. Outdoor shots were a bit better and noise control is good, but there's not a lot of "bite" out of camera even with tweaks in the menu. Shots in sunny conditions to me, didn't seem THAT much better than an 828 I have here. In higher iso shots of course they're better.

So if you or anyone you know lives in Miami or Atlanta, check that chain out for remaining stock.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:35 AM   #19

Hello Greg,

I haven't seen you for few years. Do you remember me from the old Mavica site? Hope you are doing well. Will probably run into you here from time to time.

Greg Wise