Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:43 AM   #1

I recently bought a Sony T-10 (Steve's recomendation and others). Through my brief experience with this camera I have found the following issues:

-Excessive red eye and even white/silver eye.

-Blurry pictures taken with flash setting on auto and/or slow sync. Flash setting on "ON" this peoples faces are too bright.

Note: all these pictures were taken indoors during the evening; parties.

My question is are there any settings/techniques I could change/use to reduce/eliminate this?

Am I doing something wrong (settings are all default from factory)?

Should I have bought the Canon PowerShot SD630 instead?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Milkyway22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:38 PM   #2

There is nothing you can do with the red-eye except fix it with software. Same is true for the SD630. There is plenty of freeware with one click red-eye fixes.

There is a flash level in the menu. You might try it on low for people close to the camera.

The T10 would be a lot better than the SD630 for trying to handhold slow sync flash as far as not blurring anything not moving. Both cameras would be useless for slow sync with subject movement.

I have no idea whether the SD630 moderates its flash for close subjects better than the T10. The T10 has better aperture at zoom where you really need it and stabilization. I would think it a little better for what you are using it for.

You might be happier with the Fuji F30 if you don't need large prints. You can crank up the ISO and do a lot better with party shots. It isn't as small though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:02 PM   #3

Thanks a lot Slipe!!!

So you think I would have the same red eye problems with a different camera; Canon SD-630, 800, 900...?

I really like this camera... Thats my only gripe with it. Friends with cheaper cameras, don't seem to have the same red eye problem as I do...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:35 PM   #4

Do you have any sample pics of the blur you are talking about?

I get that sometimes but that may be due to subjects being too far from camera.

slow sync only works if you have a tripod or extremely steady hands!!

F30 is great for non-flash photography cuz the ISO is so high it is sensitive in low light. Otherwise, all other sub-compacts have the issues you mentioned.

Also make sur eyou hold the camera closer to you, not far away. That helps too.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:49 PM   #5

Quote:
So you think I would have the same red eye problems with a different camera; Canon SD-630, 800, 900...?
Of those cameras - definitely. Kodak has been pretty good for red eye with some of the V series cameras. But it is generally a function of the distance between the flash and lens. The closer the flash to the lens the harder it is to control red eye.

DCRP does a specific red eye test for all of their camera reviews. Scroll down to the red eye test for the SD630. It is about the same as all of the SD series and not any better than the T10: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca..._sd630-review/

The V610 has no red eye at the range the test is done: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/v610-review/ Since the fix is both mechanical and software based it is probably better at all ranges.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:42 AM   #6

Iexchanged my T-10 for the T-50 this weekend and the physical differences are the flash strobe is larger on the T-50 along with the battery size also being larger. On a side note, the T-50's battery takes forever to charge...
The anti-shake though is no different. Both models have the same anti-shake. Where the difference comes in is in the T-50's larger flash...brighter the flash the better the anti-shake will work... At least that's what the Sony rep explained... So far I've had the same results with the T-50 as with the T-10. I am enjoying my T-50 better, but thats probably due to the gadget features the T-50 has...touch screen, luminated buttons, and overall finer detail/finish of the body and buttons...

I'll post my findings after this weekend when I go to a party and take some pictures!!!