Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:48 PM   #1

Hi there all. I bought an H5 yesterday. I almost always take pictures of my daughter, and are almost always inside. What setting are best for the least amount of shutter lag? I don't really have an issue with the turning on-to 1st shot, just shot to shot. For some reason it seems extremely slow to me. I keep waiting for the green light to stop blinking and take the pic, and sometimes it seems like 4 or 5 seconds. I also have a sony dsc-v3 that I have been doing some tests with, and the v3 is much quicker. In the same setting it is only taking 1 to 2 seconds. I was wondering if I might have a setting wrong that is slowing it down. I turned off red eye. Any help would be great. I am getting worried!!! thanks.
kayleezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2

I think camera delay is related to camera flash recharge time
I'd try to
a) use only freshly charged batteries,
b) raise ISO to 400 -800
Higher ISO dramatically reduce flash demand of a batteries power

Cheers

s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3

There are loads of recommendations for settings in the H1 Whitepaper.

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/

If by green light you mean the focus indicator in the lcd(as opposed to the flash indicator on the camera itself), well point and shoots will never have the fast focus ability of a dslr.

Set the camera up as per the settings at

http://www.aakatz.com/WhitePaper/part14.htm

Make sure you have enough light, the focus works by detecting the contrast in an image, trying to focus in dim light makes it tough for the camera and also try to find a bit on contrast in the scene, ie focusing on a plain white dress or wall will make it very tough to lock focus.

If the subject is unmoving ie seated in one place , then once you come out of auto mode for example going to program mode, you can use the focus button on the top on the camera to switch to manual focus which locks the focus at the lastautofocus position meaning no focusing needs to be done , you can shoot as fast as the camera can save the shot/recharge the flash.

So, while out of auto mode, half press the shutter to lock focus, then press the focus button till you reach manual focus.

You can then fully press the button each time with no need to wait for any autofocus or green light to show.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4

thank you for the replies. I set my camera to those exact settings. I printed the white paper article a few days before I bought it. I will keep playing with it today and see if it helps. My biggest concern was that my old dsc-v3 was capturing the picture much faster. I thought maybe this one would be the sam or better,not worse. The shot to shot was only taking the focus light to stop blinking and turn green, maybe 1-2 seconds. The H5 is taking 4 or 5 seconds. thanks
kayleezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:32 PM   #5

I just handled the H5 at Circuit City. It was not the purpose of my visit.

I zoomed all the way and took a shot of a package of HP 4x6 photo paper, which was far enough away from me to fill almost the entire LCD ( top to bottom), the pack was too skinny to fill the sides.

Well I pressed the shutter and waited about 3 seconds and the flash fired and the image came out blurry. Tried the same thing with my elbow resting on the counter, still the long shutter lag and focus lag , then the shot, it was blurry.

The only purpose of this post is to state thatI had to wait about 3 seconds for the focus and flash to be ready before the camera took the shot., which is a deal breaker for me.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6

Hmmm, that's odd that the pictures came out blurry. I get excellent results from my H5 although I rarely use the maximum zoom and as long as the batteries show half or more, the flash recharge time is pretty quick and I don't really notice any shutter lag. The auto-focus in low light at the long end of the zoom is somewhat slow, but it has never caused me to lose an important shot.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:43 PM   #7

I just bought the H5 a couple days ago and don't think it's the fastest with taking pictures either. I read somewhere thatthe H5 has shutter speed of 1/1000 sec whereas Canon's S3 has 1/3200sec.
lmn927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:57 PM   #8

lmn927 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought the H5 a couple days ago and don't think it's the fastest with taking pictures either. I read somewhere thatthe H5 has shutter speed of 1/1000 sec whereas Canon's S3 has 1/3200sec.
But how often are you in bright enough sunlight to actually need or be able to usesuch a fast shutter ?

Sure its useful, but in daily day to day picture taking might only be of use on the brightest of days for a tiny percentage of shots.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote