Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:31 PM   #421

Townsville cultural festival.

Camera: Sony DSC-H5 @ ISO 800
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:47 PM   #422

Tullio wrote:
Cyber, you are right...the Gold Country is a photographer's paradise (specially during Spring time. I took hundreds of pictures during our 4-day visit. Will post some more later.

Thanks please do

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:47 PM   #423

Good Morning to all-

All of the posted photos look really great.

We head out on 24 September and we first have a two month contract with Norwegian Cruise Lines, and the another for a month with Princess Cruises. So when we leave at the end of September we are gone through the end of the year.

I have been doing the revision of the course textbook and updating all of the PowerPoint presentations, so I doubt that I will have time to sandwich in a multi camera test. The photos that I am able to post are now being done during my breaks from the book and the PowerPoint. I do not have the Canon S-5 or S-3 because I returned them. I just have the canon S-2. I do have the Sony H-2, H-5, and H-9 and a Panasonic FZ-7. just to update you on the camera inventory.

Here is a shot that I took with my H-2 that really shows the sharpness of that lens. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:06 PM   #424

Hi Sarah, I now remember you getting that Panasonic FZ7 just before a cruiseXmas last year, oh well you could still do a test with the 3 Hx series and see if Simon is right about the H2 as the pick of them.

Car ferry returning to Townsville from Magnetic Island (trip takes 20min).

Camera: Sony DSC-H5
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:30 PM   #425

Great shot of the Polonesian dance, Wirraway. It reminds me of the Luau's in Hawaii.

What a tough life, Sarah! How can you handle giving all these photography workshops on cruises!:-)Will you have Internet access? Perhaps you can post some shots taken during those trips. Now, the question is, which camera are you taking along with you? That H2 does have a sharp lens...perhaps even sharper than the H5 because of that 1 less MP. That's a real problem these days. Camera manufacturers keep increasing the number of MP w/o increasing the sensor size and as a result, higher MP cameras tend to have a much softer image. It's all about marketing. The same is happening with the ISO business. Many P&S cameras now offer up to 3200 ISO. However, anything above 800 ispretty much unusable. So, what's the point? Again, marketing, marketing and marketing!

Anyway, here's another one from the Gold Country...
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:34 PM   #426

Nice shot of the car ferry (??? it does not look that big!), Wirraway!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:51 PM   #427

Tullio, nice scenery where that was taken, very well done.

This car ferry was one of the smaller ones although the largest ones only carry about 40 cars, there is also fast catamaran pax ferries as well that only take 15min to Magnetic Island, been living here for over 2 yrs and still have not been there yet. I keep posting shots of Queensland so here's a map to give you an idea, it goes to tropical from subtropicalfrom the Tropic of Capricorn going norththat runs right through Rockhampton. Bill & Hillary Clinton have reportablybuilt a luxury house at Port Douglas just above Cairns.

Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:03 PM   #428

Wirraway-

I really like the ferry photo of the ferry that goes to Magnetic Island.

Tullio-

That Gold Country creek shot is one of the best yet. Congratulations! You know how it is, somebody has to do the dirty work. I actually enjoy doing these workshops on cruise ships. You can see the quality of your students photos actually improve as they complete the camera exercises that are a part of the workshop. No, the internet is certainly not free! It costs $(US) 0.75 per minute. So I cannot afford the luxury of the internet while we are board working. I have two Cruise Directors who are good friends and camera fans that will let me use their office computers after working hours, but that seems to happen less and less now, as one has moved on and the other is slated for a promotion in the home office.

The virtues of the H-2 are well known. I agree with Tullio that 6mp for that imager was probably the optimum pixel density. The H-5 is a bit less sharp optically, and the 8mp on the H-9, is no doubt, a bit of overkill.

We have a heavy fog today, so outdoor photos, at least at max zoom, are out of the question. I did take this shot with the H-9 this morning around noon, but the lighting is very gray and flat.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:15 PM   #429

Hey it that the purple fringing they were talking about?? :lol: Sorry I had to say it :G
Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:16 PM   #430

You guys and galsare making me want to get the H9. :?