Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:40 PM   #1

I just purchased a Sandisk 1gb Memory stick pro for my Sony Cybershot DSC-P9 Camera and when I install it I get a memory stick error. Is the memory stick bad or not compatible? Is their a firmware upgrade that I need? Any suggestions?

Terry
raceman147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:39 PM   #2
Administrator

Terry:

I hate to tell you this. But, your model is not compatible with Memory Stick Pro media.

It's limited to the original Sony Memory Stick in sizes up to 128MB.

No Sony models introduced prior to 2003 (with the exception of the DSC-F717, introduced in Fall 2002) are compatible with Memory Stick Pro, and your model was introduced in early 2002.

If you can return the 1GB Memory Stick Pro, great (but, some vendors will not accept returns on opened media).

A 128MB Memory Stick size is the best you can do with your camera, although you can get a "Memory Stick Select" card (if you can find one), that allows you to switch between two banks of 128MB for 256MB total (using 128MB at a time).

Basically, these cards have a tiny A/B switch on the card, where the camera only sees 128MB at a time. So, when you fill up 128MB, you move the switch to the other position and you get another 128MB (256MB total in one card).

But, most vendors appear to have been out of stock of Memory Stick Select media for quite a while now.

I noticed that B&H still has 128MB Memory Stick media in stock. Here's the listing:

Sony 128MB Memory Stick for $17.95 at B&H

Sonystyle.com also has 128MB Memory Stick in stock for 2 bucks more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:04 AM   #3

Jim,

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling that was the case.

Terry

raceman147 is offline   Reply With Quote