Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1

I recently received a $150 web credit from Sony to purchase a replacement camera for aDSC-S40 that we had a lot of trouble with. I can't seem to find any reviews on the new S-series digicams from Sony.

I have tried the DSC-S600 and was quite pleased with the results, but it is no longer available on the sonystyle.ca.I am leaning towards the W35, buthesitant because of the proprietary battery. I have grown quite accustomed to the advantage of standard AA batteries.

The DSC-S650 and S700 are new models thatuse AA batteries and have a similar feature set,but I read that they have removed the AF assist lamp which was a feature of the S40 and S600 from these units.

How will the removal of the AF Assist lamp impact the indoor shooting performance of these cameras? What would the result of this be - blurry pics, dark pics, grainy pics? Has anyone used these models? Is this feature as important as is sounds?

Any other drawbacks to these models?

op
opilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:17 PM   #2

I've never used an S650 or S700, but they look very similar to the S500 and S45 models which are truely horrible. The S500 and S45 have a cheap lens,terrible colorand most of the electronics in the camera aren't even made by Sony. The S600 is an excellent camera with the same Carl Zeiss lens as the S40 and the L1. The S40 is actually a pretty good camera aside from the horrible LCD screens they used in them which always cause problems.

In my personal opinion, I would go for the W35 if I were you. It's an excellent camera and even though it doesn't use AA batteries, the Lithium-ion battery that comes with it lasts very long per charge.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:55 AM   #3

I HAVE A W35 TOP CLASS CAMERA IN ALL RESPECTS, BATTERY LIFE IS EXCELLENT. THE W55 IS SAME CAMERA WITH A BIGGER LCD. A REAL VALUE FOR MONEY P/S WALK ABOUT IN YOUR POCKET CAMERA. PS I ALSO HAVE SONY A100 DSLR.
scunnered is offline   Reply With Quote