Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 1, 2007, 2:45 PM   #1

Hello there!

I just got my H9 yesterday and, being used to budget point-and-clickers, this thing just blows my mind .

A quick question for you, if I may... I'm having some trouble with the lens hood setup.

I'll refer to the handbook, page 18. Step one, OK. Screw the adapter on. Roger.
Step two, "turn the position ring and position the indicator of the adaptor ring to the indicator of this camera". Huh? When I screw the adaptor on the camera, the indicator is offset about 90 degrees clockwise.
As I understand it, the adapter consists of two parts and this "position ring" should be movable in order to line the indicators up. Somehow I cannot get it to move at all? Is there a catch to it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, we are having a lovely sunny weather at the moment and a lens hood would sure come in handy.

muddyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 6:14 PM   #2

Hello MuddyFox,

Great news, Congratulations on your H9. You will be very happy.

My 'position ring' as you call it, moves freely but with tight clicking.

I had problems at first just in understanding the instructions.

I would remove your adapter without touching the 'Position Ring".

Once you have it off the camera, you should be able to turn the position ring freely.

Then re-install it but only turn ( apply pressure ) to the body of the adapter, not the position ring.

If this doesn't work,You can contact SonyStyle's Technical Suport.

Let me know if this is any help.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 9:54 PM   #3

Hi Muddyfox,
I too have the same problem with the adapter. It will not budge. I had originally assumed that it is all one piece, but had the same problem with lining it up. I guess this may well be a defect with many of these adapters, because I highly doubt it is just yours and mine that are acting up.
I see that there is not even a contact email address anywhere on the Sonystyle.ca website, so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow.
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 10:49 PM   #4

Sorry to hear that. Sonystyle has a chat room with their tech people.

Try their FAQ link, and look for Live help.

Please lets us know how you resolve the problem.

Thank you,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 1:47 AM   #5

camperbc wrote:
Quote:
Hi Muddyfox,
I too have the same problem with the adapter. It will not budge. I had originally assumed that it is all one piece, but had the same problem with lining it up. I guess this may well be a defect with many of these adapters, because I highly doubt it is just yours and mine that are acting up.
I see that there is not even a contact email address anywhere on the Sonystyle.ca website, so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow.
This is exactly what is happening. The adapter feels as if it is all one piece, eventhough I can tell by visual inspection that it should be able to move.

Please follow up on this thread if you find a solution. Last night I came veeeery close to taking a screwdriver to it (or something even more evasive ) but I'm gonna give it a few days grace period, maybe you guys can help me sort this out peacefully. :G
Old May 2, 2007, 1:55 AM   #6

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Hello MuddyFox,

Great news, Congratulations on your H9. You will be very happy.
Yeah, this thing rocks! :love:

Quote:
My 'position ring' as you call it, moves freely but with tight clicking.

If this doesn't work,You can contact SonyStyle's Technical Suport.
Upon inspection, I can tell that it has a "clicking" mechanism but it just refuses to move. I've tried contacting my Sony center in Croatia, but (not at all surprisingly) to no avail... they just sell the stuff, no actual support of any sort... I couldn't get a half-decent answer on, well, anything....
So I'm basically counting on this forum (or google) to sort this out, otherwise I'll be forced to get physical with the wretched thing :roll:

Tnx for your input!

Old May 2, 2007, 2:00 AM   #7

muddyfox wrote:
Quote:
Last night I came veeeery close to taking a screwdriver to it (or something even more evasive )
LOL, I meant invasive.. :?

I was all geared up and ready to do some :|in the sun, but this is really annoying...
Starting to ramble here...sorry about that... :-)
Old May 2, 2007, 2:31 AM   #8

Hi again Muddy,
I just got an email back from Sony Canada, and they said I should call Sonystyle.ca where I bought it from, and that they will likely send me a new adapter. I will call them tomorrow and report back with my findings. In the meantime, you can still use the adapter and hood the way it is; you just have to loosen the threads off a bit to line things up properly.
Old May 2, 2007, 2:31 AM   #9

Hi again Muddy,
I just got an email back from Sony Canada, and they said I should call Sonystyle.ca where I bought it from, and that they will likely send me a new adapter. I will call them tomorrow and report back with my findings. In the meantime, you can still use the adapter and hood the way it is; you just have to loosen the threads off a bit to line things up properly.
Old May 2, 2007, 2:34 AM   #10

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Sonystyle has a chat room with their tech people.
Let me just follow up on this... I've just finished chatting with their techie. He seems to think it is a manufacturing defect and that I should contact the Customer relations and have it replaced.
Somehow I don't see this happening, with the level of competence on display at my local Sony store.
Can this thing be ordered separately somehow, in case I crack this one trying to get it to move?