Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1

I just recently discovered this wonderful site and am hoping to get acouple of quick answers to confirm my decision to buy the Sony R1. I have been using a F717 for the last 3 1/2 years and it has been failing me for the last 6 months. It is time to replace it. Although I wouldn't mind the ability to shoot a MPEG here or there or have a longer zoom, the R1 seems like such a good direction to move. Here are my questions.

1. Can I use my Sony HVL-F1000 flash with this camera?

2. I have been fairly happy with the action shots with my F717 - will I be happier with the R1 for taking action shots?

3. Are the macro capabilities about the same as the F717?

Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

Greg

wyomingwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Hi, Greg:

First off, I really love your avatar! What a sweetheart. She could almost be one of my relatives - LOL.

Secondly, welcome to the forum!

As for your questions about the R-1, I don't have all the answers because I've never used your model so I can't compare the two. How it compares to your F17 - it might be better, or worse. I'm not sure. But if you scroll back a few days in this forum, you'll see other posts and pictures specifically addressing the action capabilities. The R-1 is a GREAT portrait camera. It is also wonderful for landscapes. There is absolutely no doubt about either of those facts. However, it was not designed for action or macros. I would call it "decent" in those areas, but not superior. My best advice would be to try out the camera before you commit to it; alot of stores have a 30 day return policy. Amazon is one.

Hope this helps - please remember I have only had the R1 for a relatively short while, so others with more experience may have a different outlook altogether. Cheers! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:20 AM   #3

Thanks Ria for your comments about the camera and about my avatar which is my beautiful granddaughter - Nevaeh. I have been taking lots of pictures of her over the last two years. I understand what you are saying about the action capabilities of the R1. I think the F717 really was not designed for action either especially indoor action. Thank goodness for post editing. Check out this album for post editing of indoor action with no flash - http://www.fototime.com/inv/2A72B078F0341FA. Anyway I will see what others have to say also. This is such a nice site and hopefully I will be able to learn from the regulars here and enjoy your photos also. God Bless - Greg
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:35 AM   #4

Your granddaughter is indeed beautiful. But you don't need me to tell you that!

Do you mind if I ask the derivation of her name? It seems to suit her very well. Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:43 AM   #5

wyomingwiseman wrote:
Quote:
1.* Can I use my Sony HVL-F1000 flash with this camera?
I believe that the flash will work with the R1.

Quote:
2.* I have been fairly happy with the action shots with my F717 - will I be happier with the R1 for taking action shots?
Happier, I don't know, but the R1 most likely will not be worse than the 717. The R1 is very good when the light is good, but it can get quite slow in poor light.

Quote:
3.* Are the macro capabilities about the same as the F717?
Personally I do very little macro work, so this is not something I have tried with my R1. But as the camera does have a close focus setting, it is capable of macro work. Perhaps others who have used it can chime in.

The R1 is a bit bigger than the 717.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:11 AM   #6

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
wyomingwiseman wrote:
Quote:
1. Can I use my Sony HVL-F1000 flash with this camera?
I believe that the flash will work with the R1.

Quote:
2. I have been fairly happy with the action shots with my F717 - will I be happier with the R1 for taking action shots?
Happier, I don't know, but the R1 most likely will not be worse than the 717. The R1 is very good when the light is good, but it can get quite slow in poor light.

Quote:
3. Are the macro capabilities about the same as the F717?
Personally I do very little macro work, so this is not something I have tried with my R1. But as the camera does have a close focus setting, it is capable of macro work. Perhaps others who have used it can chime in.

The R1 is a bit bigger than the 717.
Question #1-Most folks are using the HVL-32 flash with the R-1

Question #2-Action photos are fairly easy with the R-1, but you will not get DSLR performance.

Question #3-Yes, the R-1 will do Macro shots, but the minimum distance will be greater than most digicams.

Congratulations on the nice photo of your grand daughter.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7

RiaRia wrote:
Quote:
Your granddaughter is indeed beautiful. But you don't need me to tell you that!

Do you mind if I ask the derivation of her name? It seems to suit her very well. Ria
Thank you Ria - we think she is gorgeous too - of course.:-) Nevaeh is heaven spelled backwards. My daughter decided on the name over 3 years ago before she was born on St. Patrick's day in 2004. She had heard about the name years earlier. In 2004 it was a fairly rare name but it is now exploding and becoming more popular quickly. Here is a link to see more of her. I have several albums with her name in the title - even one of her birth day. She was beautiful even then. http://www.fototime.com/inv/443AA37B9A09BF2

Thank you Sarah and amazingthailand for your input also. I can tell I will learn a lot from this group. Thanks for your welcome and info. Now it is time to take the plunge and get my new camera. And oh by the way Nicholas- your pictures posted here have gone a long way to show me the capabilities of the R1. Others too so thanks all.

God Bless - Greg
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:13 AM   #8

Hi

Welcome from me too.

Indoor low light action - slow if depending on the autofocus. Great focussing ring makes it very easy to learn to do manual focussing ... no difference in skills needed than if you were using an old-style manual focus lens.

I have owned the R1 for about a month and am impressed by how very under-exposed pics retain enough 'information' for it to be brought out in Post Processing .... Look at my ballroom dance pics thread .... my work on it is very UN subtle and naive but for the purposes of this thread, it may be useful to know that everything was nearly black and murky. I was very surprised what I was able to 'recover' when first working with very underexposd R1 shots.

All the best

Glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:51 PM   #9

Hello Greg and All,

Welcome from me as well.

Glad you were able to make a reasoned decision based on the threads in this Sony Forum at Steve's Digicams. Glad you liked the ballet pics.

I concur with MT's response.

I had the F-828 ( still do ) before my R-1. Nothing can beat the F-828 for macros IMHO. The R-1 requires a bit of distance but crops of macros work very well.

Now the BIG question..Where did you find an R-1 for sale.

I decided to by a second new one for back-up. Can't find a new one.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:18 PM   #10

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Now the BIG question..Where did you find an R-1 for sale.

I decided to by a second new one for back-up. Can't find a new one.

Nicholas

Thanks for the welcome Nicholas. Yesterday I called JR.com and talked to them about the R1 and they had 3 open box models for sale at 599.99. They explained that they are returned cameras with no reported problems. Buyer remorse cases I guess. They are fully checked out and sold as new with full warranty. They are not guarenteed not to have a scratch or two on the body. I have a full 30 days to try it out and return it for a full refund - no questions asked. They had 3 yesterday and two today when I called. After my order they were down to one. Here is the link. If you are interested I would call as soon as possible or just order it online. Hopefully it will be there if you are interested. They only problem I am worried about is if it would have any marks on the lens. I bought a good UV filter to put on it immediately. I will let you know how it comes out. I also bought a 3 year warranty for 69.99. Here is the link : http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4080890

JR has a good reputation although this is my first purchase with them. Good luck.

Greg