Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:11 PM   #1

Default Video capturing using Sony DSC 717

Aloha to all...

This is my first post here...so be gentle on me.... :roll:

I have a sony 717...and use it for still photography and for making small video of surgical procedures i make.

Th e movies i record on the sony are limited by my 256MB memory stick, as i usually record in the highest quality.

i recently purchased a satellite toshiba laptop, and was wondering if there was any way in which i can directly record from the camera to my laptop in the operating room? What i mean is, i dont want to record first to memory stick then copy to my laptop, but to directly capture to my laptop.
When i tried Windows movie maker, and chose : Flie/ Capture video, it gave me an error message that there is no capture driver??

Does that mean i need a HARDWARE capture chip to do this??

And if so..is there any LAPTOP that has it....or is there an external solution via USB??

P.S. a friend of mine has a radeon 7200 VIVO graphics card in his home PC, and i have no problem capturing video directly from my camera to his hard disk??

So, am i just wanting to do soemthing that doesnt exist yet on laptops??

thanks! :shock:
oymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:23 PM   #2

Hi,
Well, as best as I can tell, the 717 cannot send direct video over the USB connection, only the files stored on the memory stick. It only installs itself as a removable drive. To copy directly to the laptop, you'd need a composite video input, or a similar video capture card, and plug into the video out on the camera under the viewfinder. That's the only way I know of to do it, and you might try seeing if there is a video capture that can be found that plugs into USB or maybe the PC Card slot. Hope that helps!
Mhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:31 PM   #3

Why not just hook up your laptop with a small web cam? This sounds like the easiest thing to do. As far as connecting the sony directly to record straight through to the lap top....this is not an option. Hope this helps......for what you are doing...the web cam seems the best and easiest way to go. You could even mount it overhead....depending on what type of surgery you do.

Also, as far as your error on your laptop about a capture driver...well, the reason you are getting this, is because you are telling windows to capture video with a video capturing device that does not exist. In other words....you have no device (camcorder or web cam) installed on your computer that can capture video. If you were to install a web cam on your laptop...you would have to install a "driver" (usually comes on a disk when you purchase the web cam) so that your computer will know how to use this web cam. The same goes for installing drivers for a camcorder. Windows needs to know what the device is and how to use it. Hope this helps.

ShallowRunner.
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 3:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowRunner
Why not just hook up your laptop with a small web cam? This sounds like the easiest thing to do. As far as connecting the sony directly to record straight through to the lap top....this is not an option. Hope this helps......for what you are doing...the web cam seems the best and easiest way to go. You could even mount it overhead....depending on what type of surgery you do. \

Also, as far as your error on your laptop about a capture driver...well, the reason you are getting this, is because you are telling windows to capture video with a video capturing device that does not exist. In other words....you have no device (camcorder or web cab) installed on your computer that can capture video. If you were to install a web cam on your laptop...you would have to install a "driver" (usually comes on a disk when you purchase the web cam) so that your computer will know how to use this web cam. The same goes for installing drivers for a camcorder. Windows needs to know what the device is and how to use it. Hope this helps.

ShallowRunner.

Thanks man for your response....

So..in other words....there is NO laptop to date that has the ability of direct capture??

And what will the quality of the webcam be like??

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:54 PM   #5

Well....you can directly capture using your laptop....but you would need to use a camcorder or a web camera. The sony DSCF717 will NOT directly capture. As far as video quality with a web cam, depending what kind you get and how much you pay for it will determine the quality. Even within the software that comes with the web cam, you can choose your video quality. I think you will be quite suprised of the quality. What kind of surgery do you do? Does it require close-up video to see whats actually taking place? Like, are you sewing stitches on...or doing dental surgery? Web cams range anywhere from 20 to probably 100 bucks....and most do have pretty good video quality. The problems usually with these items is that plenty of light is required...but since you do surgery, I would imagine that there is already plenty of light.

ShalllowRunner.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowRunner
Well....you can directly capture using your laptop....but you would need to use a camcorder or a web camera. The sony DSCF717 will NOT directly capture. As far as video quality with a web cam, depending what kind you get and how much you pay for it will determine the quality. Even within the software that comes with the web cam, you can choose your video quality. I think you will be quite suprised of the quality. What kind of surgery do you do? Does it require close-up video to see whats actually taking place? Like, are you sewing stitches on...or doing dental surgery? Web cams range anywhere from 20 to probably 100 bucks....and most do have pretty good video quality. The problems usually with these items is that plenty of light is required...but since you do surgery, I would imagine that there is already plenty of light.

Rhinoplasty and facial aesthetic surgery....Is there a specific model you know of??

ShalllowRunner.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:29 PM   #7

Sorry, but I have been out of pocket for some time. I do not know of any one particular model or brand but I would suggest reading some reviews, and purchase from a place of business that would allow you to exchange or refund an item that you are not pleased with.

Shallowrunner :lol: