Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:28 AM   #1

Default Best of the best

Hello everyone,

I am on the verge of buying a digital camera and having a hard time choosing between the Pentax Optio 550 and the Sony DSC-V1.

These two cameras are neck and neck on features, price, size and negative/positive feedback and reviews. Its really just a matter of a small thing favouring either camera for me to decide, as they are both that equal to my requirements.

I would like to know which camera takes better indoor/outdoor pictures during the daytime and under good light? E.g. clarity, colours, focus, noise and red-eye.

Any feedback is welcome.
saintfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2003, 2:13 PM   #2

Default been having trouble getting feedback on the same question

I have been having trouble getting feedback on the same question.
The Sony has superior focus and night focusing; the Pentax is smaller and has more zoom. My friends were very impressed with my Pentax, alas, I have now returned it, and hope to pick up the Sony this weekend. It’s larger, and has some complaints for color correctness, but does have many more accessories, and has a superior movie mode. Although Movie mode should not be a primary driver, with the pentax it was a hit with my friends to see movie clips on my computer (my best friends bachelor party I hosted ya know). With the Sony, I suspect they would have been drooling!

Will let you know how the Sony does, going to South Beach over the 4th with it next week.
Patrickfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2003, 1:15 AM   #3

thanks Pat that would be great!

I too expect to have either camera by then, though i am favouring the V1 atm.

Both camera are fairly evenly speceified and its hard to tell which unique features would be better to have on each camera.

just a short listing from the top of my head.

550 pros: battery, zoom, SD/MMC media, cheaper media, smaller size, in-built flash, wireless remote, superior macros and slightly more manual controls.

V1 pros: infrared, night-framming, hotshoe, lens mount, 3 sec start up time, superior low light shots, movie mode and accessories thats all i can think of for now. wow it really is closer than i thought.

anyway thanks

ps the bettery life on the pentax is awesome.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 3:47 PM   #4

Saintfran,

I am leaving for Florida tomorrow, and plan to take a lot of pictures with my newly purchased V1. So far I can see the movie mode already blows away that of the Pentax (as I suspected it might) too soon to tell with pictures. The 640 x 480 movie mode is not supported for burning video disks with the included Pixela software. You have to downsize to 352 x 240 for std VCD. They do not support SVCD, or DVD. I think the Sony is little more complicated to use, but perhaps some time on the airplane with the manual will help with that. As for size, the Sony is bigger. In real terms, I could put the Pentax in my jeans front pocket, but the Sony will need the extra room of slacks. I bought an extra 256 meg pro stick for the sony. Looks like prices have come down a little, and I got it at Best Buy for $119.00 (and had a coupon good for 20% off making it much closer to the one I had bought for the Pentax). I’ll let you know how things turn out.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:37 PM   #5

Default I just got my sony yesturday.

First impressions are I am frilled with it. It really is a nice camera. It is very damn clear and the colours are great. The Zoom is nice and the start up time is better than I thought. It is really easy to use in auto mode and the camera has yet to take any bad shots on this setting.

How awesome is the nightshot and framing! Im glad i got it over the Pentax 550 purely for this as I am always at parties where I could be inside or outside a house with or without good light. My mate has a Pentax 430rs nice camera not as good as the 550 but we have missed out on some nice memories because the camera has trouble using the flash to light the subject, nightshot however does not.

The noise levels on nightshot seem a bit high but then again it beats not having a shot.

My only complain so far is the battery. I would much rather have the battery from the pentax for sure. Also the 32 MS supplied is a joke! All MS pro is over priced but is really fast. Im looking at getting 256 for a bit more than you are paying.

Anyway thats it for now good bye.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:46 PM   #6

Default two trips with my new V1

Saintfran,

I got back from Florida with my new V1. Actually Iím also back from 7 days in Jamaica (Hedonism) as well. I took well over a Gig of photos there, and really looking forward to printing some out. So far I am very happy. I got a 256 meg stick, and would fill it up daily (Playboy was hosting a 3 day event there last week), download it to may laptop, charge it while I napped, and head out for the evening session and fill up the stick again. I really put it through itís paces (including dropping it a time or two, and a trip up Dunnís River falls, ocean high speed cruises etc.). Video is great when the light is good, and the night framing really helped out in the dance clubs. Battery life is its weakest link, and I will probably break down and get a 2nd. The pentax would allow you to review all your photos without changing modes where as the Sony will only allow you to see your last. (You need to change to playback mode to see more). Flash recharge time is my only other complaint.
Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:37 PM   #7

Default Hey

Hey Pat

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I am about to get a sandisk 256mb mem stick pro stick for $200AUSD. I think it should be enough to last me until i can get a 1gig in a year or so. By then there should be 2 and 4 gig and prices for 1 should drop. I am enjoying the camera, night framing is really coming in on its own. I agree with you about the flash charge. I also got the sony accessory pack that includes a cyber-shot carry case, spare battery and a mem stick holding case for $109AUSD. BTW the playboy thing, can you post any photos or link it here, it would be nice.

anyway ive decided to get the extra warranty for 5 years, it will be worth it if it even breaks down once. Ive also come close to dropping it. would be very bad.

bye