Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:27 PM   #321

Good shot of a cozy place. The camera handled ISO 400 well.In the UK, one can no longer take photos in public places (fear of terrorism, I guess). Many times I was photographing places such as the Victoria Train station in London and a display in a shopping mall in Lincoln, and was approached by security personnel who asked about my photos and told me not to take any more pictures. Even in small restaurants such as this one you tookthis picture of, I was asked not to photograph. Absolutely crazy!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:45 PM   #322

That really shows how things have changed in the last 6 years, since 09/11. I got very close to a H-7 today I had the bit till the last minute. Oh well! Do you think it that much better than the H-5?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:20 AM   #323

I can't say much about theH7/H9 since I don't owe one. From what I've read, some people love it (more so the H9...the H7 does not seem to be very popular at all) and some people hate it. My personal opinion?The H7/H9are notthat great. The IQ is certainly not better than the H5 (even the oldH1 with its limitations in terms of high ISO, and speed, produces better images). You already have the H5 and the S5 so I'd wait either for Sony's next generation or for the new Pana FZ18. It certainly looks promising (but then again, so did the H7/H9).
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:27 AM   #324

This shot was take with the H1 + TCON-14B tele converter (IMO, one of the best tele converters out there, even though it's only 1.4x). The H1 is certainly a "duck" camera.
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:51 AM   #325

Great feather detail in that shot Tullio. agree with your comments on the H7/9 that the image quality compared to the earlier H series is not as good, this I believe is the compression applied to the new camera's image whichshould not behard to fix in the next rendition of the H series.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:23 AM   #326

Cardwell, Nth Queensland, Australia.

Camera: Sony DSC-F707

Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:09 AM   #327

I'm not sure why Sony skip H3/H4 and H6/H8 model numbers. Go figure. I would not be able to guess what the next generation will be but hopefully it will be better than the H7/H9.

Wirraway, that's a lovely beach. Can you post the original photo? I think you made the shaded area a bit too bright in an attemptto show the details. I kinda like to seea bit morecontrast, specially in scenes like this one. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:16 AM   #328

I would just like to see a point and shoot with a farther zoom.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:44 AM   #329

Here you are Tullio, Imight have overdone it with the shadow/highlight tool, plus this shot was taken near the middle of the day. Feel free anybodyto have a play with it.

Update: Ihad another go at the 1st one, reduced the contrast and unsharp mask.

Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:42 AM   #330

Tullio, tried the shadow/highlight tool in Elements 3 on your duck to see what happens, hope you don't mind,just the one click on the default setting, what do you think? love this feature on Elements 3.

Attached Images