Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Just got the F-707 today!

I couldn't stand it anymore. Reading all the kudos about the F-707 broke me... I printed out all the price quotes I could find and, in a trance-like state, drove to Sears. They had ONE left. It was FATE (although they said they'd surely get more in, only two at a time). They turned away a few of the web quotes for being 'grey market', but finally gave it to me for $626. They included the web quote's "S&H" charges in their price match, which I personally think is BS, but I am happy. Heard a rumor from someone just recently visiting a Sony hoo-doo in Okinawa, Japan who said a Sony Rep told her that the F-707's successor is due out in the fall. Haven't even opened the box yet... too tired... but at least I got one.

Regards,

Willa

Sony F-707
Olympus C-2100uz
Olympus E-100rs
Olympus D-40z

[Edited on 7-17-2002 by Willa]
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:37 AM   #2

Open it...Keep it...Enjoy it....let us all know what you think! I love mine...

dont worry about the upcomming F-909 or what ever its gonna be called...when it really come out then you can join the rest of us and ohhh and ahhhh the new digicam.

BTW...if you register your camera at sony...they give ya a $20 credit toward a purchase...

Enjoy you new toy...
tmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:58 PM   #3

Default Tmoy....

What do you mean if I register my F-707 at Sony? You mean if I call it in? I could use that $20 bucks towards a lens hood or a UV filter! Please let me know! I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy. I don't care what comes out next. I've got all I'm gonna need now for sure, what with the F-707 and a few excellent Olympus cameras. Take care.

Willa
Old Jul 18, 2002, 9:17 PM   #4

There should be a booklet of items in the box that gives you instructions of how to register online, so you get the discount. It may be www.sony.com/register but I'm not sure now.

You get $20.00 off of an accessory when registering online. Once you're done registering, you can do a questionaire, then it has a link where you can "go shopping" and it will enter your coupon code automatically. If not, write down the code number it gives you for a later date (expires I think in 30 days).

Of course, you're paying inflated prices for the items, so really, you're not saving anything. The memory sticks with the coupon are still more expensive than you can get them at Costco for now. But I did go ahead and buy the external flash unit and it does work very well.

You will need a much larger memory card, so go ahead and plan on that somewhere, and a 58mm UV filter to leave on the front of it at all times - to protect the lens. Don't waste the $50 on the plastic len's hood on the Sony site - you can get a rubber screw-on version at Ritz camera in the malls for $6.00 (grin).

Greg

(P.S... got my 707 the same way.. via Sears price matching. Same here, too. Got denied once for a web site that does the grey market stuff, but I wound up finding a legit one and also got it for around $625.00. Nice thing there, but Sears isn't allowed to advertise they do this in the papers from what I'm told).

Quote:
Originally posted by Willa
What do you mean if I register my F-707 at Sony? You mean if I call it in? I could use that $20 bucks towards a lens hood or a UV filter! Please let me know! I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy. I don't care what comes out next. I've got all I'm gonna need now for sure, what with the F-707 and a few excellent Olympus cameras. Take care.

Willa
[Edited on 7-19-2002 by atlantagreg]

[Edited on 7-19-2002 by atlantagreg]
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 2:00 AM   #5

Default Thanks, Greg!

Especially for the tips about the lens hood! You are right; Sony's prices are so high, I would not be saving anything. I did not know that Costco sold Sony memory sticks! I'm there! Even though I did get a price match for one for $65 for 128 mb at Sears. I don't know who they price matched me to on the memory stick though.. the Sales 'kid' just offered it to me! Not too bad. Still gonna get another one though. Thanks again!

Willa
Old Aug 6, 2002, 5:39 PM   #6

Default Got me a new F707 as well!

Willa:

I got me a new one as well, it's in the mail. I hope you are still liking your new toy? Any suggestion you might have for a new owner would be appreciated. Yukon
Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 12:38 PM   #7

Default Yukon...

I can't wait to really get out and take some photos. It takes phenomenal photos! I really, really like this camera so far, but haven't used it enough to critique it. At first, I thought it was a little ergonomically off, but I was handling it without the batteries in it. When I loaded the batteries it felt more balanced. As Steve mentions in his review, the zoom lever is in a bad place, but I'm used to the Olys (UZI, EZI). The one thing that I don't think I will EVER get used to with the F707 is that pop up flash; it scares the hell out of me everytime it pops open! Good thing I don't use flash much.

Have fun and let me know when you post some photos.

Regards,

Willa
Old Aug 11, 2002, 3:08 PM   #8

Congratulations Willa. The photos I see from the 707 seem to be the highest res and sharpest of all the cameras.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 1:51 AM   #9

Default Thanks, Sarah!

So nice to hear from you and to finally see what you look like! I love your photography, but I've told you that already!

(For those of you haven't seen what this lady does with HER camera(s), I strongly recommend visiting her gallery. And now, I'm especially excited that she approves of my F707 purchase!)

Sarah, if I can half reach your skills, I will be a happy lady. Gotta go see what you've been up to....

Best Regards,

Willa
www.pbase.com/willa

[Edited on 8-12-2002 by Willa]
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:29 AM   #10

I got my sony f707 yesterday,I`ve just updated from an Olympus 3030,and I must say that I have done a lot of reserch into the 707,and the Nikon 5700,and the 707 is definatly better than the 5700,I`ve printed,read,and gone through all the pros and cons with each camera,and to me the 5700 is not as good as the 707,but then some will disagree,its a case of "what do you want from your camera"?,"what size images are you going to output"and in my eyes the sony delivers,BIG TIME!!!!! sorry Nikon and Olympus,Sony have had their thinking heads on whilst Nikon release the the 5700 and Olympus release the 5050 in fall,Sony was taking all the credit for this brilliant camera,at the right time,(I could not afford one until now,I would have bought one when it first came out),but now I`ve got one AT LONG LAST,anyone want to buy a 3030 .

Russell
rpb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote