Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:06 AM   #1

My hands naturally shake quite a lot, so much so that at full telephoto zoom 50% of my photo's come out blurred and more annoyingly the shake warning symbol continually flashes, is there a way of turning the warning off while keep OIS on.

Secondly what's the best way to hold the H2 to prevent camera shake. I do have 2 tri-pods but prefer to shoot from the hip (not literally).:?
davesdigicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:41 AM   #2

davesdigicam wrote:
Quote:
My hands naturally shake quite a lot, so much so that at full telephoto zoom 50% of my photo's come out blurred and more annoyingly the shake warning symbol continually flashes, is there a way of turning the warning off while keep OIS on.

Secondly what's the best way to hold the H2 to prevent camera shake. I do have 2 tri-pods but prefer to shoot from the hip (not literally).:?
HOld the camera against your body, take a deep breathe and hold it in, take the picture and hold the button in until the picture has taken, dont let off of it until its over.
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3

That shake warning comes on a low shutter speeds.

Its automatic, it does not tell you there is too much shake, its simply a warning that there may be the possibility of shake.

Indeed even if the camera is perfectly still, or on a tripod the warning still comes on.

As you zoom the effects of shake become more apparent, and you need a faster shutter speed to negate this even with stabilization.

The old rule was 1/focal length ie at full zoom of 432mm you would need a speed of 1/432s or faster to prevent shake.

The rule assumes the camera to be held correctly, using the viewfinder with it pressed against the eye, arms into the body, which all help to negate shake.

Holding the camera incorrectly, arms length, to see the lcd, well that rule might now be 1/2xfocal length !

Stabilisation helps reduce this by 2 stops or so, ie 1/432s could be reduced to 1/100s or so.

If you can't get these shutter speeds try increasing the ISO, maybe 400 tops or 800 if you have a decent noise reduction program (neatimage, noise ninja etc) and can boost the color saturation later.

Or rest the camera on a ledge or fence or use a monopod if you don't want to carry a tripod.

Actually increasing ISO to say 200 (which is pretty decent) is an excellent way to boost flash recovery time, especially if you are used to the recovery period with ISO locked to 80.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks for that info, it should help, given my shakey disposition would it make sense to be in full manual mode for most, if not all of my photo's, mainly to enable quick iso and shutter speed settings, if not what is the ideal general purpose setting I can use, given that my hands do shake.

I have tried sport mode but found the setting darkened the image, which meanteither using the flash or changing the iso.
davesdigicam is offline   Reply With Quote