Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 11, 2007, 7:31 PM   #1

Some people dissatisfied with the H9 over at Dpreview have decided to go on a "bash the H9 and Sony" crusade over at amazon.com , by basically complaining about the camera, the bokeh, the batteries, the filter size, the memory, the lens quality, the weight, the buttons, the menus etc etc

If anyone actually owns the camera and is pleased with it then to balance the views out, you may like to not only post a review yourself but also post an answer to some of the criticisms.

However please don't go overboard, just post an honest review with honest marks.

It would be a shame to let a small minority of those who are unhappy with the camera "fix" the rating and reviews at such a large site as Amazon.

While the camera does seem to have issues many people are having no problems at all and hopefully they will feel the need to respond.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 8:12 PM   #2

I have looked at owner's raiting on DPReviwew. This raiting is high for a H9.
I'm puzzled why do you think STF members went out on a bashing spree using such a non-reputable Amazon?
I do not have H9 and should of stay away of this hot potato, but I want to balance your post. STF members are not so biased and usually keep their passions inside STF.

s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 8:24 PM   #3

The vast majority of the public who buy cameras read reviews not on dedicated sites such as dpreview or steves digicams but on consumer sites such as amazon, or even (god help them) cnet !

We may know the H9 has good points and bad points and we may know its only a fraction of the total that have problems, but when people post mini essays finding fault with the camera, that can soon give the public ideas..

Not sure why you refer to reviews on dpreview, I am talking about the reviews on amazon..?

Five user reviews, two are typical gushing "member of the public excited at new camera" reviews giving 5 stars, one is two stars, with the headline "sony lies" and a list of the cameras perceived faults over 15 paragraphs... and two further reviews giving it one star, each again with attention grabbing titles such as "Sony lied" and ".. severe issues.."

Now perhaps you never dignify Amazon with a visit, but Joe Public does and Joe Public might just read those attention grabbing titles and believe them.

Oh and the guy posting about the "faults" was boasting in the Sony Talk forum about doing so..

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4

I personally don't like the dpreviewSony talk forum, What I do to test if the camera is going to work for me is I buy and try it out if I am unsatisfied with it I take it back. I have yet to see a bad photo from my H5 or F828 that I didn't cause. I still have not seen any of the purple issues I keep hearing about.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 3:17 PM   #5

The majority of the H9 users on dpreview like the H9, and users such as AAK ,who actually wrote a white peper that is widely referenced on the H series cameras, and whose opinion I place value in,has given this camera positve reviews. His pictures are awesome.

Sure it's not perfect, but a few posters there have gone on an absolute foaming rant because the camera does not have a fine JPEG setting. Cripes.... if that is the by all end all for them...they need to return the camera and get one that does. But don't slam the camera as compl;ete trash and write scathing reviews on Amazon because it is short one feature. And don't go on an anti SONY rant because they can't do firmware updates in a week!!!

I have an H9 and I am quite pleased with it. Look at Nick's photos on this forum. He is poster on this forum whose opnions and comments I take notice of, and I think he presents good examples of what *good pictures* the H9 can take. His comments carry a lot more weight with me than a scathing, idioticrant on amazon.com.

That poster on Amazon is being very unfair to the H9 and Sony and slashing and dicing the H9 on Amazon.com does nothing but discourage people (like me )who really like the camera from buying it. It's a lose-lose scenario ror everyone that makes the poster look like a kook and it feeds *too* negative info to people who only know to look at amazon comments.

-- Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 4:17 PM   #6

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
The majority of the H9 users on dpreview like the H9, and users such as AAK ,who actually wrote a white peper that is widely referenced on the H series cameras, and whose opinion I place value in,has given this camera positve reviews. His pictures are awesome.

Sure it's not perfect, but a few posters there have gone on an absolute foaming rant because the camera does not have a fine JPEG setting. Cripes.... if that is the by all end all for them...they need to return the camera and get one that does. But don't slam the camera as compl;ete trash and write scathing reviews on Amazon because it is short one feature. And don't go on an anti SONY rant because they can't do firmware updates in a week!!!

I have an H9 and I am quite pleased with it. Look at Nick's photos on this forum. He is poster on this forum whose opnions and comments I take notice of, and I think he presents good examples of what *good pictures* the H9 can take. His comments carry a lot more weight with me than a scathing, idioticrant on amazon.com.

That poster on Amazon is being very unfair to the H9 and Sony and slashing and dicing the H9 on Amazon.com does nothing but discourage people (like me )who really like the camera from buying it. It's a lose-lose scenario ror everyone that makes the poster look like a kook and it feeds *too* negative info to people who only know to look at amazon comments.

-- Mercury
I 2nd this
Old May 15, 2007, 4:18 PM   #7

I have been reading some of the H9 posts over at dpreview and there was one poster who called on everyone to go over to amazon and post negative reviews about it. AAK, by the way, called for calm and to not do that, but apparantly some did anyway.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 4:29 PM   #8

I just got done reading over there what a mess.
Old May 16, 2007, 7:47 AM   #9

Yeah, quite a frenzy being whipped up over image quality and the missing 'fine' setting. LOL

Guess they should have waited for the professional reviews.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:29 AM   #10

I would bet alot of the poor image quality is operator error.