Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 13, 2007, 9:09 PM   #1

I already poted this question on the General Q&A so I hope this is okay to post here also.

Anyone know if it would okay to use the H9 in auto mode only for good pictures? I know the reviews still need to be done but just wondering if any of the experienced camera buffs would know aleady.

Thank you.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 5:53 AM   #2

Yeah.. this is interesting also for me. I am a sony user (DSC-V1).. Auto pics are great always, except a bright sunshine in midday (they are overexposed - washed colors)..

Since I am pointing to get H9, I'd love to know too. Can someone of H9 owners post some pics taken in auto moode in different light conditions?

Thank you in advance!
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 7:17 AM   #3

If you are only shooting in Auto mode, you do not need the H9.

Why spend the money for such advanced technology when you are not going to use it?

The H9 has actually changed the concept of 'Auto' Mode'.

Now Auto mode has a companion mode: Face Detection, which works very well.

Using Face Detection with Flash onpeopleof color requires a reduced Flash compensation level. And for all subjects of any color it also requires the face to fill more than 50% of one of the 9 boxes formed by the Grid Line option. If the face is smaller than +- 50% of one of the Grid Line boxes the camera does not detect the face. Zoom in a bit to make the face detectable and focus & exposure is great.

I have shot more than 1500 images with my H9 on Auto, Portrait, A,S, etc. and only about 10 images had incorrect exposure or focus. Fantastic, IMHO.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:02 AM   #4

Nicholas, thanks for your reply. I would want the 15X zoom and lens
Sony offers.

What cameras would you recommend for that? Thanks very much.

I have seen most of your pictures as posted and are great. I do enjoy your postings.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 9:15 AM   #5

Hi Picsgalore

Glad you find my posts interesting.

A camera is a personal decision.

In your case, knowing that the H9 will not become obsolete in the next 4 or 5 years, IMHO, based on the fact that the H9 can do practically whatever you will need to do with a camera, if it is in your budget, and you agree with my stated compromises in my Real Life User's Review Conclusion thread, I would get the H9 if I were you.

This camera will let your knowledge of photography grow and grow.

And once you become an Advanced Photog , the H9 will still be able to serve you.

All IMHO. ( I do not recommend the H7, the H9 is far more versatile for my style of shooting).

Hope this answers your question.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6

Nicholas says: "I do not recommend the H7..."

Oh come on now Nicholas!
I have stayed quiet this long, but for you to come right out and say that you absolutely adore the H-9, but do not recommend the H7, (virtually the same camera) that's a bit hard to swallow. Aside from the ability to shoot (ugly green) photos in very low light, which almost no half decent photographer would fathom doing anyway, about the only advantage of the H9 over the H7 is the (bit larger) tilting LCD. Aside from that, the two cameras are virtually identical. Let's be realistic here Nicholas; if one doesn't care about the tilting LCD, why would they pay more for the H9, when the H7 is quite capable of taking the same quality picture?
Good grief, I certainly would not have expected that kind of unsubstantiated bias from you.

A very happy H7 owner!
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 1:50 PM   #7

What a great discussion!

According to what I have read I'd prefer H9.. exactly because it has a tilting LCD and a nightshot option - fitting better my needs.

To Camperbc - I use a nightshot quite often.. I ll let you see some pictures when I ll upload them to Flickr. They aren't 'ugly green' at all.. Infrared sensibility is of a great help and I use it. The reason is that I don't like to use a flash indoors.. and my V1 is not very capable (or it's just me) to get decent pics in low light situations.. unless it is not outdoors (for some reason it works better with no light sources being close).

So, I think, you both are happy users of your new cameras.

I am looking forward to join the club and to see more photos from you. No more reviews - an action!

Well.. here is one example of nightshot option used..
[line][line]Others, - when I ll upload some more to Flickr..
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:09 PM   #8

Did anybody actually answer the original question? As in a yes or no. Is the H9 any good for Full Auto shots. No post processing. I also had hoped for an answer to picsgalore's question and do not think I have seen it so far.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:21 PM   #9

Hi camperbc,

I think you took Nick's comments to mean rather more than was intended. He simply said that he didn't recommend the H7, and qualified that by explaining that the H9 suited his style. From the many posts we've seen from Nick lately, it's clear that the large articulated LCD allows a style that simply wouldn't be possible with the H7. It would be nice to see some pics from your H7 as a comparison to prove your point though...:-)

And DigitalGal, I liked that nightshot, very interesting - more please!

Steve
steveasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 4:22 PM   #10

Steve,
I would be happy to post some of my photos, but as it seems everyone on here believes their H9 to be far superior to my lowly H7, I am certain that it will not change your opinions one bit. It's hard for me to understand though, how anyone can so strongly think that a better photo can be made by one over the other. I suggest a little research, and you will soon discover they have the same inards (other than mentioned above)
To Digitalgal, I too am able to take great indoor shots without a flash; in fact I have not been using the flash at all.
I am young enough that I am still quite capable of getting on my knees once in a while to get a low shot, without having to tilt an LCD up.
This section of the forum has clearly become a haven strictly for H9 users, and yes, I suppose I can understand your believing it is a better camera than someone else has.
To each his/her own, I guess, but I have always found it interesting how people like to think their toys are better than the next person's.
All I know is what I have learned from researching both cameras... they are both capable of the same quality photos.
Oh well, I know when I have overstayed my welcome.
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote