Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1

After charging the battery, battery condition indicates 177 minutes on the high capacity li-ion battery.

Within a minute or so after being removed from the charger, it goes to 11 minutes and the low battery indicator comes on. Several minutes later the camera won't turn on. My other battery is a standard capacity and has the same effect.

I remove the battery from the camera and check the voltage with a VOM and it is reading 8.0 volts or thereabout and remains at that level for several days.

I don't think the problem is the battery, but could it be perhaps another battery in the camera that powers the date stamp circuitry? Is it possible that this battery is defective now?

The camera is about 6 or 7 years old and up till recently worked fine with no problems.

Is it time to go shopping? :sad:
rstaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Administrator

Well.. sometimes these things can be hard to troubleshoot. Just because you see good voltage with a voltmeter, doesn't mean it's going to behave the same way under load.

Are these two batteries as old as the camera? If so, have you got a newer battery you could try in it?

I'd suspect the battery first. They do tend to go bad after a few years. It could also be the charger.

You could also have a bit of oxidation on the contacts (battery and/or camera) preventing it from making a good enough connection.

My wife's old mobile phone was like that. It's battery just wouldn't hold a charge. I'd simply clean the contacts and it would work fine for a few months (then, I'd repeat). lol

Sometimes, something else can be shorting it out (defective memory stick, etc.). I'd try a different one if you have one. Also, use all dials, switches and buttons to make sure a bit of oxidation under one isn't causing an issue.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the prompt response.

Yes, both batteries were purchased at the same time as the camera so that is a most likely cause.

I voted for a new battery, but wifey has voted for a new camera.

So, I guess you know I have answered my own question about the shopping thing.

I was wondering about a secondary battery that is used for keeping track of the date and whether it might also control the battery condition circuitry. It was just a thought.

The camera works fine when attached to the charger so I think the charger is OK.
rstaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, some models use an internal capacitor to keep the date/time, and some models using a button type battery. But, I doubt that's causing your issue if it's dead.

It would cost you about $40 to find out if the battery is your issue.

Sony NP-F550 Battery Listings at B&H.com

Of course, you'd be taking a risk that the battery is actually the issue.

You can find some of the generics for less on Ebay (around $12 including shipping for some). But, some of the generics don't work right with Sony's system for time remaining and quality can vary between them.

I'd clean the contacts to see if that helps first (including the one's in the camera's battery compartment). If nothing else, try a pencil eraser (or a Q-tip with a touch of alcohol on it to get to them. That's not the recommended way (since most isopropyl alcohol has a high water content and cause oxidation if you don't leave 'em dry). Radio Shack also sells a contact cleaner type pen with a wick on the end of with solution designed for contact cleaning.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote