Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1

Hello All,

This part of my review tests the Zoom Speed and AF Speed and Accuracy of the Sony H9 camera.
-
This test does not represent the resolution or image quality.
-
It takes a little less than 4 seconds from the time the plane appears from the trees in the wide angle shots until it is photographed again in the full telephoto shots.
-
Test conditions, settings:
Camera on Continuous Focus, 1/200 sec.
Camera handheld. Start of test with me sitting on bench with camera hanging on my neck, resting on my belly, set to wide angle, 31mm. on.
I hear a plane approaching, turn my head, and when the plane appears at the edge of the trees on the left, I pickup my camera, aim and shoot at wide angle.
I then immediately zoom from 31mm to 435 mm, full telephoto of the native H9 lens,
I then locate the plane, press the shutter, gain focus and capture the plane as they appear in the 435 mm shots.
-
This is my Real Life User's Test on Camera Responsiveness and AF Speed and Accuracy.
-
My observation about these results led me to think to myself 'There are not many cameras of ANY TYPE that can match this Capture Performance of the H-9'.

Regarding these results, I think I may beright.

I hope you feel this is a camera review unlike any other, and that it is informative.

Please let me and others know what you think.

Here is the link: http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/2782109

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2

Nick I think its looks very good and also nice reports. I just looked at a huge wide angle lens for mine but when I did a before and after there wasn't much difference to justify spending the money on it.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:07 AM   #3

Yes, I too will go slow. I still have alot to explore with the H9 as it is and with the Tele Converter.

Nicholas
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:32 PM   #4

ONLY 56 Hits?

This part of the review is the most revealing about the H9's ability to capture an image rapidly.

Nicholas
Old May 1, 2007, 3:40 PM   #5

Hi Nick

After careful examination of your 432mmaviation shots I note the lack of detail in the subject aircraft, as the owner of an H5 I found alsothat the detail on these H series camera'sat full teleis not as good as my 5yr old 5 megapixelSony DSC-F707 with 1.7 tele-converterattached (323mm)for aviation photography. of coarse the 707 has the Vario-Sonnar lens which issuperior to the Tessa lens butone would think it should not be thatmuch less.

Four years ago I was right into aviation photography and have hundreds of examples from that time and was very suprised that the H5 was not a great camera for this section of photography.

Happy that you are enjoying the H9, however I will wait and see as after viewing the many H9 images posted on the Sony Talk Forumat dpreview so far I believe the image quality of the H9 is no better than the H5 with no substantal increase in ISO performance.

A couple of aviationexamples from the F707 plus Olympus B300 1.7xT/C (323mm)

1. Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200after take off.

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 3:42 PM   #6

2. Virgin Blue 737-700 on finals.
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2007, 6:32 PM   #7

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nick

After careful examination of your 432mmaviation shots I note the lack of detail in the subject aircraft, as the owner of an H5 I found........

Hello Wirraway,

You missed my opening lines of this review:

Nicholas Wrote:

"Hello All,

This part of my review tests the Zoom Speed and AF Speed and Accuracy of the Sony H9 camera.
-
This test does not represent the resolution or image quality."

My review is called the H9 'Real Life User's Review' because my main concern is capturing the moment.

This test involvesfocusing twice, as well as zooming from 31 mm to 435 mm, locating the plane in the sky twice, and set exposure twice, all in less than 4 seconds.

IMHO no other fixed lens digital camera can enable you to shoot successfully under these conditions.
Only the H9.

And if you can't capture the image there is no sense to worry about image quality, IMHO.

Regards,

Nicholas

Old May 2, 2007, 2:14 AM   #8

...."This part of my review tests the Zoom Speed and AF Speed and Accuracy of the Sony H9 camera."

Fair enough Nick, but still don't get the point of "Accuracy"if the photo is soft.

Keep up with the good work testing & reporting with the H9.

Regards Wirraway

-

Old May 2, 2007, 6:02 AM   #9

Thanks for your comments and feedback Wirraway.

Someday, we hope to get to visit your neck of the woods on this globe of ours.

Good Day,

Nicholas
Old May 3, 2007, 3:24 PM   #10

Look also at the color of the sky. Your shots are in bright sunlight, his on an overcast day. It's amazing what a bit of sunlight can do to a picture....
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote