Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 2, 2007, 7:32 AM   #1

Hello All,

Here are a few solutions that I found work with my H9.

Three posts will follow, 1) Lens Cap 2) Lens Hood 3) Shooting from ground level.

1) Lens Cap. The Lens cap does pop off when you turn on the camera. This is Sony's low end of their design engineering.

Here is my solution. I had two pieces of Velcro tape ( sticky back ).

I placed one on the front of my lens cap (#1). The other I stapled ( once I decided the camera was a keeper ) to my left side neck strap (#2).

The lens cap still pops of but it doesn't go anywhere. I just stick it to my strap.

I keep it there as I have my 74mm UV on my adapter. It is always handy and out of the way.

Hope you find this tip useful.

Here is an image shot with my H9 in a 3 way mirror:

Nicholas
Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 7:36 AM   #2

2) Lens Hood Cover:

Just cut and sewed a men's sock. I used a thick cotton sock. I will make one from those polyester type socks to limit lint from the cotton.

It offers my lens and UV filter some protection. I do keep my hood on when not using the camera, to be ready to shoot. I just pull off the sock and put it in my pocket. Works for me.

Hope you find this useful.

Nicholas
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 7:46 AM   #3

3) Shooting from ground level:

I discovered this while trying to shoot the Peacock at ground level. My fat fingers kept pushing the wrong buttons while holding the camera low.

I then just placed the neck strap around the lens adapter and hung the camera in a sling created with my neck strap. Keep the stap flat against the adapter's sides.

It worked perfectly. I just had to press the shutter.Of course, it wasn't until I got home that thethought came to me 'Gee, I could use the remote to shoot while holding the camera in this sling.' This I have to try.

If you view my H9 Peacock images you will see much improvement in the compositions and vantage point on my subject as I started to use this 'Shooting Sling Shot'during that shoot (I just coined this phrase, ha!). I am sure this will work great for kids at all levels, with Face Detection and Steady Shot. This I must try out.

Three images follow. Pay no mind to the image quality, rush job. Image shot with my H9 with self timer in 3 way mirror.

Hope you find this useful for your photography.

Nicholas
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 7:49 AM   #4

Photo 2 of 3: Shooting Sling Shot:
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 7:52 AM   #5

Photo 3 of 3, Shooting Sling Shot:

Hope you find this useful.

Nicholas

(P.S.... What looks like grey hair must be a Sony Color problem. I will contact Sony Technical Support on this issue and report back to you. )

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2007, 2:09 PM   #6

Hi Nick,

many thanks for the excellent posts about the H9.

The shots of the Woolworths building weree astonishing.

I am almost drooling at the prospect of actually owning one of these beauties, and so far from your reviews it looks as good - or better - than the hype suggested. is that your view?

Have you tried it on a panorama yet?

Also has anyone spotted a comprehensive review on it yet?

Keep up the good wirk!

regards, Steve
steveasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:44 PM   #7

Thank you Steve.

Panorama?? Check my thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=569564&forum_id=28

I will make a 'mid-term' summary opinion as soon as I stop finding ways to test the H9.

One thing for sure: I am going to gain weight with this camera, its reach is fantastic.

I don't haveto get up to shoot ( ha!).

Keep an eye for my VGA test, almost ready for anew thread.

No 'Formal Review' that I know of, but I can't think of anything for them to give the H9 a thumbs down. They will be useful in explaining the functions of the camera and its parameters.

I hope my 'Real life User's review will give you good information on what happens when you pay for it, open the box, and start using the H9.

Nicholas
Old May 5, 2007, 1:56 AM   #8

Hi Nicholas,

thanks for the link to the panorama - another really nice shot. I haven't seen any mention of an in-camera panorama assist function like the canon s3 - is there one?

I think your 'real life' user review is a real gem. I bet that in the absence of aprofessional review,loads of people have bought an h9 on the strength of your results. Sony should at least refund the cost as a reward!

When you have finished, you should post it somewhere in its entirity.

I am nearing decision day - when I stop waiting for the new canon superzoom (S4is?) and go with the sony.

Regards,

Steve
steveasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 7:00 AM   #9

Hi Steve,

No Panorama Stitch mode but you don't need one on the H9. You can use the Grid Lines ( which I have on at all times ).

Just overlap about 1/3 of the image on each shot. and keep the grid lines horizontal on the same level as to shoot your scene from one side to the other.

I use the free panorama program downloaded from http://www.autostitch.net

Free, but they request you give them photo credit when you display you pano.

Thank you for your feedback. I am very glad you are finding my info useful.

I will consolidate the review when I am finished.

Nicholas