Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:26 PM   #1

I just ordered an H2, and want to buy a slide duplicator, but every site I go to wants to know if my lens is 52mm or 58mm in order to get the right one. Can someone explain this to me? I understand the H2 comes with a lens adapter. What does the lens adapter actually do? Allow additional lenses to be screwed-on that are 58mm, or allow additional lenses to be screwed-on that are 52mm?
Attached Images

zeico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:19 PM   #2

The lens adapter screws onto the camera and permits 58mm accessories to be attached.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:23 PM   #3

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
The lens adapter screws onto the camera and permits 58mm accessories to be attached.
OK, thanks, so the camera lens is 52mm? And if I buy 52mm add-on lenses (slide duplicator, wide-angle, telephoto, filters, etc.) will they screw right onto the camera lens with no adapter necessary?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4

No, to mount a 52mm accessory you would need

Camera->adapter->58-52mm step down ring->52mm accessory
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:39 PM   #5

Sintares wrote:
Quote:

So, then, the camera lens is 58mm, and not 52mm like I just asked, and the adapter ring steps the 58mm cameera lens down to 52mm so that 52mm add-ons can be used? Is this right? And what type of adapter does Sony provide - a 58mm down to 52mm?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:41 PM   #6

zeico wrote:
Quote:
Sintares wrote:
Quote:

So, then, the camera lens is 58mm, and not 52mm like I just asked, and the adapter ring steps the 58mm cameera lens down to 52mm so that 52mm add-ons can be used? Is this right? And what type of adapter does Sony provide - a 58mm down to 52mm?
Part of my problem is understanding the terminology. When I say "camera lens" I believe I am talking about the camera's lens "mount", or "screw-in". Sorry.... I'm a real dummy on this!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:59 PM   #7

The adapter tube is the only way to attach anything to the front of the lens, since the lens extends outwards when the camera is powered so it needs a tube to contain the fully entended lens.

The end of the adapter can take 58mm accessories.

You can buy a 58->52mm step down ring to fit the end of the tube so smaller accessories can fit.

The Sony adapter is cheap plastic, you can buy metal adapter tubes that are a fraction shorter which helps to avoid vignetting when more than one accessory is attached to the end of the tube.

I have never used a 52mm accessory but it may cause the outside of the image to darken or perhaps even show in picture when at wide angle, but assuming a slight crop this should not be a problem.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:17 PM   #8

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
The adapter tube is the only way to attach anything to the front of the lens, since the lens extends outwards when the camera is powered so it needs a tube to contain the fully entended lens.

The end of the adapter can take 58mm accessories.

You can buy a 58->52mm step down ring to fit the end of the tube so smaller accessories can fit.

The Sony adapter is cheap plastic, you can buy metal adapter tubes that are a fraction shorter which helps to avoid vignetting when more than one accessory is attached to the end of the tube.

I have never used a 52mm accessory but it may cause the outside of the image to darken or perhaps even show in picture when at wide angle, but assuming a slight crop this should not be a problem.
For many years, I used a Canon Pellix QL 35mm SLR, and to change lenses you simply twisted it off, removed it, replaced with another, and twisted it on. Filters screwed onto the end of whatever lens I used. Consequently, digital cameras with built-in lenses built-in is really new to me. Let's see if I got this right:

The 58mm adapter tube (metal, preferably, for additional cost [and better than the plastic one supplied with the H2]) is fastened to the end of the camera lens. At that point, I could add any screw-on 58mm lens or filter to the end of the adapter tube. But, if I wish to use 52mm lenses I must buy a 58mm>52mm step-down ring that attaches to the end of the adapter tube, but there may be some image problems. It would be more advantageous to get 58mm lenses and filters whenever possible.

If this is correct, thanks a million! If I am wrong, PLEASE correct me.

Zeico
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:00 AM   #9

The tube actually screws onto the piece of silver casingthat surrounds the lens,the lens itselfhas no place to attachanything.

You can see how far the lens pokes out in the pic on the right, when shut down the lens pulls back to sit flush with the silver "ring" of the casing as you can see above.

The tube provides a standard 58mm diameter mount for accessories, filters, wide angles, tcons etc

An alternate tube adapter is sold by Pemaraal, see http://www.pemaraal.com/H1acc.html

Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:56 AM   #10

Thanks! I found one last night and sent for it. I hope this is the right one!

Attached Images