Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:17 PM   #241

Your right Tullio nothing wrong with that shot or CB401's young bald eagle, but from what I've seen, the guys with the Canon DSLR with an L lens and optical viewfinder has a huge advantage over the Sony H series with only an EVF, plus these guys machine gun the BIF with their higher frames per sec, sure to get a result.

A couple of pelicans on a mangrove creek late afternoon, Camera: Sony DSC-F707 + Olympus B-300 1.7x teleconverter.
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:29 PM   #242

I agree... you certainly have a better chance to get that great shot with a dSLR, specially because of its fast focusing system when compared to the H cameras. However, you might run into a different type of problem...camera shake. You either need to have the speed set real high and do some sort of panning or have shake reduction either in the camera or built into the lens. That's the advantage of the H cameras. You get a lot of zoom AND the shake reduction, which I find to be very efficient on the H series (despite ofwhat some reviewers say). I just wish that the H1 would focus faster and have a better noise control at a higher ISO. Here's another bird shot. This one was taken with the Ricoh TC-200M1.4x tele converter. It's a nice converter in the sense that it's very small and light, easy to carry around. But, it produces a lot of purple fringing. It's good for still life shots, not so good (as you can see) for flying birds.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:45 PM   #243

Great shot of the Pelicans! I love the warmcolors! What is the mount size of the F707 lens?I'd like to use a tele converter withmy R1but the ones I have are either 52mm, 58mm or 62mm. I've tried the 52 and 58mm converters but they cause too much vignetting. I'm waiting for the step down ring (67-62mm) to arrive so I can try the TCON-14B. There is a special tele converter for the R1 but it costs over $250 and I'm not paying that much money. I've never heard of the Oly B-300 so I just did some research and found out that it has a 55mm mount size. So, unless the F707 lens is a 55mm mount, you had to use a step down ring as well. Did you have to crop the image too much to get rid of the dark corners?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:58 PM   #244

The DSC-F707 has a58mm thread and yes I use a 58-55mm step-down ring, vignetting comes in about 125mm and below on the 707's 38-190mm lensso on this pelican shot their was none as it was shot at 190mm + the B-300 (323mm).

The current TCON 17 is the replacement to the Olympus B-300 and is lighter and way cheaperthan the original, this same combination works fine on the H series as well.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:29 PM   #245

Actually those were taken with my H9, as are both of these next two.

This is along Portage Road, south of Anchorage.

Attached Images

CB401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:32 PM   #246

This was taken after it had been raining for two days. The Raven and the Seagull seemed to be fairing much better than the Bald Eagle, who looked like he was having a bad hair day.

Attached Images

CB401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:30 PM   #247

Wow. this is a very nice Picture...
thokoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:57 PM   #248

That is an excellent shot! The three birds look likea few old menstanding aroundand talking about the weather!!Awesome!!!

This and the Siberians are my favorites.

:|:|:|

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:57 PM   #249

That is one angry bird!
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:07 PM   #250

Ah, the reason you get less vignetting is because the F707 has a longer zoom than the R1. The Sony 1.7x tele I have (very nice lens BTW) has a 58mm mount so my guess is that the B-300 being 55mm would vignetting even more. I guess that's one of the reasons why the R1 tele converter is so expensive...it's probably a 67mm mount lens.

Very nice shots, CB401!