Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:24 AM   #1

I owned a cybershot DSC-P5. This is an old model, so, I'm not sure whether the newer ones are better. Anyway, I'm not a professional photographer, but everytime I try taking a close shot, it looks like it's floating! Anyway, just want to share with you all that that although I still like Sony stuff, the only problem is that Sony is so aloof, any of it's parts doesn't seem to be compatible with anything else. Although I know they keep their products unique so that we continue just buying Sony stuff, but I guess ultimately, the poor compatibility with other products will make the brand less popular.

Anyway, feel free to just visit my humble blog (w w w. fo-toes.blogspot.c o m) where I take photos of places I've been as well as things that I think it's interesting to share with the rest of the world! Do leave me comments so that I may also improve on my photography skills.
co77ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:19 AM   #2

Thanks for invitation to your blog.

Now about SONY.
You complain that SONY cameras have poor compatibility with other products. I'd like to have more specifics to discuss.
As far as I know the most common complain is proprietary memory stick from SONY.
It is true, SONY wants to us to use SONY (even so it is made by SANDISK). The same can be said about FUJI and OLYMPUS with their xD cards. What else is not compatible? I wish you will share with me your specific.
Cheers
Simon G
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:25 AM   #3

Yes, so far, in the context of digital camera, it's the memory stick issue. When I travel, I see others able to pass along their memory stick between different cameras and I'm always the odd-ball that I have to just to Sony.
co77ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:20 PM   #4

The Sony 828 and R1 cameras also use compactflash.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:00 AM   #5

I have the F828, P73 and T1 and never have had any problems with them or the memory sticks issue. But maybe I have got lucky when I bought the F828 I got a free 1 gig card which I have never been able to fill up just taking photos. Also I don't know where everybody lives but I can pick the 1 gig ( large sticks ) for $29. and $48. or less sometimes on sale for the small pro-duo.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:57 AM   #6

I'm unclear why swapping memory sticks would be an issue at all. I've never had to do this, nor any desire to.
coachjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:51 AM   #7

Quote:
"When I travel, I see others able to pass along their memory stick between different cameras and I'm always the odd-ball that I have to just to Sony"

I think co77ee means "memory card", and he does not realize "Memory Stick" is the proprietary name for Sony's flash memory card when others mention it. He must have seen other people swapping more popular SD cards or something.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:26 PM   #8

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
"When I travel, I see others able to pass along their memory stick between different cameras and I'm always the odd-ball that I have to just to Sony"

I think co77ee means "memory card", and he does not realize "Memory Stick" is the proprietary name for Sony's flash memory card when others mention it. He must have seen other people swapping more popular SD cards or something.
I think co77ee wants all of us to visit his gallery. The rest of his post is irrelevant
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote