Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 17, 2007, 11:36 AM   #31

I am going to look at different lenses this weekend I live near a Sony outlet store so I get to try before you buy there they always have most things setup to demo.DigitalGal sounds like its going to be fun playing with another camera. :G
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 1:32 PM   #32

You are lucky to have a sony store close..

I love sony since I had a digi camcorder before 4 years.. of which I have used only a still shot option after all.. making only check up videos in school events for kids.

So today I went to check a normal electronics shop close to my home. They had all the models I wanted to see, but they are without battery and locked. You can't play with options and you can't get the right feel in hand. H9 is really very light (feels lighter than my V1).. a tilt up LCD is terrific.. I just opened it and felt it can be my thing.. because when I too the next camera.. that was H5, my fingers went to LCD automaticaly.. they both feel quite OK in hand. Then I tried all that they had in row - Sony Alpha ( I checked the lens mounted - it is really moving.. as I have read here, in forums. No other cams had the same).

Then Canon 400D and 30D (this was the only one I didn't like in hand, because the grip is too low for my finger, - my nail was stuffed into a rubber of it. And I don't have long nails at all.. For me it is disturbing. And I have big hands with long fingers..

I liked both Pentax cameras K110 and K10.. the feeling and how lens works. Then Nikon D80 and D200.. they are big and heavy.. and look really pro.. and then Olympus E330, they didn't have other models today. A small and light and comfortable dSLR.

My longterm target is to get a dSLR.. as soon as I'll be able to, - time and money issues.

Well.. I still hope to get to try H9.. maybe I'll find a place where they have it with a battery charged, where you can make some test shoots. I don't beliewve that I ll be able to get it for outdoors trial. I badly want a new camera.
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:53 PM   #33

The Sony outlet store is great get to play with all the toys they have there, All the batteries are charged all the lenses are there for you to try before you buy them its really neat I have never been to s store that allows that. I know how you feel about the new camera urge I get this all the time. I was really hunting for a H2 till the H5 fell into my lap that was luck now I am having a blast taking pics of everything. I am taking photos of a puppy training class Saturday so I will see how well this does in low light. :|
Old May 18, 2007, 2:13 AM   #34

What a great opportunity! Let us to know what do you think.. after.
Old May 20, 2007, 11:46 AM   #35

DigitalGal, I am sure that one day you will get a DSLR, but the H5 has been great fun for me. The only niggle has been the AA batteries and terribly long flash recharge time. I try not to use flash but lighting has to be pretty good to get reasonable pictures (compared to outdoor). The lithium ion batteries of the H7 and H9 would be a great improvement for me. I now have a Nikon D40 (felt much nicer than the 400D) and am also delighted with it. Pictures straight out of the camera are excellent, and I'm happy with ISO1600 sensitivity (better than the H5 ISO400). It cost £320 with kit lens in US (on holiday) although I wasted all the savings and more on a Sigma 10-20 mm lens (only 15 mm for 35mm film equivalence)! I don't want to get the same reach as the H5 plus TC, because I still like using the H5, but will probably succumb to "lens lust" rather than just trying to improve my limited photographic skills.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 7:58 AM   #36

1eyedeer
Well.. I am not concerned too much about dSLR.. I know.. sooner or later.. And I still have some more tools to play with.. Today I have got developed and printed my first photos with an old Olympus OM10.. I have 3 lenses to play with.. this roll was only with 2 - wide angle and a 50mm.. I'm eager to see what actually I got.. because I don't understand anything in SLR film cameras and lenses.. A kind of a blind shooting for me.

About H5.. I dont like AA batteries at all.. I am always looking for a camera without these.

I still think that an H9 would be a great upgrade for me.. or if the price is good, I might go into dSLR with Olympus E-510 or Sony Alpha.. if I can get them with 2 kit lenses. This is a period of clearing out my mind to understand what exactly I need to make me happy.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:15 AM   #37

I am not a big fan of AAs myself but I have had the camera I think for 3 weeks and I fully drained the battery put them in a flashlight until it quit and did a recharge and I still have a 1/4 battery left but I am not using the flash alot. It doesnt seem that bad so far I have maybe 200 pics from it. But I have a 3 day work week this week and 5 days off due to the holiday so I plan on two days of it with camera in hand. I am going to try some sunrise pics.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:02 AM   #38

I had the same problem with the batteries in the H5, bought 4 Sanyo Eneloop AAand the batteries last for weeks.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 7:59 AM   #39

Thanks for the info on the other AAs, Nothing like taking pics and noticing your battery level dropping fast.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:21 AM   #40

Nick, even if the Sony H9 was the best camera in the world, Sony would replace it with the H12 or the H15 within 3 years, because it would be out of date compared to a Canon or Panasonic, etc. I've worked for several scientific instrument companies during my career, and they always have a "roadmap" of products covering up to 10 years. Sony will already have agreed the specifications of the H7 and H9 replacements and may even have working protoypes of the new cameras, with whatever features, HD Video, more in camera pp, higher MP, less noise, etc,. Its nothing to do with excellence, its to do with marketing. No company can afford to be suddenly caught with an "obsolete" product, especially a successful one, and no replacement in the wings. Market share and loss of revenue are too important, unless there is some sort of after market, like film for Kodak with film cameras.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote