Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1

:?Hello everyone. I've been using my DSC W30 for a year and last month I have problems in taking photos.

When I use the FLASH, pictures are too DARK and sometimes pictures are too bright. I did not experience this when the camera is still new. I understand that Flash features have distance limitsbut even in taking pictures within one meter with FLASH on, the pictures are too DIM. (when I say dim, you cant see a thing) and sometimes pictures are too BRIGHT. ( that its like a reflection of light in a mirror)

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

born_lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:02 AM   #2

HELLO, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WIT A BRAND NEW CAMERA W30. SEEMS TO BE A WEAK POINT OF THIS CAMERA. NOBODY COULD HELP. YOU HAVE BETTER CHANGE WITH A BRAND CAMERA.
I 'VE CHANGED IT WITH CANON.
icento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Administrator

You probably changed a setting somewhere causing it.

Check your metering mode and flash strength settings for starters.

If you changed to Spot Metering and meter on something dark, you may get overexposed photos. Or, if you're using Spot Metering and meter on something bright, you may get underexposed photos. Reflective subjects can also cause exposure issues.

Unless you're very careful of what you're metering on to make sure it's relatively neutral, you're probably better off using the Default Matrix (mult-segment) or Center Weighted metering modes instead.

See this page of your model's review for some of the available options (or, check your manual):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/w30_pg3.html

If you can't figure out what's causing it, post a sample image and forum members may be able to tell what you're doing wrong.

A number of things can infuence image brightness (Exposure Compensation, Metering Mode, Flash Strength settings, and more).

Even your Autofocus Point can influence flash exposure with many models (because the camera tends to weight the focus point more for exposure). So, if you focus on something further away, you may leave closer subject overexposed (and vice-versa), depending on the camera.

But, chances are, you just changed a setting somewhere (metering mode, flash strrength, exposure compensation) causing your issues.

You'll also find an initialize menu option in your setup menus that will probably reset most settings back to factory defaults.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:53 PM   #4

Hi Jim!

thanks for the reply.

Yes, at first I thought that it maybe because I changed some of the settings (just ilke what youve mentioned). So, I also tried using the reset menu to its original / factory settings. I thought this might solve the problem, but still, it did not. After choosing reset, when I take pictures, it is still the same.

I brought my DSC-W30 to Sony Service Center and I am hoping they could fix it and tell me soon what caused the problem. Its still covered by the 3 years warranty.

Thanks again!

Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:12 PM   #5

I'm facing the same problem here with the same camera. Is this something probably a problem or a common mistake among young photographers when using the flash?
john556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:15 PM   #6

Hi! my DSC W30 was fixed by Sony Tech. They told me that the problem for overexposure and underexposure is the lens was torn. They replaced it and now its functioning.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:12 PM   #7

My daughter's DSC-W30 has the same problem. If I take the exact same indoor flash picture several times in a row, some are way overexposed and some are way underexposed. As mentioned before, this seems to be a common malfunction with this camera and is not (in most cases) due to user error.

I've found a couple of things that help...

1. Go to the menu and turn off the red eye reduction. The problem doesn't occur nearly as often with that turned off.
2. Cover the photo sensor (the sensor closest to the "C" in Carl Zeiss) with your finger when taking flash pictures. This may not give the perfect exposure, but it's much better than before.

As for a "torn lens", not sure about that one... glass doesn't tear. Could there be an internal "shield" around the lens that tore??? My money is on a faulty photo sensor.
darrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:43 AM   #8

exactly the same problem here! (grr) (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/in...ID=21&sr=1)

the problem comes up AFTER my warranty runs out and it costs more to get it fixed than buying a new one...how ridiculous!

so i naively invested in a sony thinking its a good bet to last a while...looks like i should chase another brand, or buy cheaper digicams and use them disposably.

merry xmas, lol!
fsa259 is offline   Reply With Quote