Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:40 AM   #1

I am very interested in updating my super zoom camera. I am currently shooting with a Canon S3 IS. I was one of the original super zoomers with a first gen Panasonic. I have seen the specs and other threads about the new H9/H7. WOW! I hate it though when I see a new camera coming out I love, there is always something that keeps it from being perfect for my needs. The description on Sony's website, states that it has a flip up screen. I am concluding from this description that it only flips up. I am a big race fan (ALMS) and frequently utilize the rotating screen on my S3 to take pictures over other fans and fences at the tracks, above my head. Its a great feature and works well for my needs. If the H9 doesnt swivel, then this will be a selling feature I will have to consider important enough to me not too buy. Other than that this is the next camera for me. Can't wait to see the reviews. Or just hurry up and release the Canon S9 Super Camera!! Please Canon give me 3.0" swivel screen and 15+x zoom!! RAW...that would be nice.....
joelovescoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 3:02 PM   #2

The lcd tilts upwards and down 90 degrees.
Quote:
The LCD on the DSC-H9 can tilt up to 90-degrees upward and 90-degrees downward to simplify high and low angle shooting. For example, you can hold the camera up and tilt the LCD down when shooting a subject on the other side of a crowd, or lower the camera and turn the LCD up when photographing small children and pets. Either way, your subject remains in clear view on the screen.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:19 PM   #3

Don't overlook reports on the wide viewing angle possible with the 3" LCD of the H9.

This is from Digitalcamerainfo.com:

"Despite the fact that the LCD tilts for a better view, the screen itself still has a wide viewing angle. Even if you don't tilt it, you can still see what's going on. Surprisingly, the LCD can be viewed from almost any angle: up and down and side to side. All around, the view looks great especially with the 230,000 pixels of resolution. The information on the display can be changed via the top of the LCD screen. Info can appear or disappear, and a histogram can be viewed as well. "

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:45 PM   #4

Thanks for all the help. I had not seen all of the reviews that everyone was referring me too. I have looked at all the info and the camera really looks nice. The swivel looks like it will work for my needs. I can't wait to see some pics from this camera. I did notice from the specs there is not a RAW capture mode. That hasn't been an issue for me up to this point. However with all the new software available that can manipulate RAW images it would have been a nice bonus to play with. In fact, I am trying to find the best price online for preorder so that I can go ahead and place my order. I cant wait to get my hands on this camera. Thank you again to everyone.
joelovescoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:59 PM   #5

This is only my opinion,

but... The main idea of the H9 (H7) design is to handle every image as a Raw capture and reduce the image's noise before it enters the Bionz processor.

In this way the H9 would do much of the Raw PP work I would normally do and provide me with big, good, jpegs. Simplfying the photographic process.

So I won't miss shooting Raw if the design of the H9 operates as publicized.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:51 AM   #6

This camera has me excited to see what it can do with that bionz. Never found raw of any use so that wont be missed. I just hope it has a more solid feeling than the H5. My best friends H5 takes a nice picture but it feels so cheap to hold. If it has the feel of my FZ50 that will be perfect. And with its small size and incredible zoom its perfect for bars and restuarants with live entertainment when theres not much room on the table. Which usually my G7 is used for.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote