Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:46 AM   #441

Sarah, thanks for your camera test between the superzooms, if my eyes don't deceive me, for sharpness, 1st Sony H2, 2nd H5, 3rd Panasonic F7, 4th Sony H9, 5th Olympus SP-550.

Great shots everyone, keep them coming.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:28 AM   #442

Thanks, Sarah. I totally agree with Wirraway that the H2 is the winner. I would rank the H5 second is it wasn't for its poor handling of WB. The FZ7 may not be wuite as sharp but overall the picture is closer to reality. The H9 performed exactly as I expected, reason why I was curious to see the results of long zoom shots. The image quality suffers from the noise reduction system and focus is far from sharp. The Oly 550 is also known for its poor IQ at 18x zoom. I'm almost positive the FZ18 will beat them allhands down (the newer models, that is, with zoom greater than 15x - so the Canon S5 does not qualify).

Yes, Sarah, the previous image I posted was also taken with the R1. You can still find it on eBay and it's worth every penny. On my trip to the UK I took the R1 and the Pentax K100 w/ a 70-300mm lens only, I rarely used the Pentax.

Here's another R1 shot taken from a movingtrain as we toured the Welsh countryside (keep in mind that the R1 does not have IS).
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:36 AM   #443

'Mt Pinatubo Eruption' Philippines
Taken June 15th 1991,this was the day before the night I thought I was going to die, drinking 1.5 bottle's of barcardi rum in a
bar lit by candle light with staff asking are we going to die, was I scared, you had better believe it. Many expatfriends lost their businesses that night.

In the twentieth century, this (1991) eruption was second in size only to an eruption in Katmai, Alaska, in 1912. Ten times larger than the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980, Pinatubo's eruption threatened the lives of a million people. A giant ash cloud rose 35 kilometers into the sky and hot blasts seared the countryside, but a more serious disaster was averted by timely, accurate warnings. Philippine authorities were able to evacuate 60,000 people from the slopes and valleys, and the American military evacuated 18,000 personnel and their dependents from Clark Air Base below the mountain -- thus saving many thousands of lives and an estimated billion dollars in property and making this the most successful case of volcanic hazards mitigation in history.

Taken with a canon sureshot and print scanned on my new canon printer/scanner,would love to have had my
now trusty Sony F707 for a bit of quality in the shot
but the old canon was all I had back then.

Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:47 AM   #444

Awesome shot, Wirraway. The clouds and smoke formations are incredible and I'd say the old Canon did a pretty decent job. How far were you from the volcano? It seems pretty far away but still, it looks scary!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:18 AM   #445

Tullio, the road back to Manila where I livedwas closed and we were trapped for 3 days, it was raining pummel stones that night and the noise was deafining, the morning aftereverything was covered in ash that had not collapsed, we were about 15-17miles from the eruption. Got back to Manila (70 miles) to find my condo with thin coating ofash covering everything, it was about this point of timeI decided to move back home to Australia.

Another nice shot as well Tullio.

Ross River, Townsville,Nth Queensland,Camera Sony DSC-H5

Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:25 AM   #446

Sarah, your pictures of the books confirms what I
thought all along. The H2 is sharpest of any of them.
I hear they can be bought for a little over $200 if you can find
one. Glad I got mine and am going to keep it for sure.... Jim
Tuscola Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:09 AM   #447

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
'Mt Pinatubo Eruption' Philippines
Taken June 15th 1991,this was the day before the night I thought I was going to die, drinking 1.5 bottle's of barcardi rum in a
bar lit by candle light with staff asking are we going to die, was I scared, you had better believe it. Many expatfriends lost their businesses that night.

In the twentieth century, this (1991) eruption was second in size only to an eruption in Katmai, Alaska, in 1912. Ten times larger than the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980, Pinatubo's eruption threatened the lives of a million people. A giant ash cloud rose 35 kilometers into the sky and hot blasts seared the countryside, but a more serious disaster was averted by timely, accurate warnings. Philippine authorities were able to evacuate 60,000 people from the slopes and valleys, and the American military evacuated 18,000 personnel and their dependents from Clark Air Base below the mountain -- thus saving many thousands of lives and an estimated billion dollars in property and making this the most successful case of volcanic hazards mitigation in history.

Taken with a canon sureshot and print scanned on my new canon printer/scanner,would love to have had my
now trusty Sony F707 for a bit of quality in the shot
but the old canon was all I had back then.

Actually Wiraway I am a Filipino... I was in 1st Year in college when Mt. Pinatubo erupted and I experience those ash falls way back in Manila and its really frightening. Your taken picture looks so cool considering you are on a dangerous situation while taking it..

I'm eager to see more of your fabulous post.

icecoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:41 AM   #448

Good Morning to all-

Tullio-

The only Canon S-series camera that I own is the S-2IS. It was out on loan yesterday to another student. I will be getting it back around noon, so I will be able to take a photo at around 2:30pm, which was the same time I took the other photos yesterday, and then add it to my post with the other photos. Many thanks for another R-1 photo. It is a very impressive camera. I can readily see why you took more photos with the R-1 than the K-100 with the long zoom lens. BTW, no fog this morning! That is nice. The Chamber of Commerce has a huge Salmon Fishing Derby going on this weekend. The fishing has been pretty slow due to the fog. Thus far, the biggest salmon caught yet is a 39 pounder. The Derby continues through tomorrow, Labor Day, so things should pickup.

The H-2 appears to be just about the optimun pixel density for the H-series cameras. I am very impressed with the H-2 that I was able to pickup recently, and I find myself using it even more than my H-5 already. Ilike it a lot.

Wirraway-

Thanks so very much for sharing with us your experience with the erruption of Mount Pinatubo. Yes, I have been through Clark AFB many times. I was in a Transport Squadron and we did the diplomatic run from Sangley Point to Clark AFB, to Taipei, and on into Hong Kong twice a week for over a year. I am sure that was a very frightening event when the road to Manila was shut down. The volcano shot and the H-5 shot in Townsville are excellent, thanks for sharing them with us.

Carlos-

I have spent a lot of time in your nice country. I was based at Sangley Point for over two years, way back in 1959 through 1961, that was probably before or near the time you were born. The road to Manila was so horribly pot holed that we used to take the boat to Manila.

Well today, Cavite is a huge suburb of Manila with a freeway connecting it to Manila and there are lots of people and fancy shopping centers in Cavite. My Goodness! How times change.

Have a great day everyone! Here is an H-2 shot from one of our sunny days.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:53 AM   #449

Tullio-

Here is a very nice FZ-18 shot from the Vancouver BC area where the FZ-18 went on sale over a month ago. It is at the full 18X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:30 AM   #450

Great shots Sarah & Tullio.

Carlos, hope you are doing ok in Abu Dhabi, I lived in Manila for over 5 years and finished up marrying my Filipina secratary in 1990 and have been happy ever since.

Sarah, what a small world, you have probably been in the same bar I was in that nightat Clarkton Hotel Balibagoon Perimeter roadnear the base gate, the Americans evacuated 48 hrs before, last Xmas landed there from Singapore on Tiger Airlines who fly the route twice a day as well as other low-cost airlines from Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taipaiand Macau, a lot different now from the good old days when there were over 20,000 on the base.

Your oldbase in Cavite is now an export processing zone where I believe Intel have a fab, my wifes family now live in Cavite and I can assure you there is still pot holes in the road and getting to Manila can take up to 2 hours, the traffic is nearly as gridlocked as Bangkok.

Jim, hang on to your H2, just before I travelled to S.E.Asia Dec last year that was the camera I was after, but all the camera shops had at that time here in Townsville was the H5 so settled for that and a DSC-W100 as I refused to risk taking my F707 for fear of theft.Over on STF they are saying the H2 is available at Target stores for US$225, if I were there I would pick one up for that bargin price in a heartbeat.