Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1

I am looking to purchase a Sony H5 camera, however, I noticed that there are two different models (H5 and H5/B). I visited Sony's website and posted the address below where it compares both models. The differences appear to be in these areas: White Balance, Still Image Mode(s), Focal Distance, Shutter Speed, and Flash Effective Range.

Can someone take a look at these differences and explain what they mean in laymans terms and also which model they prefer and would buy? Thanks!

After going to this web address click on the compare button.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...SS%26Rnd%3d555

srq5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2

For the very best of my knowledge, the difference between these e cameras is a finish. H5B has a black finish while H5 is silver
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:48 PM   #3

Yep, thats correct.

B is black, one excellent reason to get it over the H2 !
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I sort of figured that the "B" stands for the color of the camera itself. The things I was more interested in were these that I got from Sony's comparison of the two models:

White Balance: H5 and H5/B both have Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Flourescent, Incandescent, and Flash. However, the H5 also has Manual where the H5/B does not.

Still Image Modes: H5 and H5/B both have Burst, Multi-Burst, JPEG (Fine/Standard). However, the H5 has Exposure Bracketing where the H5/B does not.

Focal Distance: H5 lists 13/16" (2cm) while H5/B lists 4 3/4 (12cm).

Shutter Speed: Both are identical but H5 also has 8" - 1/2000 Aperture Priority where the H5/B does not.

Flash Effective Range: H5: ISO Auto 1' to 26', 3" (0.3 - 9.0m). ISO 1000: 2' 9" to 52' (0.9 - 16m)

H5/B: ISO Auto 1' to 29', 3" (0.3 - 9.0m) (w). ISO 1000: 2' 11" to 52' (0.9 - 16m) (w).

If someone can comment on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Automatic, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, ManualmAutomatic, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, Manualatic, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, Manual
srq5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 4:41 PM   #5

srq5000 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I sort of figured that the "B" stands for the color of the camera itself. The things I was more interested in were these that I got from Sony's comparison of the two models:

White Balance: H5 and H5/B both have Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Flourescent, Incandescent, and Flash. However, the H5 also has Manual where the H5/B does not.

CAMERAS ARE IDENTICAL H5 /H5D BOTH HAVE MANUAL WB

Still Image Modes: H5 and H5/B both have Burst, Multi-Burst, JPEG (Fine/Standard). However, the H5 has Exposure Bracketing where the H5/B does not.

H5/H5B BOTH HAVE EBracketing

Focal Distance: H5 lists 13/16" (2cm) while H5/B lists 4 3/4 (12cm).

H5/H5B HAVE THE SAME CARL ZEISS LENS

Shutter Speed: Both are identical but H5 also has 8" - 1/2000 Aperture Priority where the H5/B does not.

H5/H5B HAS THE SAME SHUTTER

Flash Effective Range: H5: ISO Auto 1' to 26', 3" (0.3 - 9.0m). ISO 1000: 2' 9" to 52' (0.9 - 16m)

H5/B: ISO Auto 1' to 29', 3" (0.3 - 9.0m) (w). ISO 1000: 2' 11" to 52' (0.9 - 16m) (w).

If someone can comment on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Automatic, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, ManualmAutomatic, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, Manualatic, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Flash, Manual
Pardon me I'm lazy to compare step by step features that belong to the same camera

If you have time and desire, go to

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch5.asp

or

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/

and make your own search and build your own mind

s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6

FYI, I noticed the same differences when I was deciding between the silver and black models. I felt there was probably a data entry error on the website, and went ahead and ordered the B model.

Sure enough, the B model has all of the features listed for the silver model. So, no worries.

This thing does take nice photos for the price.

shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote