Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 16, 2007, 6:52 AM   #11

Thanks for the info. I can't comment really on it since I don't have the H9 but I will have to check it out my curiosity is getting the better of me. So far my H5 has taken great photos the only ones that were bad was due to operator error.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 3:54 AM   #12

Hi Buda

I would not count ona firmware update for the option of Fine & Standard as the new T100 and latest W series don't have the Fine & Standard either, this appears to be the way Sony want it on their newCybershot camera's.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 2:38 PM   #13

I haven't seen this posted here yet, so here it is, the first professional reivew of the H9, a few more to come I'm sure, but again, same story as all the other reviews.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyH9/

Video summary of the review

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...o_review.shtml

buda

buda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 3:50 PM   #14

There is some serious infighting and name calling going on in one of the H9 bashing threads over at Dpreview.com

Seven pages and 127 messages so far !

I just wish the three main review sites (dpreview, steves-digicams and dcresource) would review the H9, put a bullet in it for its sometimes terrible image problems and we could all wait with baited breath for the sucessor next year which will no doubt try to stuff even more pixels into a tiny sensor and promise ISO6400 ...
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:14 PM   #15

n
Quote:

And also the review from neocamera, is not impressive. I am hearing everybody saying about PF and CA , and also I see these things in their published photos. These PF anCA are not distinctly availalbe in brands( I am not sure Sony is compromosing with these things for Getting Zoom and other things)

http://www.neocamera.com/review_sony_h9_more.html

Please let me know, is it a good buy, after reading these above reviews. I am not able to decide and also Cannon S5 IS is released. I know, I cant compare H9 with S% , but still....
I would not pay attention to NEOCAMERA rewiews.
If you look at pros and cons of my beloved R1 they posted, you will find something like this:
Pros: Low noise below ISO 400
Cons: High noise above ISO 200

WOW

Are they nuts to feed me with such a ...?
Once I have found that, I have lost respect to their scores. They are good for basic educational topics only.
Cheers
Simon G
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 10:08 PM   #16

CameraLabs review???

They write in their Conclusion, comparing the Sony H9 to the Panasonic DMC-FZ8:

"The FX8 simply represents subperb value and should be seriously considered by anyone in the market for a super zoom. Check out our full review coming soon"

They did not yet complete their DMC-FZ8 review yet but state it should be "seriously considered by anyone in the market for a super zoom".

This is a profoundly biased position from which to perform acamera review.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 2:25 PM   #17

I'm with you Sintares, the sooner steve's, dcresource and DPReview review this camera the better, also been following the posts on DPReview and it makes interesting reading, from what I've seen it appears the H9 is great for Macro's and falls over with water color and smudging in landscapes,looking forwardto those reviews.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:28 AM   #18

I have been reading this forum every day for the last week or so while I anxiously awaited the arrival of my H9. Thanks Nick for all your hard work in posting your experiences and sample pics.

I had a V3 which my daughter dropped and it broke.

I am from South Africa and the H9 will only be available here in June. My father-in-law was over inthe USlast weekso I had him buy one there and bring it home for me.

I was very anxious to see whether I would experience any of the issues currently being debated (CA, loss of detail due to compression, etc)

So the first thing I did when I unpacked it was to go outside and shoot a couple of shots with high contrast edges (trees with bright sky in the background). To my disappointment the purple fringing is there, and it is quite noticeable (compared with similar shots taken with my V3).

The loss of detail is also very noticeable when I compare to shots taken with my old V3, or even my dad's Sony DSC W5 for that matter. I can see the loss of detail when zooming in to a persons face for example. I only ever used the fine setting for jpeg compression on my V3, so I wouldn't know how the H9 shots compare to the standard compression setting on the V3.

I am not a professional photographer, but I do consider myself to fit into the "enthusiast" bracket at which this model is aimed.

So here I sit with a camera which I cannot return. With all the features I could wish for, but these annoying image quality problems. The feature list really is great (zoom, steadyshot, face recongnition, etc).

I am really holding thumbs for some sort of firmware upgrade.

Nick, Looking atyour sample photos and reading allyour posts I can only assume that you are one of the lucky ones who landed up with a trouble-free H9. Perhaps there was indeed a bad batch of H9's (or maybe even a "good" batch) and all of us who are complainingare the unlucky ones.

What I do find strangeis thatmine was only purchased on 17 May (from Bestbuy.com in Miami). Mine was one of 3 that they had received the same morning. If there were quality issues, I would have thought they would be isolated to the firstbatch or twoshipped from the factory.

I am holding thumbs for a firmware update from Sony.

bradjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 1:28 PM   #19

Hi Brad

Sorry to hear the problems with your H9, this is where the Americans are very very lucky with their return policy's even if some of them get charged a restocking fee, here in Australia there is no return at all as I believe just about everywhere else in the world, would be nice if we did.
Old May 23, 2007, 5:34 PM   #20

Hello BradJackson,

All of my posted images were straight out of the camera except where noted. Any PP involved Auto Levels and sometimes Focus Magic, a few with neat Image.

No color PP or anything else. There is PF in my images. IMHO, big deal. I captured a moment that iI would not have with another camera.

I don't have any image problems, the images I posted reflect what the camera is capable of. No on should be suprised. I posted the images as they came out of my camera, all of them, no PP unless I indicated so.

My camera is no better than others released.
May I respectfullly suggest you read my Conclusion thread for the H9 once again.

If I were you, I would relax, be glad you have a camera of high capability, and go out and shoot for a couple of weeks.

I predict you will no longer think about missing out on a return policy.

Regards,

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote