Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:38 PM   #1

Hello All,

Waited all day for Fedex, arrived 4:30. We were on the sidewalk waiting ( just like kids ).

My very first thought when the driver handed me the box was ' Is the camera in here? I hope they didn't make a mistake.'

The box was so light, I asked my wife to open it in case it was another HD cord or something else. It was the H9.

I am used to the heavier F828 and R-1. The H9 felt like a toy in size.

I immediately took out the charger and charged my extra batttery. Took 3 hours to charge.

Once I put the adapter on and my new 74 mm UV filter ( which does come with a plastic circular box ) my camera no longer looked like a toy. I am pleased that those at whom I point this camera at will have almost never seen such a large front of a lens pointed at them. It can pass as a quality, even professional camera. This was a very important concern I had.

The lens cap pops off when you t/on the camera ( without the 74 mm UV filter in place. I placed a piece of self stick velcro on the sony name on the cap and on my neck strap ( to be stapled once I decide to keep my H9.)

I will keep the adapter and uv filter on for now. The lenshood works on this very well.

I cut a sock and sewed it closed and it fits over the lenshood perfectly. Looks good too.

I will go into further detail in my next report and would like to offer the outline for my intended Real Life User's review of the H9.

Here are my first images ( #1,3 & 4). #2 had the flash and lens hood shadow.

#1 is automatic ( fantastic flash exposure IMHO ).

#3 is house from my window , 31mm. #4 is the 3fl bathroom window at 432mm.

No PP at all, just downsize for web. I believe Steady Shot was off.

Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:45 PM   #2

Here is picture #3 and 4 ( H9 sequence #):
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:48 PM   #3

Here is a 100% crop of #3, top left of the window:
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:27 AM   #4

Congratulations

Your first pictures look very good. I'm looking forward to reading your opinion and seeing more shots.

Have fun.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:25 AM   #5

Looks good Nick I can't wait to see more photos I plan on taking my H5 out Sunday for a nice photo shoot.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:38 AM   #6

Hi Cyberf828,

I started my 'Real Life User's Review'.

Two threads, first my Introduction, the second my ISO test.

Looking for your response on those threads.

Good shooting on Sunday.

Nicholas
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:46 PM   #7

Congrat Nick. My local Sony store also called me yesterday and they have the H9 in stock now. I may go get one if most of the reviews are good(including yours Nick).

Nick, howdoesH9's face detection work?
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:30 PM   #8

Congrads Nick! I bet you're having a blast, I know I am.

I've been finding the face detection to be hit or miss myself. I've had it set to on and looking directly into one of my kids' face and it not work several times. I haven't figured out what exactly it depends on to make it work routinely. I also had it detect my golden retriever's face once, I wasn't expecting that.

I still can't say enough about the flip screen. That alone was worth the extra money.

I feel like my pictures are amazing.

I can't wait to read all your reviews. I have so much to learn but it feels good I can take a great picture without a lot of knowledge.
justjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:39 AM   #9

Wow after reading all this Im going online sonystyle.ca and purchasing it! I have been browsing everywhere looking for reviews once the camera was on the market and glad to see there are some quick posts. It may take me a few years to figure it all out haha. Pretty big jump up from the crappy little no good camera that I presently have. Concord EyeQ 3340z. I dont know why i've been holding out so long but glad I did. Couple family members have other Sony cybershots, the H1 and an H5 model, but I held right out waiting, not in any hurry. But from my current model you can tell im no photographer :-) Just a girly shooting some basic family pics. Maybe i'll have to hang out here more to learn how to use it when it arrives. The 15x optical zoom and face detection is what had me excited to get it. AND that of course it seems to be better than the two previous models my family members have. That always helps:-)
CarlaJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:24 AM   #10

CarlaJade wrote:
Quote:
Just a girly shooting some basic family pics. Maybe i'll have to hang out here more to learn how to use it when it arrives.
You've described myself. After the Kodak easy share I've been using this camera is awesome, but not all my photos are perfect yet. As I learn more they are really improving, keep in mind it's only been a few days. Also part of some of my not so good pictures is the fact I keep playing with the manual settings but unfortunately I never remember which picture I used what settings for that made them work or not work. I need a kid free day to really play with it.
justjody is offline   Reply With Quote