Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 16, 2007, 9:49 PM   #1

Hello All,

Found these guys sunning themselves along the lake shoreline.

Never saw this many at one time.

Shot with my Tele-Converter on and used my Built-in Flash in alternate shots. HANDHELD.

Actually I shot the No Flash shots and then went back and shot with the flash on.

Flash was at +2 Flash compensation. And yes, I had about a 3-5 second wait on flash recycle-times. Not bad for full power flashes at such distances.When I saw the results, from my little battery and built-in flash, I could only think 'this camera is unbelevable'.

The first image of my wife (shot at 732mm, I had to keep stepping back to get the shot) , is the scene setter. The turtles are on the log in the background.

Abosultely no PP ( except titles ). Original size, saved as Max Jpeg in PS Elements 4.

Here is the link to my test gallery:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/2859069/1

Looking forward to your comments.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 11:16 AM   #2

Nick, isn't it surprising how much difference a little extra light can make in a photo. A lot of people don't believe that a camera flash can have much effect where the sun is so bright outside! What was your distance from your subject?

Charlie
CB401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 5:29 PM   #3

Hi Charlie,

Yes, fill flash makes a big difference. for the images shown I was about +-20' away as I remember, but with my using the EVF I could have been a bit closer or farther away.

I usually always use flash on people. I wanted to illustrate if the H9 built-in flash is effective. I would say it is very effective. Shootng like this requires a charged second battery in case you run low ( which It did not during this shoot ).

Regards,

Nicholas
Old May 18, 2007, 2:31 AM   #4

Hi Nicholas,

The Photos taken with your H9 really looks great. And in any of your photos, I dont see any PF,CA and also anything which will give us the hint for the bad image quality. Your photos have good image quality and nicely saturated colors.

One things, I noted in your photo is, the difference in the color with flash and without flash. And this was exactly what I was asking you some time back.

Loot at your photos for comparison , Photos 3 and 4 (here Photo 3 looks clear with blueish background of the water , and looks very clean, The wood color is towards more blackish) and Photo 4( Flash on, gives a different color, water color is different, wood color is different, and looks more granular in the background). So people cant make out what is the real color of the actual picture.

You can also comapre Photos 10 and 11. Here also you see the difference in the color of the photos, texture and also color saturations.

I am not sure, any adjustment with the regard to WB, or ISO or anythign need to be done.

Once again, Thanks for all the reviews, tests and Photos. But still one thing lingers in my mind, is that Sony H9 is really a good camera or some people are lucky to get good quality H9, like what you have got. Because, I also tried few shots taken from my friends Camera (H9 got from US Circuit City), and the image quality of the photos taken from that were not as great as comapred to your photos.
nagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 7:27 AM   #5

Hello Nagesh,

I have read your above question ( clarifying your previous one ) and here is my reply:

Both color renditions represent the realityas seen by the Human eye ( no flash images) , and by the sensor ( no flash & flash)under the existing conditions .

Images #3, #10 ( No Flash):

1) The sun was shining toward the back of the turtles and into my camera and my eyes. When viewing the scene you see a very high contrast scene with very strong and dark shadows. The sun in skimming off the water right into your eyes and camera. The strength of the sunlight overcomes the reflected sunlight off objects in the scene, and you see a muted color spectrum, due to the overload of sunlight bouncing toward your eyes and your camera. The H9, in this case, image 3 & 10, has accurately captured the scene as I saw it with my eyes.

Images #4, #11 ( Built-in Flash )

2) When I decided to turn on my flash at its highest level ( +2 flash composition ) I pointed my camera at the same scene and under the same conditons stated in #1 above.

My camera recorded more color information and detail with the flash on than without the flash. Why? I added my light to the scene from a different position of the sunlight, from my built-in flash. When this 'flash' light reflected off the objects in the scene, the flash illuminated the objects, and some of this extra 'flash' illumination of these objects was also reflected back to my camera. This reflected 'flash' light was also'carrying' more color and detail information toward the camera. This reflected flash light was added to the sunlight described in #1 going toward the camera.

While shooting, my eyes still saw only what I saw in images #3 & #10. But when I saw the Review images ( #4 & #11) , I could now see the images with more detail and color. WB was on Auto and isnot the main concern of your question.

3) THE REAL QUESTION NOW IS, 'HOW CAN WE OBTAIN ACCURATE COLOR OF A SUBJECT AS MEASURED AGAINST THE ACTUAL SUBJECT AND NOT THE COLOR WHICH THE HUMAN EYE OR OR A CAMERA SENSOR PERCIEVES?

The answer, IMHO: Off Camera Flash. Off camera Flashwill provide more accurate color ( accurate in relation to the actual subject, not necessarily what you see with your eyes ).

Off Camera flash is NOT reflected back to the camera, it is angled to bounce away from the camera while at the same time illuminating a subject and sending this illumination light back to the camera along with accurate detail and color information. ( The light going toward the camera is not flooded with the flash's light being reflected back into the lens, because the flash's light is bounced away from the lens ).

Can this be accomplished with the H9? Yes it can. In the coming weeks I hope to share with you my set-up of off camera flash, ( which is not activated by other people's flash units ). Keep checking in here at Steves-Digicams for my future thread on Off Camera flash.

I hope you find this helpful in answering your question.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old May 21, 2007, 4:42 PM   #6

Hello Nagesh,

Did you get to read my reply to you?

Nicholas
Old May 22, 2007, 3:48 AM   #7

Hi nicholas,

Sorry for the late response. I was busy with the release activities. I work for Oracle, and it was a 7 day week for me. I usually read the reviews during evening.

I understood what you were trying to say, and you are right. But one thing always have irritated me is, that the color with the flash is not the exact color people want to see. Even though the colors are bright and looks real, people (esp my relatives) make a flying comment the color of the dress looks different altogether, and this irritates me to the core, as I would have taken the photo with lot of interest. I think with Sony H9, the colors looked lot better and almost close to the natural color.

One more question popped up in my mind regarding Sony DSC H9 was, the Purple fringing , and I observed these even in your photos. I didnt observe earlier as , I was seeing only a smaller sized image, and in your Original image, I could see lot of PF. So I worry about this thing a lot. Is there way to remove this PF using any of the cmaeras settings, Or is there a way to remove the PF using Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 (Post Processing, Which I dont want do, as I show the pictures then there). I went through your real time review again, and you didnt seem to mention any of the cons about this camera clearly(sorry I might have missed it also). But the neocamera review says lot of negative about this camera.

I have also taken lot of photos with other cameras, including SLR Cameras (Minolta), and image clarity is awesome, and of course I cant compare that with this. That camera has its own limitations, and so on. So what I am aiming at is, is this camera worth buying or shall I wait for some more time for a better model either from Sony or any other brand.

Once again sorry for the late response, and do look forward for your reply.

Thanks In Advance
Nagesh
nagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:57 AM   #8

Hi Nagesh,

You did miss it. Or maybe you saw it but did not realize it.

I posted my H9 images so YOU CAN REVIEW THEM AND STUDY THEM YOURSELF.

My images were posted straight out of the camera, except where I noted otherwise.

I let my images speak for themselves.

You don't need me to mention there "is possibly a 20% variance from some standard deviation, with a -.7 EV, regarding PF or CA or softness....etc,etc".

You just made statements about the image quality of my H9 images based on my Real Life User's Review.

THIS MAKES ME VERY HAPPY AS I HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN COMMUNICATING THE RESULTS OF MY REVIEW. You just expressed your own opinion of my H9 images. May I suggest you have more usable and valuable information on the H9 from my review than you will ever get from the Camera Labs review.

The color from the H9 is EXCELLENT, simply true to life. Your issues about your camera's color I am sure are a result of your camera or printer or monitor not being properly calibratedto truecolors, or possibly your camera has a poor white balance performance.

You must realize that it is not my intent to tell you to 'buy this camera'.

I started my review by indicating that I am not selling anything.

Camera Labs is clearly 'selling something'. Others have the audacity to ask for donations.

Here I repost my H9 Real Life User's Review conclusion for your review, I highlighted in red to stress the essence of my conclusion:

Conclusion details:

For my purposes, the H9 is the best Overall camera I have ever owned.

I am willing to accept whatever compromises Sony has made to make it possible for me to carrya very light, fast operating, precise &faultless Auto Focus, excellent exposure under varying conditions, good noise performance, a reach from 31 mm to 435 mm, plus a usable 75x zoom, fantastic macro capability, face detection that works well,tilt LCD, sldeshows, extremely fast image review, historgram, camera called the DSC-H9.

The Sony H9 has earned my 'Real Life User's'"100% Worth the Money" rating.

The H9 will not become obsolete as fast as other cameras due to the fact the H9 delivers just about all you need in a camera for years to come, at this point in time.

I hope you find my comments a proper response to your question.

Regards,

Nicholas