Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:00 PM   #361

Nice captures, Warraway and Sarah. I'm sure that turtle is forever thankful! No words on your H9, Sarah???
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:07 PM   #362

Chrystie-

We are delighted to hear that you are really enjoying the photos in this thread. Drop by often and add a photo or two.

For today, I will give you a bit of insight into a local industry. I live in a small town along the Oregon Coast in a little town with 8,000 people living here, as most already know. We have lots of commericial fishing here and crabbing. Therefore, our port is an important place to the community. It is not unusual to see fishing or crab boats entering or leaving the harbor on any day of the week, as you can see in the photo below.

In addition to our fishing and crabbing industries, our little 10 mile strip running north and south along the Pacific Ocean coastline grows over 80% of all the EasterLillies sold in the USA. The cool, dampconditions along the coastline are ideal for the Easter Lillies. Naturally, the biggest push on Easter Lillies is at Easter time. During the balance of the year, local growers devote their time to producing Easter Lilly bulbs. That is what is going on right now during our summertime.

It is hot in other parts of the USA. Here along the Oregon Coast, the fog is hanging around today, and our predicted high temp is 68. So our climate is quite a bit different than in other areas of the USA. The next couple of photos will give you a little infomoration about how Easter Lilly bulbs are produced. Below you will see how aLilly Field is laid out with the furrows in place along with irrigation pipes, in case we run into a spell of continuing sunshine and heat. Here along the Oregon Coast in the winter timethe temps never go below 40 degrees and in the summer time a really hot day is around 78 to 80 degrees. We have only hit 100 degrees or over once in the last 15 years. So here is the Easter Lilly field laid out for planting.

When the planting time comes, the item planted are called, "sets." Sets are produced by very precisely slicing an already existing Easter Lilly bulb into small parts. These small sets or parts of the Easter Lilly bulb are planted and cultivated to produce more Easter Lilly bulbs. Here is was a field of half way grown Easter Lilly plants look like. If you look closely you can see that irrigation pipe in place as well.

When the plants are fully grown the plants are pulled from the ground. The top foilage is cut off and saved to be later plowed back into the soil. The remainder whichare the Easter Lilly bulbs are carefully dried, packaged, and sold all over the USA for folks who want to grow Easter Lillies.

Thanks for listening and enjoying the photos. We hope you are also having a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:33 PM   #363

Sarah,

What a lovely location to live in. Between you and Nick I have a travel log here.

We like to vsisit zoos for weekend vacations.

Here is a favorite of mine that one of my twins took on 2003 when she was 14 with a TRV80 Sony camcorder. Lemurs are one of her favorite creatures. I use this picture as part of my desktop.

Mercury
Attached Images

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:46 PM   #364

Her Blue and Gold Macaw...also taken at 14 in 2003 at the same zoo. (One of my favorite Parrots.)

We love birds. My daughters have two African Greys,a Yellow Naped Amazon, a Red Grand Eclectus, and a Sun Conure. :-)

Mercury
Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:49 PM   #365

Chrystie-

Many thanks! Both of those photos are great. My favorite is the beautiful parrot, or is it a macaw? I am not sure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:49 PM   #366

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Chrystie-

Many thanks! Both of those photos are great. My favorite is the beautiful parrot, or is it a macaw? I am not sure.

Sarah Joyce
Yes. It's a Blue and Gold. My favorite of the Macaws.

Regards = Chrystie
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:15 PM   #367

Chrystie-

Thanks for helping me get it right.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:06 AM   #368

Hi Sarah and Christie, excellent pictures from both of you.

Sarah,thanks for sharing the info. about the area where you live. My Father-in-Law used to live in Half Moon Bay, a little town by the coast here in N. Calif, not too far from San Francisco. The weather there apparentlyis very similar to where you live. They loved it but we didn't. We would go there for a visit, leaveour house in San Jose undera beautiful 90 degree sunny day andarrive under the grey and cold 58 degreefoggy day. I guess you either like it or hate it. I enjoy my swimming pool, lots of sun and good Mai-Tai's.

Christie, it seems to me that somevideo cameras cantake better pictures than some digital still photo camera can record video.That is one nice looking Parrot!
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:12 AM   #369

I don't usually do much B&W photography these days but many years ago, I used to develop my own B&W films. So, every now and then I spend some time converting some shots to B&W and I must admit, it's fun. Here is a photo I took in Lake Tahoe with my H1. I had just purchased the camera right before my trip and when I returned, I was amazed by the quality of the images it took.
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:57 AM   #370

I found it interesting about the Easter lillies Sarah, very informative.

Good shots Mercurycu, like the Lemur expression.

Nice B/W from the H1 Tullio.

Cabarita headland, northern New South Wales, 2 hours drivesouth of Brisbane, Camera: DSC-F707

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote