Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 2, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1

Could some kind soul with an H-9 post their impression of the movie quality of the H-9? I would be getting it primarily for stills, but need decent video so I don't need to haul a separate camcorder around. The user manual (on Sony's site) seems to say almost nothing about movie mode.

Does movie mode work well in dim-ish light?

Also, can images be viewed easily on a normal (non-HD) TV? How about movies?

Thanks!

itsme213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 3:39 AM   #2

I'd love to help you out but unfortunately the memory stick I'm currently using doesn't allow me to shoot in fine mode... A 2gig Sandisk card is on order but the store cannot give me an estimate when it will arrive.

As for images on nonHD TV (my TV has a weird HD connector so I cannot use Sony HD cord), it works fine... just make sure you set the correct video output type on your camera.

muddyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 4:03 AM   #3

Muddy,
I was able to get two brand new 4GB Sony cards on Ebay for $39US each, delivered! They are sold in our stores for over $100 each. I also picked up 2 more Sony battery packs for a total of $50, and a Sony case for $10.
Now I have plenty of memory and battery power for our trip to Africa!
Long live Ebay!
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 5:11 AM   #4

camperbc wrote:
Quote:
Long live Ebay!
Yes, if you live stateside... no such luxury over here...

However, I did manage to get a 2gig Sandisk ordered from a local electronics store for cca 65USD... this is good news, since original Sony ones are sold for 130USD at the Sony dealer...

Which case did you get? I was looking over a LCS-HA case, but didn't really like it...
Now I'm looking for something that can securely hold a H9 with the lens hood attached (with a sock over it, naturally )
Old May 3, 2007, 6:58 AM   #5

Seems to be the usual standard found on digital cameras, so pretty poor but pretty practical at the same time.

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:07 AM   #6

muddyfox wrote:
Quote:
As for images on nonHD TV (my TV has a weird HD connector so I cannot use Sony HD cord), it works fine... just make sure you set the correct video output type on your camera.
Thanks for the help. A few more clarifications please ...

- Can you also display recorded video (any mode) on the TV?

- Can you easily switch between stills & video?

- Is it possible to take stills in the middle of video without interrupting video?

- Can use full 15x zoom for video?

Thanks.

itsme213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:28 AM   #7

itsme213 wrote:
Quote:
muddyfox wrote:
Quote:
Can you also display recorded video (any mode) on the TV?
Naturally... just display it as you would any other picture. Press the button in the middle of the wheel dial on the back of the camera to start the movie.

To add to my previous statement, my TV uses HDMI input (digital) instead of a component input (analog) that you get with the Sony HD cord (VMC-MHC1)...
Hence i use the "SD" video signal output type. :sad:

Old May 3, 2007, 9:46 AM   #8

I see that you have edited your post while I was answering the previous one...

itsme213 wrote:
Quote:
- Can you easily switch between stills & video?
There is no need to switch. You can either be in shooting/recording mode (depending on the position of the mode dial) or viewing mode (accessed by pressing the "play" button) where you can view both pictures and videos without the need for further "switching". This is the way most modern digicams operate and this is no exception.

itsme213 wrote:
Quote:
- Is it possible to take stills in the middle of video without interrupting video?
No. If that's the functionality you need, consider getting a camcorder. Naturally, the quality of camcorder pictures is (at least in my experience) vastly inferior to that of digicams.

itsme213 wrote:
Quote:
- Can use full 15x zoom for video?
Yes, you can use the optical zoom to its full extent while shooting video.