Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:21 PM   #1

I recently bought the Sony TC and have been using it with my H5 handheld to try and get close-ups of birds in the trees round our garden. Although I have experimented a lot with ISO and different light conditions, only about 10% of the shots are sharp - below is one of the good ones of a blackbird caught in the act of stealing any Ivy berry in the hawthorn trees!

It does seem to need much better light and higher ISOs than the 12x zoom in order to get a higher shutter speed, but sometimes a relatively low shutter speed (160 with ISO200 for the blackbird) gives a good picture. Any helpful suggestions to increase my success rate would be helpful (I do use the tripod for feeder based shots).
Attached Images

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2

That looks pretty good. I just got a 1.78 teleconverter lens from sony and am not pleased. I have an H2 and when I put the lens on all I see is blurry. I'm not sure what to do with it.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:06 PM   #3

How close are you trying to get the camera+tcon to focus ?

Adding the tcon will extend the minimum focus distance at full zoom to nearly 12 feet !

A front mounted tcon unlike a rear mounted tcon for dslrs does not steal light.

A tcon on a dslr would cost a couple of stops, on a digicam it may cost a few percent due to light absorbtion or reflection off the new layers of glass but thats all.

One thing you do have to consider is the extra reach means you need a faster shutter speed to negate hand shake or when outside shake even when on a tripod due to high gusts of wind.

Spot focus is good when you need to pick out a small target among branches.

The H series Whitepaper by AAK covers using tcons.

http://www.aakatz.com/whitepaper/Part11.htm

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:33 PM   #4

Yes, I was pleased with the blackbird shot but many shots come out a lttle blurred. My experience is that the shutter speed has to be quite high for hand held shots - 1/400 or faster which means sunlight on the subject. Try experimenting in sunlit situations with ISOs up to 400 to get shutter speeds at 1/800 to 1/1000 - you should get some sharp pictures. I use centre weighted exposure and spot focus for the bird pictures. Another tip is to use the burst mode holding the camera with your elbows at your side and the eyepiece firm against your eye.

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:32 AM   #5

I had that problem too with objects close but I have been able to take some shots of birdsthat I thought were pretty good. Although I don't think it gets close enough. I also took some shots of the moon during the lunar eclipse

without the use of a telescope that turned out good.

Does anyone know if the Sony H2 can do 30 second exposures?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:27 AM   #6

Of course..

• 30 sec – 1/1000 sec. (Shutter Priority, Manual)

Just remember that the noise profile of the camera ramps up badly after 5secs I think.

Meeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:15 PM   #7

I put mine on 30 and it doesn't take 30 seconds it takes a pic in a second.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:26 PM   #8

If shutter speed shows

30 -> 1/30sec

If shutter speed shows

30" -> 30secs

Actually it will show NR30" to indicate automatic noise reduction has turned on.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote