Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:04 PM   #1

Default New F717 Owner Here

Hi, everybody. I thought I'd introduce myself after lurking on the site for the past couple months. Very informative, good, and helpful opinions on here.

First time owner of a digicam...a Sony F717. Awaiting tripod and wide-angle lens.

By the way...when I take a pic in TIFF mode, there doesn't seem to be any difference in image quality. Am I doing something wrong?
Crazee4Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:08 PM   #2

Oh yeah, the reason I ask is because I'm a student at Vancouver Film School in the 3D Animation Program and I prefer to take pics in TIFF format...especially helpful in the field of Visual FX. Programs at school like Adobe Premiere and After Effects are weird when it comes to JPEG.
Crazee4Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 7:00 PM   #3

Good choice the 717. You won`t see any difference in the LCD or very doubtful on a monitor. The TIFF is an uncompressed mode with all the data intact. Therefore you should get better results when printing assuming a good printer. Remeber the TIFF is a large file and there is a substantial delay when writing to memory before you can take your next shot.:P
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 8:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee4Sony
Oh yeah, the reason I ask is because I'm a student at Vancouver Film School in the 3D Animation Program and I prefer to take pics in TIFF format...especially helpful in the field of Visual FX. Programs at school like Adobe Premiere and After Effects are weird when it comes to JPEG.
Don't forget that you can convert a JPEG to TIFF via Photoshop or many other image programs.
lunarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:46 PM   #5

Crazee4Sony -

I would not shoot TIFF unless you REALLY need the quality difference. Shoot in JPEG and convert to TIFF for use in Premiere. You will be using a 1 meg file vs. 16 meg file!!

What version of Premiere are you using? It should be able to handle JPEG's just fine. However, it will have a hard time with a 16 meg still image!

Darrell
http://civideo.com
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote