Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 15, 2007, 9:38 AM   #21

HiPicsgalore, don't worry about the tension, you asked a straight question and was entitled to a straight reply, sure any of the Hx series camera are compentent using auto, and it is also true that more can be accomplished usingshutter and aperature priority, the P setting is also auto and here you can adjust the flash settings, read your manual and then refer to it as needed, you will be amazed how easy it is.

Camperbc,you are right on the money with your H7, I've seen some very nice images posted on dpreview, and who knows, might not have the same image qualityissues as is being discussedhere and on other digital camera sites.

Nick said....... knowing that the H9 will not become obsolete in the next 4 or 5 years, IMHO, based on the fact that the H9 can do practically whatever you will need to do with a camera......

Would love to borrow your crystal ball to see in the future :-)

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 9:58 AM   #22

Hi Wirraway,

Don't need a crystal ball.

I am looking at my H9 and after my first 17 days of using it, I have a good idea of what it can do and can not do.

That is why I stated:

"..knowing that the H9 will not become obsolete in the next 4 or 5 years, IMHO, based on the fact that the H9 can do practically whatever you will need to do with a camera"

I did not base my statement on a future guess but on what I now know about what the H9 can do today, and for the next 4 or 5 years.

Thanks for the continuing exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 10:43 AM   #23

I don't know about that one Nick look how fast they replaced the H2 and H5 most places are not even selling these anymore and if they do its dirt cheap to clear them out $230 is the cheapest so far.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 1:25 PM   #24

Cyberf828,

An old Nikon 950 (still takes good pics) and an H5 (auto mode). I suppose if I use H5 in auto then the H9 will be the same or better for my IQ acceptance! I purposely left off this info when asking about the H9 auto mode.

I do appreciate your replies and Nick and all the others.I will consider using for a few weeks and take advantage of return policy if and when I decide to upgrade to H9. I had forgotten about that feature of returning so thanks.

picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 1:44 PM   #25

THank you!

I wish I could try H9 before to buy it.. V1 has set the standard for me.. after 3 years use I still discover small new things that can improve image quality.. I am pushing it's limits though.

So I can agree about what Nick has said - 4 to 5 years with a normal use. I am not a normal user.. I w'd say I am a power user.. There is no day without pictures.. wherever I go I have it with me. I love a photography so much! It has taught me to see.

Waiting for Steve's review.

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 2:28 PM   #26

I also carry a camera or twoeverywhere I go you never know when a shot will appear.
Old May 15, 2007, 2:30 PM   #27

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:
THank you!

I wish I could try H9 before to buy it.. V1 has set the standard for me.. after 3 years use I still discover small new things that can improve image quality.. I am pushing it's limits though.

So I can agree about what Nick has said - 4 to 5 years with a normal use. I am not a normal user.. I w'd say I am a power user.. There is no day without pictures.. wherever I go I have it with me. I love a photography so much! It has taught me to see.

Waiting for Steve's review.

They do not have this policy for returns where you live? Looking at your site the camera you have takes awesome photos.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:06 PM   #28

Thanks Cyberf828!

V1 has been a perfect compact digicam for me for 3 years almost (SINCE 23 june 2004).. I have never seen ugly pics taken with it.. also Auto mode, that I reccomend to my hubby, when he borrows it in a day without a bright sunshine.. If it is sunny midday, I set for him P mode, with EV set to -0,3 (works always). For indoors he uses Auto mode + Flash. I have very steady hands, him not. So you can say V1 is getting nice pics always. With a little help of an expert.

I have been eager to get to know more about H9, but now I am starting to thing, that my initial idea to get tje dSLR has to be reconsidered. Since I can't see the H9 as a next step in my own improvement. I hate to spend time on PC corecting pics.. This is why I became a pro user of my camera. They mostly are right out of cam. or a slight and FAST postprocessing..

Cyberf828! You already have great compact cameras.. don't you consider a dSLR?
Old May 16, 2007, 2:15 PM   #29

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:

Cyberf828! You already have great compact cameras.. don't you consider a dSLR?
I can't see spending the money on one when the ones I have take great photos ( least to me i think they are great ) I might one day but for now I will keep what I got its all in what works for you. Your camera takes great photos why would you think you need to replace it? I replace mine out of boredom and I know where to get them very cheap. I paid $250 US for a H5 and 2 gig card. I know I will find a H9 cheap as well I just have to be patient.

Old May 17, 2007, 3:39 AM   #30

I do agree for a quality of pics.. but I'd love to have a stronger zoom on tele end.. longer battery life is not an issue anymore - I have them 2; and also writing speed to a MS is slow for my V1. Maybe I ll search for tele - wide lenses.. to get more toys to play. On e-bay should be available.

Yeah.. dSLR requires a lot of money.. well.. here, in EU, it means even more money. but i wouldn't mind to own one though.

eh.. in middle June I am going to Latvia to visit my family. My oldest daughter has got a Canon 400D recently from her boyfriend. I hope she'll let me play a bit. So now I am going to read Canon forums to understand the basics for a quick learning. I love to play!