Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 5, 2003, 7:20 PM   #1

Default Brand New "Blurry" Sony F717

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has had any focusing issues with their Sony Dscf717? I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and so far....I am very disappointed. I sold my Sony DSCS75 to purchase the new Top Dog Model....and so far I feel it was a mistake. I know that sony has had some focusing issues with early models of the 717...but mine does not fall into the serial number range. Sony is however going to repair the item at no cost.

What I am seeing is that if I am taking pictures in daylight, outside, full res, automatic or SCN mode...the pictures come out awesome. But if I go indoors or take pictures at night....then forget it....most of them will be blurry. I have tried everything I can think of and still, most will be blurry. I just went to a wedding and took about 50 pics with at least 3/4th of then out of focus....not gross...but enough to tell they are not sharp or crisp.

I have tried turning off the Hologram AF system...but even then...still not completely focused. Not sure what else to do but can only pray that Sony will fix it right.

I would really like to hear anyone elses comments on this issue. I have been reading a ton of reviews...and everyone seems to think this is the best camera (5MG Pixel) built to date and everyone "loves" their camera.....well except for one.....ME!

Shallowrunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:38 PM   #2

I got one of the early F717's with the AF problem. Sony picked it up at my door and delivered it back in one week, and I haven't had a blurry picture since.
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:51 PM   #3

I have a new F717. I haven't been having problems with blurry pictures. I've had one or two that were out of focus, but generally they're good. My night shots have turned out well. The only fault I have with the image quality is that there's not much contrast. It's easily fixed with Photoshop, but I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with my camera. My P31, which I liked so much it convinced me to sell my film SLR and go completely digital with the F717, seems to produce more contrasty images that are ready to be printed or used on the web with no contrast adjustment.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 6:52 PM   #4

Check your serial number with the Sony site. There are 717 with a focusing problem. If yours is in that range (and by the sound of it ,it will be) contact Sony Service who will collect adjust and return within about 7 working days at no charge.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:53 PM   #5

Hello ShallowRunner.
I am interested to know how this issue work out over time.
Have a nice day.
DGR
David G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 7:37 PM   #6

actually, my night pictures are much better now. The indoor pictures...as I looked more closely, are more "soft" than out of focus. I have come to live with this and now use unsharp mask in photo shop to tweak the sharpness. The repair (programing) that sony did on my camera worked well. I am pleased so far. I am also learning more about it.....like F4 is the sharpess aperature setting for this camera.

ShallowRunner.
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:22 PM   #7

Default Sony focussing issue

My 717 was not on the list of numbers but it had the focussing and other issues, and Sony put it right. The Sony number list is not by any means complete. It was published on the Sony Italy site, and seems only to cover cameras distributed to that part of the world.

One year on, and my 717 now has a "card read error" problem and is back with Sony. When it comes back it is going to be dumped. A stunning camera, but sadly not one I now have faith in. It packed up just after my son's wedding shoot. Was I lucky!
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 5:18 PM   #8

Kcemb and ShallowRunner.
How did the problem with autofocus show itself? Please be specific.
David GR
David G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:06 PM   #9

Hi Shallowrunner,
I'm having similiar problems with Focus on my brand new F717.
My camera doesn't fall under the serial number affected. Was it worth it to send it off to Sony Service. How do you go about scheduling the service??Thanks for your help!John :roll:
jman102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G.R.
Kcemb and ShallowRunner.
How did the problem with autofocus show itself? Please be specific.
David GR
It was when the camera was brand new, just released, the now well known problem of poor focus when the light is just low enough for the laser to activate. It seems that the camera became confused and focus was poor. The Sony Italy site published a list of the numbers of defective cameras, but this was misleading because people took it to be a complete list, but it actually seemed only to apply to Italy. My camera was bought from Jessops in the Uk, was not on the Italy list, but was on another list somewhere, and had the fault. The Sony service was beyond criticism. Sadly, the camera gave another known fault a month ago and went back to Sony. Another well known one that seems to be associated with poor contacts to the memory card, giving a "Card Read Error" message,and the camera remaining inoperable. Again, excellent service, but now lost faith in the camera.
cheers
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote