Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 11, 2007, 7:52 AM   #1

Hello All,

Well this is about the real 'nitty-gritty' on what the H9 can do. ( based on my present ( and incomplete ) photographic level of knowledge ).

I have stated that my review is based on exploring the ability of H9 images to print acceptably upto 8x10".

My test confirms this asertion for me.

My Conclusion:

The H9 is no R-1, and I know very well the R-1's capabilities, one of the best Image Quality cameras ever produced, IMHO.

Just as surely, the R-1 is no H-9.

If I was forced to use only one of these cameras, it would be the H9, without hesitation.

This test involves landscape shots with my friend, also aphotographer, posed in each shot.

It includes 12 images of 6 different shots.

The first image of each shot is the original straightout of the camera, no PP,no crop, Nothing.

The second image of each shot ( letter 'c' in file name ) is my final processed version of the image, brought to my level of acceptability ( which may not be your level ).

My PP included Noise reduction with Neat Image, Levels, Shadow/highlight, Unsharp Mask, all in Photoshop Elements 4.

You will see a great deal in these images.

I ask you to do one thing while looking at these photos:

View eachimage at the 'Large' size first.

As Large, the image you will see on your Monitor/LCD represents what I would find acceptable on a print upto 8x10: that is acceptable to me, not necessarily to each of you.

You will see clearly how Sony has handled their small sensor to allow the public to view images on their HD TV's. You will see what the Bionz processor does to images. You will see how the lens transmitts light. Hopefully you will see alot.

Once you view the images close-up, please return to the Large size image and know the following:

Each image was shot hand held at the spur of the moment. Without Steady Shot I would not have captured 'acceptable to me' images.

Each image is a captured moment in very high contrast ligthing, with my built-in flash.

Here is the link to my H9 Image Quality Test:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/2831579

Conclusion details:

For my purposes, the H9 is the best Overall camera I have ever owned.

I am willing to accept whatever compromises Sony has made to make it possible for me to carrya very light, fast operating, precise &faultless Auto Focus, excellent exposure under varying conditions, good noise performance, a reach from 31 mm to 435 mm, plus a usable 75x zoom, fantastic macro capability, face detection that works well,tilt LCD, sldeshows, extremely fast image review, historgram, camera called the DSC-H9.

The Sony H9 has earned my 'Real Life User's'"100% Worth the Money" rating.

The H9 will not become obsolete as fast as other cameras due to the fact the H9 delivers just about all you need in a camera for years to come, at this point in time.

I do hope you enjoyed my Real Life User's H9 Review.

I have several other facets of the camera to test or have tested already. But as far as purposes of thisreview is concerned, whatever else I find that might be a negative would not change my above conclusion for me.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 8:13 AM   #2

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:

I can wholeheartedly second this... This camera has given me all the bells and whistles that I could ever hope for, excellent image quality (at least good enough for me to call it excellent :lol: ), great image stabilization, fancy LCD screen and all that for a very acceptable price.

Like I said before, money very well spent. Thumbs up for Sony on this one

muddyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 7:37 PM   #3

Hi Nick,

thanks for the excellent review so far. I say so far in the hope that you continue on with ituntil you've found and described every nook and cranny of this camera!

I've been ready to upgrade for a while now, andthought I waswaiting for the Canon S3is successor. Well the S5is has now been announced, and at least spec-wise it is nothing to be thrilled about in comparison to the H5. The big screen, marvellous zoom range, included remote and your superb review have convinced me to go for the Sony.

Hopefully when I get it I can take some pics that will do it justice!

Thanks again Nick, and keep snapping!

regards,

Steve

steveasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:52 AM   #4

Hi Nick

Happy that you love the H9, there are now hundreds of H9 images posted on STF at dpreview, some people have returned their camera for various reasons including dodgyimage quality and othersno improvement over the H5 in image quality, most howeverappear the same as yourself and are more than happy with their puchase.

As for myself after examiningthese H9images am pretty sure the image quality is about equal to the H1,H2 and H5, the biggest improvement being the variable use of the LCD for low shots.

As far as I know you never mentioned what camera you were using before the H9, I am pretty sure it was not one of the H series, the reason I won't be upgrading to an H9 from my H5is is that darn 74mm thread which no 3rd partyfilters or step rings will fit, even as I am sure Pemeral will eventuallycome out with at leastastep-up and step-down ring, I would have to ditch my substansialinvestment in 58mm filters including 2 neutral density, 3 close-up,and 2 polarizer, on top of this as well as having to repurchase these filters at the larger size (read expensive), I would also need a new ring for my Cokin systemnot to mention replacing my 1.7x teleconverter.

So to summerise if someone just wants a new camera and does not have 58mmfilters and lens from a previous Sony 707,717,828, H1,H2 or H5 it is a good upgrade, mind you seeing the H2 beingrunout at Circuit Cityin the U.S.for $165 with voucher has got to be the greatest deal for this quality cameraI have ever heard of.

my 2 cents
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 9:58 AM   #5

Hi All,

Thanks Muddyfox.

Steve, just added my Tele Lens Test.

Wirraway,

If I may suggest, your thinking is prohibiting you from using the vast benefits of the H9's Bionz Processor, IMHO.

Did you see my overhead airplane test? If it can do this it can capture a child running accross the room.

I am sure when you had your first bike with training wheels, you did not let it stop you from upgrading to a big kid's bike.

Why let your 58mm collection stop you from enjoying the H9. I have not only 58 mm but 62mm filters,etc. for my R1,my stated prior camera to my H9.

You can rest assured with one vital fact I have confirmed. Once you buy the H9 you won't care what comes out next. The H9 can handle almost anything, as I has discovered in my 'Real Life User's Review. I won't need anything else. Digital via the H9 has finally arrived to such a level.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old May 12, 2007, 2:57 PM   #6

Well Nick lets agree to disagree, wait for the review on dpreview I will be surprised if the H9 gets a "Highly Recommended" more of chance of "Recommended" only. I have seen tomany pics from the previous H series that are better or equal to the H9, there is definate proof of smearing in a lot of H9 images, this may be able to be fixed or it could be only some cameras from the first batch.

Even AAK admits there are issues, but for the average Joe the pics are fine which they are for a camera of this price, to me image quality is what it is all about and I can see no improvement over the H5 in this regard, the main thing is that you yourself are happy with the camera.

My favorite camera is still my F707 with the fast Vario-Sonnar lens.

F707 Pic:

Attached Images

Old May 12, 2007, 4:35 PM   #7

Have to agree that the image quality from the H9 seems to be questionable. Best to wait for a qualified review here at Steves Digicams and DPReview.

I have seen some really nasty H9 images with pronounced problems, including smearing. Something does appear to be wrong here, but maybe only on some cameras.

Perhaps Sony will offer a firmware update that will address and fix these problems (or maybe they already have, silently, on newly shipped cameras).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:14 PM   #8

Hello Wirraway and AmaingThailand,

If you are looking for top quality Image Quality, you should go with the R-1 or a DSLR ( not all makes ).

May I repeat my conclusion of my H9 Real Life User's review:

Conclusion details:

For my purposes, the H9 is the best Overall camera I have ever owned.

I am willing to accept whatever compromises Sony has made to make it possible for me to carrya very light, fast operating, precise &faultless Auto Focus, excellent exposure under varying conditions, good noise performance, a reach from 31 mm to 435 mm, plus a usable 75x zoom, fantastic macro capability, face detection that works well,tilt LCD, sldeshows, extremely fast image review, historgram, camera called the DSC-H9.

Thank you for the exchange of opinions.

Nicholas

Old May 14, 2007, 11:54 AM   #9

Here you go Nick the first full review I've seen on the DSC-H9, interested in your comments: http://www.neocamera.com/review_sony_h9_more.html

Old May 14, 2007, 5:50 PM   #10

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
Here you go Nick the first full review I've seen on the DSC-H9, interested in your comments: http://www.neocamera.com/review_sony_h9_more.html

Wow from the site it states: the H9 is not an obvious upgrade path for H5 owners, I guess I have to run my own test.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote