Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:02 PM   #1

I recently bought a Sony DSC H2 and can't seem to get more than about 30 shots from a set of batteries (rechargeable 2500mAh). And that was not hardly even using the LCD! I do use the zoom quite a bit. Anyone else have similar problems? I've tried a couple different sets of batteries with no better luck. I'm very frustrated. I thought I'd be able to get 200-300 shots!
kbutler1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:51 PM   #2

The battery indicator on the H2 and H5 are very very inaccurate.

If you are replacing the batteries when the warning comes up then don't , try to continue, in some cases the warning pops up after a few dozens shots and you can still take a couple of hundred pics !

Also make sure your batteries are cycled (conditioned) a few times, ie nimh batteries do not reach full capacity until they have been charged, drained and charged again a few times.

And use a decent charger, the Sony supplied one is very very basic, a good Maha, smart charger that can cycle the batteries for you etc is recommended.

I use the H1 which has a bigger more draining screen and when I first got it my batteries lasted only 50 or so shots, now on a conditioned pair of 2500 batteries I can take over 300 shots, with lcd on full time, lots of zooming and some flash shots.

And that still left me with about 1/3 charge..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

Thanks so much! I'll try exactly as you suggest. And yes, maybe I'll get a better charger. I love the features of the new camera and have already gotten some really nice shots, but the quick battery drain was discouraging.
kbutler1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4

Also flash is a batteries drainer.
Keep it in mind. I can't take more than 40 shots when flash is ON
H1 user
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:17 PM   #5

If you are only getting 40 flash shots then buy anew set of batteries..

2600NiMH, just took 91 flash shots (flash on "+", lcd on, lowest ISO), from my front door, through the hallway , to the back of the kitchen, roughly 14m.

No lights on in house and its past 4am here, so totally dark.

Those batteries started on half charge and are down to a third, so with good batteries you should be getting easily 200+ shots, especially since hardly anyone uses the H1 flash on "+" setting since its way too powerful !

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote