Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:36 PM   #431

If I were you, I'd wait for the FZ18 reviews to come out first, Cyber. If nothing else, it has an 18x zoom Leica lens as opposed to the 15x on the H9. I like Sony cameras but I also like Panasonic. That's what I'm doing anyway!

Thanks for the kind words, Sarah and Wirraway.

Nice macro, Sarah. I think the H9 in terms of macro retained the quality of the H1-H5.

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:45 PM   #432

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
If I were you, I'd wait for the FZ18 reviews to come out first, Cyber. If nothing else, it has an 18x zoom Leica lens as opposed to the 15x on the H9. I like Sony cameras but I also like Panasonic. That's what I'm doing anyway!

Thanks for the kind words, Sarah and Wirraway.

Nice macro, Sarah. I think the H9 in terms of macro retained the quality of the H1-H5.
I am done for a while buying cameras now I am buying lens for my Canon 30d.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:07 PM   #433

Tulio-

I am also interested to see how the FZ-18 fares in the reviews, but I am guessing that the FZ-18 might also have problems with excessive NR limiting the ISO settings to ISO 200 and below.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:59 PM   #434

The Panas are known for their noisy images. The FZ20 is pretty bad in that department (but it is also an old camera...one would hope that things would have improved since). I believe the FZ18 will do good up to ISO 400 and produce usable images at ISO 800 but nothing decentbeyond that. For me, that's good enough since I don't usually take pictures in real poor lighting conditions and I can always use flash for indoor shots. I'm more interested in the IQ atlong zoom than ISO performance. I can always clean up noise but I can not fix image softness caused by high internal NR or focus issues. I do believe that out of the three (H9, 550 and FZ18), the FZ18 will come up ahead. I don't consider the S5 as We'll see.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:50 PM   #435

Tullio-

I really don't feel the need for 15X, or even 18X optical zoom. The camera's performance in the zoom range up to around 10X optical zoom is much more important to me. Chalk it up to nothing more than personal preference. For now we will just have to sit back and wait for the professional reviews.

Given the H-2, H-5, and H-9, I will almost always go for the H-2 as I really like its optical performance. And the H-series have enough zoom for me.

This photo is not mine, owing to the fog we had all day long. It is from the internet. It is a H-9 photo that I really admired.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:37 AM   #436

I on the other hand, like the long zoom range...the more, the better. In fact, I have the Sony 1.7x tele converter that I use with my H1 (and FZ20) to extend its focal lens even further. I use the long range to photograph birds and other wild life animals, so having the 18x zoom capability w/o having to carry an extra tele converter is awesome. The other option is the R1, which has been my favorite camera since I bought it a few months ago. The IQ is so great that I can just use its 5x zoom and crop the heck out of it. That's what a CMOS sensor does for you!

Talking about the R1, here's a shot I took in Betsy-Y-Coed in Wales. The high contrast areasexercise the camera's capabilities and dynamic range!
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:11 AM   #437

Good Morning, Tullio-

My Goodness but that is a very impressive photo taken in Wales. I really admire it. It is a great testament to what the Sony R-1 can do. Did you using any filtering of any kind? Tullio, I sort of thought that you might really prefer the long end of the zoom lens. As I said previously, we all have our personal preferences. And that is perfectly OK.

Well the fog is still with us, although it is a bit thinner this morning. Perhaps it will clear around 12:00pm. At least I am hoping so. This is what it looks like right now (8:13am). Have a Great Labor Day weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:48 PM   #438

Good morning, Sarah. Boy, I can handle the rain but having fog everyday like that would kill me! But, we have our good share of fog here in the Bay Area as well (but not in San Jose where I live!!!). It drives me crazy. Many days I leave my house to go to work under a beautiful sunny sky and by the time I'm in San Mateo, it's foggy, grey and cold.

Anyway, this photocame right out of the camera, with no PP at all. I usually don'tuse filters except for an UV forprotection and a polarize every now and then. But, I got the camera 3 days prior to my trip and since I did not have any 67mm UV filter, I took my chances andbrought the camera alongw/o any filter at all. The R1 is an amazing (and fun) camera.

I read an article about Casio's new camera that's in development. It's supposed to be a 12x zoom using the newly developed Sony CMOS sensor. Now, that'd be something to keep an eye on! Perhaps I'll hold on to any purchase until they release this camera (although I do want more zoom than 12x zoom).

Here's another one from Wales taken in Snowdon.
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:02 PM   #439

Hi Tullio-

It almost 2:30pm and we are still in dense fog. I liked at the second R-1 (am I correct I assuming that it was an R-1 photo?) a lot. That really looks to be an impressive camera. I would like to have on, but I already have too many cameras.

Well I had a student drop by this afternoon with an Olympus SP-550, so I cound not resist an informal max zoom lens test, done inside with no flash, all hand held. The FZ-7 was done at ISO 200, all the rest at ISO 400. All photos were post processed the exact same way and all photos were reduced to the same size image. And take a look Tullio! your predictions on the Panasonic FZ-7 look to be correct.

Finally, here is the Canon S-2IS image:

It took a bit of time to put this together, but I think it was worth it. Note the the Sony H-2 and H-5 are very close to the FZ-7.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:42 PM   #440

Tullio-

The first two photos were taken with the FZ-18 in Berlin at a Photo Show today (09/01/07) and are supposedly at 18X optical zoom. The other photo, in this group of three photos is from Canada.

The last photo is from Vancouver, BC at a place call Lighthouse Park. It only appears to be a FZ-18 photo, I am not positive that it is. It obviously was not at the maximum zoom. However, it is a very pleasant photo. I found all of these today on the internet and though you might be interested.

Sarah Joyce