Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:26 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default

I just ordered an H2, and want to buy a slide duplicator, but every site I go to wants to know if my lens is 52mm or 58mm in order to get the right one. Can someone explain this to me? I understand the H2 comes with a lens adapter. What does the lens adapter actually do? Allow additional lenses to be screwed-on that are 58mm, or allow additional lenses to be screwed-on that are 52mm?
Attached Images
 
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sintares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 647
Default

The lens adapter screws onto the camera and permits 58mm accessories to be attached.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:23 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
The lens adapter screws onto the camera and permits 58mm accessories to be attached.
OK, thanks, so the camera lens is 52mm? And if I buy 52mm add-on lenses (slide duplicator, wide-angle, telephoto, filters, etc.) will they screw right onto the camera lens with no adapter necessary?
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Sintares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 647
Default

No, to mount a 52mm accessory you would need

Camera->adapter->58-52mm step down ring->52mm accessory
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:39 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
No, to mount a 52mm accessory you would need

Camera->adapter->58-52mm step down ring->52mm accessory
So, then, the camera lens is 58mm, and not 52mm like I just asked, and the adapter ring steps the 58mm cameera lens down to 52mm so that 52mm add-ons can be used? Is this right? And what type of adapter does Sony provide - a 58mm down to 52mm?
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:41 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default

zeico wrote:
Quote:
Sintares wrote:
Quote:
No, to mount a 52mm accessory you would need

Camera->adapter->58-52mm step down ring->52mm accessory
So, then, the camera lens is 58mm, and not 52mm like I just asked, and the adapter ring steps the 58mm cameera lens down to 52mm so that 52mm add-ons can be used? Is this right? And what type of adapter does Sony provide - a 58mm down to 52mm?
Part of my problem is understanding the terminology. When I say "camera lens" I believe I am talking about the camera's lens "mount", or "screw-in". Sorry.... I'm a real dummy on this!
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Sintares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 647
Default

The adapter tube is the only way to attach anything to the front of the lens, since the lens extends outwards when the camera is powered so it needs a tube to contain the fully entended lens.

The end of the adapter can take 58mm accessories.

You can buy a 58->52mm step down ring to fit the end of the tube so smaller accessories can fit.

The Sony adapter is cheap plastic, you can buy metal adapter tubes that are a fraction shorter which helps to avoid vignetting when more than one accessory is attached to the end of the tube.

I have never used a 52mm accessory but it may cause the outside of the image to darken or perhaps even show in picture when at wide angle, but assuming a slight crop this should not be a problem.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:17 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
The adapter tube is the only way to attach anything to the front of the lens, since the lens extends outwards when the camera is powered so it needs a tube to contain the fully entended lens.

The end of the adapter can take 58mm accessories.

You can buy a 58->52mm step down ring to fit the end of the tube so smaller accessories can fit.

The Sony adapter is cheap plastic, you can buy metal adapter tubes that are a fraction shorter which helps to avoid vignetting when more than one accessory is attached to the end of the tube.

I have never used a 52mm accessory but it may cause the outside of the image to darken or perhaps even show in picture when at wide angle, but assuming a slight crop this should not be a problem.
For many years, I used a Canon Pellix QL 35mm SLR, and to change lenses you simply twisted it off, removed it, replaced with another, and twisted it on. Filters screwed onto the end of whatever lens I used. Consequently, digital cameras with built-in lenses built-in is really new to me. Let's see if I got this right:

The 58mm adapter tube (metal, preferably, for additional cost [and better than the plastic one supplied with the H2]) is fastened to the end of the camera lens. At that point, I could add any screw-on 58mm lens or filter to the end of the adapter tube. But, if I wish to use 52mm lenses I must buy a 58mm>52mm step-down ring that attaches to the end of the adapter tube, but there may be some image problems. It would be more advantageous to get 58mm lenses and filters whenever possible.

If this is correct, thanks a million! If I am wrong, PLEASE correct me.

Zeico
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Sintares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 647
Default



The tube actually screws onto the piece of silver casingthat surrounds the lens,the lens itselfhas no place to attachanything.

You can see how far the lens pokes out in the pic on the right, when shut down the lens pulls back to sit flush with the silver "ring" of the casing as you can see above.

The tube provides a standard 58mm diameter mount for accessories, filters, wide angles, tcons etc

An alternate tube adapter is sold by Pemaraal, see http://www.pemaraal.com/H1acc.html




Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:56 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks! I found one last night and sent for it. I hope this is the right one!


Attached Images
 
zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:11 AM.