Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:58 PM   #1

I just checked the manual. Face Detection is NOT available in P, A, S, orM mode. WHAT:?

ok.. for indoors, i like to set the aperture to the largest which isF2.7 here as long as i got ok speed such as 1/50 or faster. but H9 won't allow us to use face detection here. and this camera has no AE lock either.

so we just turn to dial to AUTO and make it a snap-n-shot camera?
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:05 PM   #2

oh manual here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...SCH9&LOC=3

Cyber-shot® Handbook page 51

and one more little gripe. Steady Shot isn't available in AUTO mode. so we can't use theface detection and SS at the same time unless we set to Scene mode.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:00 PM   #3

Actually in Auto mode steady shot is automatically set to "shooting", you just can't turn it off or change it to continuous.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:52 PM   #4

i just looked thru Canon G7 manual. G7 face detect feature is available at some SCN mode, Auto, and A, S, P, M.

Sigh.. sony!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5

Perhaps Sonythink that if you are using advanced modes such as P A S or M then you just might be competent enough to actually focus on peoples faces yourself if you so choose and also know how to adjust the cameras settings accordingly instead of having a piece of software assume it knows best and do it for you.

If I want a camera to make its own mind up about focus, exposure, white balance I use auto mode, though I might as well have bought any of the other (a lot cheaper) point and shoot cameras out there.

If on the other hand I actually want to be a photographer, to take pictures as I decide then I shift out of auto (dumb) mode and guess what .. make my own decisions, chose my own focus and exposure etc etc
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:26 AM   #6

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps Sonythink that if you are using advanced modes such as P A S or M then you just might be competent enough to actually focus on peoples faces yourself if you so choose and also know how to adjust the cameras settings accordingly instead of having a piece of software assume it knows best and do it for you.

If I want a camera to make its own mind up about focus, exposure, white balance I use auto mode, though I might as well have bought any of the other (a lot cheaper) point and shoot cameras out there.

If on the other hand I actually want to be a photographer, to take pictures as I decide then I shift out of auto (dumb) mode and guess what .. make my own decisions, chose my own focus and exposure etc etc
i'm not professional but i took lots of pix(mainly my babygirland wife) that fooled my friends who though those were done by the pros:lol:

How? By choosing the right aperture or speed, then use AE lock. Most of my pix are clear and bright(seldom underexposure but some over).I've enjoy doing this since my dad gave me the canon AE1 P SLR more than 20 yrs ago.

It's good to have more features such as face detection on A or S mode. So my wife can enjoy using it. BTW, my baby is turning toddler soon. She won't have patience to wait for me playing with the AE lock thing so a faster camera with FD feature suits my needs.a dSLR? i'm think of getting one. bulky, no video, and i've to carry extra lens.

If i want a point-N-shoot camera, i woudn't care about H7/H9 or ask anything about it here. I don't care if i'm a true photographer or point-n-shooter. as long as the pics are good. that's all it matters.

Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7

The entire idea of Face detection is to focus on faces, including enough depth of field to get subjects in focus, set exposure based on Face metering of subjects, set flash level to avoid burnout of faces, therefore in Sony's FaceDetection you would not need to use A or S modes.

You may like all this or not. But Sony is promising no more or less.

I hope they deliver. No word on my H9 or UV filter shipping dates.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:04 PM   #8

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
The entire idea of Face detection is to focus on faces, including enough depth of field to get subjects in focus, set exposure based on Face metering of subjects, set flash level to avoid burnout of faces, therefore in Sony's FaceDetection you would not need to use A or S modes.

You may like all this or not. But Sony is promising no more or less.

I hope they deliver. No word on my H9 or UV filter shipping dates.

Nicholas
That sounds right. But let's say...for indoors, most ppl like to set the aperture to the largest so we canuse faster shutter speed to avoid blurry pix. For outdoors, we just wanna "freeze" our model by setting to faster shutter speed. so it's good to have A and S mode combined with the FaceDetection feature.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If theearly models of Canon alreadyequiped withthat feature(FaceDetection in almost ALL modes), Sony should match it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"and i don't wanna buy any currnet Canon power series because all the current PowerShot models equipped with an aperture priority <Av> shooting mode do NOT display a shutter speed prior to pressing the shutter button half-way. In other words, the shutter speed that will be used for aperture priority mode exposures is not established until the shutter button is pressed half-way.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:42 PM   #9

caddie wrote:
Quote:
I just checked the manual. Face Detection is NOT available in P, A, S, orM mode. WHAT:?

ok.. for indoors, i like to set the aperture to the largest which isF2.7 here as long as i got ok speed such as 1/50 or faster. but H9 won't allow us to use face detection here. and this camera has no AE lock either.

so we just turn to dial to AUTO and make it a snap-n-shot camera?
Thats dissapointing news if correct.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:47 AM   #10

Yeah.. The only thing I am disappointed is a lack of AE lock.. I use it a lot with my DSC-V1.. Face detecting - no idea yet about how it should work. Night shot is a great option that I love very much already, but I'd miss a night framing option..

In general H9 seems to be a fantastic camera. With a lot of options to play with. I always tend to become a pro user of my equipment.

I can't wait to get to know more from Nicholas, as he is going to be one of first getting it.

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote