Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:11 AM   #1031

Default Sony A-230 DSLR at ISO 1600

Hi there-

I got tired of paying bills and pulled out the Sony A-230 DSLR. Bradley happily posed for me. This was taken at ISO 1600 using 2nd curtain flash from the A-230 DSLR's built in flash unit, at a distance of 20 feet, using my non IS Sigma 18-125mm lens at full zoom, 125mm.

I bet you are scratching your head and wondering what the heck is 2nd curtain flash.
The F stop used was F 5.6 and the shutter speed 1/25 of a second, with the ISO at 1600. In 2nd curtain flash, the camera takes the photo at F 5.6 at 1/25th, and just as the shutter is closing it puts out about a 1/2 power blink of the built-in flash unit to get rid of shadows.

I was very pleased with the resulting photo considering we were at 20 feet and I was hand holding the camera. The super steady shot feature built into the A-230 camera body made my cheap Sigma 18-125 non IS equipped lens (cost $165) instantly have IS!

No point & shoot super zoom could ever produce this image quality at ISO 1600, not even the king of the hill, the Panasonic FZ-28! That is where the DSLR really scores big due to its much larger CMOS imager, that is 15 times larger than the imager even used on the FZ-28!

'Hope you are enjoying a great Holiday Weekend. I attached the A-230 photo for you. BTW Goofas, the Sony A-230 costs less that the Sony F-717 did.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:49 AM   #1032

Was up and about yesterday morning and said self sun will be coming up soon =D and sure enough it was

Enjoy the rest of the holiday
USMCZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1033

USMCZen-

I love the colors in that sunrise.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:59 PM   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
...No point & shoot super zoom could ever produce this image quality at ISO 1600, not even the king of the hill, the Panasonic FZ-28!
Humm, that's a pretty strong statement. Here's a shot taken by the FZ28 at ISO 1600 (the second image is 100% crop). Sure there is noise but a lot of detail was well preserved (look at the printed house on the wine label). This is the "out of the camera" image. However, I ran this image through Photoscape and came out with a great picture.
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:06 PM   #1035

Very nicely done Tullio-

That is indeed very impressive. Thanks for clearing that up. If I can have your permission, I will re-post the photos (with full credit, of course) into the other thread as I want those viewers of that thread to see these very impressive images. Did you use Neat Image or Noise Ninja? I was surely wrong. Thanks a lot.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:25 AM   #1036

The FZ28 is a very capable camera. I hardly use any other of my cameras these days.

Yes, you can use my pictures to illustrate your comments. I did not do any post processing to these images. I did experiment with Photoscape and Neatimage but I haven't posted those images.

Tullio
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:56 AM   #1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The FZ28 is a very capable camera. I hardly use any other of my cameras these days.

Yes, you can use my pictures to illustrate your comments. I did not do any post processing to these images. I did experiment with Photoscape and Neatimage but I haven't posted those images.

Just for what its worth..I viewed your photo and just took one of my tea cup...with the H20 at 1600..

your thoughts.. (no flash..)

littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1038

That is a great photo, littlejohn-

Very well done! Your photo shows very convincingly what the amazing little Sony H-20 camera can do.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1039

Default The H-9 Rides Again

There has not been much activity in this thread, so I thought it was time to get it moving again. My photo today is an indoor, no flash photo taken with the ill fated H-9 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 22, 2009 at 4:17 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1040

Good shots, John and Sarah. It looks like the H20 handles high ISO fairly well.

Tullio